Arban

picju96

Does anyone play the studies at the back of the arban? I can play them, I mean get the notes in and everything, but I'm having trouble breathing, and still keeping in time. Anyone have any suggestions how I can sort this, or does it just take time and breathing exercises? I'm playing numbers 2, 5 and 9.

Julia

picju96 said:
Does anyone play the studies at the back of the arban? I can play them, I mean get the notes in and everything, but I'm having trouble breathing, and still keeping in time. Anyone have any suggestions how I can sort this, or does it just take time and breathing exercises? I'm playing numbers 2, 6 and 9.

Julia

I'm doing number9 at the moment, and me & my music teacher went through it yesterday. If you chop it up into about 5 -7 sections, say everytime there is a quaver or crotchet rest, then play through that section and sort out 2 breathing places. Then play it slowly to keep in time, breathe and fit all the notes in. Then gradually speed it up until everything fits. Then move onto the next section!

It worked no problem for me, and it's easy to speed up too.

Oh an if you're still finding it hard to breathe, play quieter!

rutty

Take bigger breaths! Sit up straight, don't slouch and breath down to the bottom of your lungs - keep your shoulders down. If you lift your shoulders when breathing in you're actually restricting the way that your lungs work.

Or so said my old tutor....

cornetgirl

I agree with rutty - but it's also a case of getting used to the study too. Once you are fluent with the notes then breathing gets easier, trust me!

Rach x

IckleSop

Just burn it and then you wont have to worry about any of the studies.......Genius!!!
not only will you be walm for the next year it makes funny colours on the fire......and of course im jokin

super_sop

Supporting Member
Why burn it when you can give it away and inflict the pain on someone else!!
I had an Arban once and lent it to a young lad trying to get in the Marines band That was the last i saw of it :cry:

geordiecolin

Its all ok!!
According to KepplerI am doing a degree in "Arban Studies and Planning"

Oh no, wait a minute! It's Urban Studies and Planning.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the only way to get anywhere near the studies is to slow them down, and slowly build up speed on them.

WorldofBrass.com

CD ; THE ARBAN COLLECTION

On Sunday, a new CD called THE ARBAN COLLECTION is released.
Russell Gray performs 9 of the 18 solos found at the back of the 'method'.
He plays on one of Arban's own cornets and is accompanied by the Fodens Richardson Band.
You may have seen an article about the project in the BB dated 17th May.

You can pre-order a copy from our Mail Order department now (020 7367 6580) or, if you are at the Cambridge Masters on Sunday, pick up a copy from our trade stand.

Straightmute

Rutty and Cornetgirl have said all the important stuff. But try to make sure you blow all your 'dead' air out through the instrument, rather than having to breathe out before you can breathe in, which takes longer and makes you feel breathless.

D

WhatSharp?

I've got two Arbans (though one is in about 8 different peices). To be honest though I don't think I've ever got as far as the studies at the back... I usually skip straight over them and murder Carnival of Venice. :D

rutty

WhatSharp? said:
I've got two Arbans (though one is in about 8 different peices). To be honest though I don't think I've ever got as far as the studies at the back... I usually skip straight over them and murder Carnival of Venice. :D
Me too.... Never could play the triple-tongueing section :cry:

WhatSharp?

I can do that OK, I just see all those dots at the back and start getting a headache. It's usually about that time I reach for the old "Tune a day" :D

I've just had a closer look at your avatar rutty... for ages I though it was you and a couple of mates dressed as nurses.... where did you get those nurses from?, I hope you put them back once you'd finished with them and didn't just leave them lying around :wink:

rutty

WhatSharp? said:
I've just had a closer look at your avatar rutty... for ages I though it was you and a couple of mates dressed as nurses.... where did you get those nurses from?, I hope you put them back once you'd finished with them and didn't just leave them lying around :wink:
It's a mother/daughter combo - from Pontins 2001. Some booze was involved ;)

WhatSharp?

rutty said:
WhatSharp? said:
It's a mother/daughter combo - from Pontins 2001. Some booze was involved ;)

:D Don't say anymore.... you could get into lots of trouble.....

picju96 said:
but I'm having trouble breathing and still keeping in time

Sorry to sound like cap'n obvious, but pencil in breath marks & use a metronome, and be strict. Don't stop if you make a mistake. And then go back & work on your mistakes & work on the individual passages.

Keppler

Staff member
picju96 said:
but I'm having trouble breathing ....

Call the Doctor..

(sorry - god my posts are really gone to the dogs. Consider this me issuing a moderator warning to myself)

rutty

You wanna blow my what? said:
picju96 said:
but I'm having trouble breathing and still keeping in time

Sorry to sound like cap'n obvious, but pencil in breath marks & use a metronome, and be strict. Don't stop if you make a mistake. And then go back & work on your mistakes & work on the individual passages.

Like he says - practise makes perfect. It might get repetitive, but eventually these sort of exercises will help to improve your breathing, phrasing and all-round playing. Don't start too fast otherwise you'll just get frustrated. Slowly to start, then speed it up when you feel confident.

Maybe I should try that too.... :wink: