Arban Book

Cornishwomble

Just wondering how people incorporate their Arban book into their private practice.
I have one myself and usually just blindly flick through it playing exercises at random. I might choose specific exercises if I feel a certain part of my playing is slipping (usually toungeing!!)

Just wondered if anyone had a "set of exercises" from the book they used or how others use the book in general (apart from wanting to burn it!)

super_sop

Supporting Member
HA lent mine to a toe rag at a band i played for years ago, he then proceeded to vanish off the face of the plantit.
Lucky escape if ya ask me..... i have enough trouble looking after music stands as it is.

In all seriousness, i think it is/was! a great book and helped me a great deal in my earlier years as a player. somthing i could do with getting again i think.

I don't use the Arban myself but this is a common problem I have seen. What I do with my students is to pick a few excercises (some long notes, slurs, tounging, scales etc) and put either a number 1, 2 or 3 against them. Then run the excersises in a 3 day cycle. The other thing I emphasise is that they should always try to improve the excersise from the last time they played it (even if it is an easy long note thing!!).

There is so much in this book, plenty of excercises for sight reading, keep someone interested, but where do you start.

I take it insections, do a few work on them and move on but still coming back to them - only been playing it for 2 years and there are still sections I have not looked at!

JessopSmythe

I still have written in the front of mine the set excercises my peri teacher gave me as a young euph player many moons ago.

Normal warm up
Page 59 (Major Scales)
Page 28 (Rapid single tongueing)
Page 75 (Minor Scales (Melodic))
Page 142 (Major and minor chord excercises)
Page 175 (Double tongueing)
Page 38 (Slurs)
Page 125 (Mixed Intervals)

Long notes
Lip Slurs
Band Parts
any solo work.
Warm down.

I still don't know whether this is a generic list given to all his students or whether it was tailored to the weaker areas of my playing at that time. I'll see him this weekened at the SYBB reunion. I wonder if he'll remember :)

Euph-Bari

since i started wiv my new teacher he has given my so many exersises i should do every time i practice - some being more important if not enough time

has helped alot

i mostly use the arban along with a lip flexibility book

My teacher loves the Arban :(

It's not really a set thing, at the moment, she has set me Study #9, triple tounging, some interval work and chromatic exercises. She says the exercises will appear in pieces and ill just know how to play them wjen i see them because ive done the Arban work....

My practise consists of what my teacher has set me, then whatever i fancy playing, like my favourite solos and pieces that make me sound good, hehe! Then playing through band music i can't play and my favourite band pieces. I find i get bored of practising if i don't enjoy it, so i play things i like along with the Arban stuff that i don't like. It's a sort of compromise with my teacher, it means i practise...!

iggmeister

I dont use the Arban much anymore. It's a bit 'samey' in that it is always in the same keys.

I have a great Herbert Clarke book of Characteristic Studies which has a study in every major and minor key. they make most of the Arban studies look like tune a day.

Nevertheless, I find some of the most useful exercises in the Arban are the simplest. The slurring minims at the start of the book are always my starting point if I'm not happy with my playing standard.

I do agree with a previous comment that it you can play most of the arban then the sort of stuff that comes up in day to day brass band music will be very similar and you have a bit of a headstart.

My guiding motto was said by Wynton Marsalis. He said that practice is meant to make you feel bad about yourself. After all, you should be practising music that you cant play rather than 'showboating' on music that you can play. Once you can play it, then you move on to something else stretching yourself each time.

Igg

aons'ghost

Great book full of bits of paper and just the right size to hold up the side of a wonky filing cabinet I have. Serioiusly I lost the will to live when I opened it up alomost thirty years ago. Still I never'really' paid for it, £5 in a second hand book shop. I thinks it's nearly thirty quid to buy now:(

Di B

Have an Arban but don't use it often... mainly use the appegios (is that spelt right?!) as lip slurring and flexibility exercises, the double and triple tonguing excercises and the studies at the back.

I think my favourite tutor is the Wright and Round Complete Method. There are basic hymn tunes (from pp to ff and back again), pages on scales which can also be used for finger/tongue/articulation practice, and the best bit, several studies, but all are very short (1/3 to 1/2 page each). Especially in my younger years I would get half way through an Arban study and be knackered! I also found that they were quite a big challenge to take on back then too. The Wright and Round studies were still challenging but as they were shorter I found I could concentrate much more on them and to play them well seemed like an attainable goal compared with the Arban.

If you ever see it flying around (the cover has changed I think but it used to be orange!!) have a nosey in it.... I think it is certainly less scary than the Arban for newer players!!!

I have just started playing again after 15 years and I have a tutor to help my technique etc. I use Arban for semi quavers and triple tonguing, (sorry had a few classes of wine and don't know how to spell tonguing anymore) I am working on the 1st of the 14 studies and have lost the wil to live, I also use it for long notes and mixed intervals, I also use a lip slur book called how brass players do it or something like that.

PeterBale

Staff member
floral_dance said:
I have just started playing again after 15 years and I have a tutor to help my technique etc. I use Arban for semi quavers and triple tonguing, (sorry had a few classes of wine and don't know how to spell tonguing anymore) I am working on the 1st of the 14 studies and have lost the wil to live, I also use it for long notes and mixed intervals, I also use a lip slur book called how brass players do it or something like that.

How many classes in a bottle, or is it a drinking school you belong to :?: :lol: :lol:

PeterBale said:
floral_dance said:

How many classes in a bottle, or is it a drinking school you belong to :?: :lol: :lol:

Peter just read this this morning :oops: maybe I should give up wine and stick to a nice cup of tea. :?