Anyone know any good horn and flugel features?

Does anyone out there know of any decent horn and flugel features that we could play?

I know:

Hey Jude (after 10 years of playing it I'm sick, sick, sick of it!)
Winter from the Four Seasons (absolutely gorgeous but a bit out of season!)

Any more for any more?????

Cheers.

Dave Payn

I thought We've Only Just Begun (Ashmore) was a quartet feature for horn section and lead baritone. I'm probably getting it mixed up! Anyway, can't remember who arranged it (I'm sure someone on here does!) but there's a duet for flugel and horn - an arrangement of the Crystal Gayle number Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue.

Philip sparke has quartet arrangement for the whole horn section. Can't rememer it off-hand... I think its morning song or something. we ran it in band a few weeks back and sounded nice and tranquil and all that with some very nice typical sparke features.

Di B

We've only just begun is indeed for horns and solo baritone. Bari needs to be able reach top C's without it sounding forced as a guide.

Anglo Music Press

Australian Euphonium said:
Philip sparke has quartet arrangement for the whole horn section. Can't rememer it off-hand... I think its morning song or something. we ran it in band a few weeks back and sounded nice and tranquil and all that with some very nice typical sparke features.
It is indeed called Morning Song. Available from your local dealer!!

HBB

Dave Payn said:
I thought We've Only Just Begun (Ashmore) was a quartet feature for horn section and lead baritone. I'm probably getting it mixed up! Anyway, can't remember who arranged it (I'm sure someone on here does!) but there's a duet for flugel and horn - an arrangement of the Crystal Gayle number Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue.

Goff Richards, under the psyeudonymn of Hugh Nash.

stephen_clapton

is the solo in light walk for cornet or flugal? i remember playing in a concert with Alan Morrison, and he played it on cornet............ :?

Aidan

may be wrong but i think its written on the flugal part and cued on the solo cornet. (or is it cornet 1)

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Nadia said:
may be wrong but i think its written on the flugal part and cued on the solo cornet. (or is it cornet 1)
Correct (as usual!). I suppose it's to give the option of playing it on cornet if your Flugel can't get up to the top C's. :?

Back on topic though.... have you tried the Elvera Madigan Theme? Can't remember who arranged it but it features 3 horns and Flugel and is not too cheesy. :wink:

asteria

WoodenFlugel said:
Back on topic though.... have you tried the Elvera Madigan Theme? Can't remember who arranged it but it features 3 horns and Flugel and is not too cheesy. :wink:
No, don't do it!!! A terrible terrible piece, it should never have been arranged for brass band, and certainly keep it away from the horn section! :evil:

I'd rather put up with Hey Jude thankyou!

stephen_clapton

maybe not everybodys choice, but do the horns start off the melody in You'll Never Walk Alone??? Or am i imagining things again? Maybe Nadia can fill us in on this one as well :wink:

nickjones

Horn Feature

there is a steve sykes arrangement of "we've only just begun" for quartet and band, works really well...
also I know it is baritone and horn but " Meiso " John Golland is brilliant too....

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Helen V said:
WoodenFlugel said:
No, don't do it!!! A terrible terrible piece, it should never have been arranged for brass band, and certainly keep it away from the horn section! :evil:

Shall I put you down as a "maybe" for that one then? :p

Aidan

Helen V said:
WoodenFlugel said:

agreed :) orrible :D
yabb memories spring to mind.

haha the buddah isnt sure on this one stephen-son but has a hunch you may be on the path to enlightenment with that one.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Nadia said:
Helen V said:
WoodenFlugel said:

agreed :) orrible :D
yabb memories spring to mind.

haha the buddah isnt sure on this one stephen-son but has a hunch you may be on the path to enlightenment with that one.
Not that I’m one for going back on what I’ve previously said but…
I’m beginning to regret suggesting it in the first place for 2 reasons:
1. I’ve just remembered that we played it at every job for (what seems like) years, until our conductor finally took it back in and then promptly left. When our new conductor started, guess what one of the first pieces he took out of the library was…… :roll:
2. Now I’ve remembered it, I can’t stop humming the flippin’ thing and it’s driving me mad :x

All together now

Dum, Da Dum, Da Duuuummmm, Da Da Da Da Daaa Da…… :evil: :evil:

nickjones

WoodenFlugel said:
Nadia said:
Helen V said:
WoodenFlugel said:
you had to open Pandora's box didnt you......cant get that bom bom bom. , bom bom bom ..dahhhhh dah dahhhhh dah dahhhhh dadadadadenehhhhh
it was arranged by the one and only Goff Richards...which I think is one of the earlier g richard arrangements as it says Godfrey Richards....I remeber as I burnt the set ( accidently a few years ago ) while house clearing a few years ago..... :twisted: :shock: :D

Norman Bearcroft did a festival arrangement for horns entitled 'On the Sunny Side'.

It's a bit on the cheesy side but all the same it's a good light number. Not sure if it involves the flugel though. World of Brass should have it for sale I think.

Paul Drury
Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

hornette

Ummmm though the name of the whole set of movements has slipped my mind at the moment... Gypsy Dream from that Cossack thing? It's a sort of for horns and flugel although it has a baritone part in it too!