Anybody else noticed this??!!

Griffis

I was listening to Now That's What I Call Brass Vol. 2 the other day and I thought to myself, since I've never heard BAYV's performance of St. Magnus at the Euros, I'll give it a bash. After about literally 15/20 seconds, I thought to myself..."This sounds exactly like the YBS performance at the Euros"...anyway, I listened on, and to my amazement heard the same splits in the same places from the same instruments!! I believe that the St. Magnus on the Now That's What I Call Brass CD is the YBS version that won on the day and not BAYV as the sleeve suggests.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed this!!
The only difference that I could see was the 3 second time difference in the track time.

lister89

Griffis said:
I was listening to Now That's What I Call Brass Vol. 2 the other day and I thought to myself, since I've never heard BAYV's performance of St. Magnus at the Euros, I'll give it a bash. After about literally 15/20 seconds, I thought to myself..."This sounds exactly like the YBS performance at the Euros"...anyway, I listened on, and to my amazement heard the same splits in the same places from the same instruments!! I believe that the St. Magnus on the Now That's What I Call Brass CD is the YBS version that won on the day and not BAYV as the sleeve suggests.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed this!!
The only difference that I could see was the 3 second time difference in the track time.

Cant say Ive listened to either... sorry!

Craigsav83

Interesting....

I have recordings of both, YBS on the European Highlights cd, and BAUV on their Day of the Dragon cd. There is I think 3 seconds difference in both of the performances, both are quite superb. (there can't possibly have been 4 bands between them in my opinion). It is unusual for 2 bands to have performances which are as close in time1

Havn't heard the other cd, so obviously this is completly useless information!

ginger_jo

I have heard from VERY reliable sources that this is definately YBS playing St. Magnus and not Cory although i have not heard the CD.

jonford

I'll have a listen later, I never noticed at all but I suppose the easiest way to see if they are the same is by comparing the cheering at the end!

brassneck

Definitely can say that it is YBS playing St. Magnus on the compilation. Introduction gave it away (intonation/tuning for the unison phrase).

BbBill

Supporting Member
One difference I think comparing Day of Dragon to Euro DVD, in Corys version when you hear that accending cornet run with sop finishing off on the high note about the 12min mark, it isnt just spot on, while I think YBS manage it fine! And from the clash cymbals near the end, Cory seemed to come straight in abit sooner with finish bit!! Could be well wrong tho....! YBS seem to hold last note for ages 2!

Both tremendous performances and heard them both live in Glasgow which was great :D

WorldofBrass.com said:
Well spotted!

Could have sworn that I read the 4br review saying Cory were on the CD!

Here it is:
------------------------------------------------------------------
The mischievous choice perhaps is Buy As You View Bands 'St. Magnus' - the performance that saw them bring the house down in Glasgow (and released on the European double CD) but which also saw them fail to move the three judges one iota into the bargain. You are left just scratching your head to why they didn't quite like it: Brass band contest adjudication can be a fickle maiden indeed.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps I read it wrong.

I've just read it again and I must have read it wrong again. Must get these eyes sorted out...

The CD producers were probably being fickle maidens... indeed.

Brian Bowen

So what does it say on the sleeve of the CD -- BAYV or YBS?

The World of Brass website states it's the YBS performance. Perhaps the misunderstanding stems from those mischievous(?) boys over at 4barsrest, who do harp on about the injustice of the adjudicators over the BAYV performance of "St Magnus" at the European. I didn't hear the BAYV performance but have the original recording of YBS playing it.

Griffis

It definately says that BAYV play St. Magnus on the sleeve as I'm looking at it now, and it definately is YBS playing it 'cause I'm listening to it now in one room, with the Euros CD on in another room, and both are playing at the same time...No, I'm not really that sad!!
I have the sleeve in front of me and it says BAYV!

Griffis said:
..."This sounds exactly like the YBS performance at the Euros"...anyway, I listened on, and to my amazement heard the same splits in the same places from the same instruments!!

Splits...from YBS ???

Ahhh, then we mere mortals still have a chance to be self-respecting when we have a go at St. Magnus...

Brian Bowen

I apologize for previously imputing that the error might have been down to 4barsrest (they'll be disappointed it's not BAYV). World of Brass have now owned up (did they realise the sleeve error before it was spotted by griffis?) but seem a little blasé about it.:shock:

IanHeard

Brian Bowen said:
I apologize for previously imputing that the error might have been down to 4barsrest (they'll be disappointed it's not BAYV). World of Brass have now owned up (did they realise the sleeve error before it was spotted by griffis?) but seem a little blasé about it.:shock:

I guess some christian business people are`nt as ethical as you have previously suggested.

Ian Heard.

Brian Bowen

kirmat said:
I guess some christian business people are`nt as ethical as you have previously suggested.

Ian Heard.
I'm guessing you're referring to comments I made in a different thread. Blasé certainly does not mean unethical -- such a suggestion would be completely without foundation. In fact, because World of Brass (SP&S) is a Christian organization I trust their ethics. I'm prepared to accept the incorrect attribution on the CD cover is a genuine, if careless, mistake.

Craigsav83

Mistakes can and do happen, look at last years regionals cd as another example, with Partita and Vizcaya being mixed up on the sleeve - a different situation I know, but they are mistakes, really just an inconvenience. Careless, yes. But we are all human, we all make mistakes.

Syrup

Will Griffis get his money refunded for the CD for being the first to spot the mistake, or even get a portion of the proof-readers salary for doing his job for him/her????