Any advice for a trumpet player with a hole in his lip!?!

sionowz

Hi i recently got hit in the lip and my tooth went straight through both sides.....the whole (on the bottom lip) is where my mouthpiece lies....will i have a problem playing after it heals? any advice?

super_sop

Supporting Member
i would have thought it would depend on the amount of damage done to the muscles in your lip dude. dont want to put a downwer on things, but i knew a cornet player how once got beet up, did his lip some damage when they split it. he was never the same after.

i hope you havent caused as much damage as he did.

best of luck dude, and i hope you have a quick recovery

stopher

Have had a similar thing - crashed into a wall riding my bike when I was 12 and bit through my cheek, right on the edge of my embouchure - it looks like I have an extra dimple when I smile!

Don;t really have a problem with it apart from a small lump inside my cheek where they stitched it up and can somethimes feel it pulling if I'm out of practice (very often!) or have been playing a long time and havn't warmed up.

Could be awkward if it is where your mouthpiece sits on your face as you could have a a bit of scarring if they had to stitch it - just have to let it settle down and take it from there but if you can still buzz and it doesn;t hurt when your mouthpiece sits on it, can't see a problem!

Like Laura said, give it a few weeks because it will be as sore as hell. The worst bit was the dissolving stitches - I had to gargle some foul stuff to let it dissolve and keep it clean which was a hell of a lot worse that the injury!

dave

lip problem

Go to my webite: www.playwritemusic.com and look up dissertation -there you will find info about my lip problem - I bit through my lower lip - into the steering wheel when a tractor drove out in front of my car.
Please let me know what you think of the dissertation - used for my master's degree.
I had a good (Aussie) plastic surgeon but I still have a big scar.
Is the scar big and whereabouts is it?

sionowz

its basically the same as your picture shows. mines not quite as big, but its quite similar. It only happned sat, so i dont know how it will scar yet. I only had 2 stitches in it so i wont need any surgery but my mouthpiece lies 2/3 lower lip and 1/3 upper lip.

Emb_Enh

I only had 2 stitches in it so i wont need any surgery but my mouthpiece lies 2/3 lower lip and 1/3 upper lip.
========================

let it heal up totally....and then some....hopefully the scar tissue will be minimal...

Griffin

Should be a problem when it heals. just let it heal!
I have my Labrett pierced (thats the bit under your bottom lip (not a lip ring though)), which I had done before I started playing (again - had 8 years off)
I get asked if it affects me, but it doesnt affect me at all - although I have knocked it on the odd occasion accidently with the mouthpiece which smarts a bit!
So if I can play with a stud in me bottom lip, you'll have no prob... just let it heal!