Another Competition: Midlands Area

Di B said:
You can tell who are the accountants at our band.... we have a full band, so including you percussiony people who throw things round at the back :lol: that is 27 pairs of fingers!!!

Well you know I'm only a mere percussionist - of course I can't count! And what do you mean by "throw things around at the back" - it's all co-ordinated. Honest... Don't you know we've won prizes????

Baldeagle

Re: Another Competition..Midland Area

Brian said:
Good luck to all my friends in the Midland Area, I'll be thinking of you on the day..Two bands for each section
Champ...Desford..Ransomes
1st.........Kibworth..NCT
2nd........Shirley...Harworth
3rd.........Carlton..Shirland
4th.........Bakewell..Long Eaton
But it's only a "HOBBY" so enjoy.....Brian.

Brian
Steve Mercs says have you still got the chair leg ? !!

Baldeagle

rutty said:
Di B said:
3rd: Carlton or... Carlton(!)
4th: Bakewell, Matlock or Long Eaton (but this might be biased! lol!)

Carlton Brass - of course!

Oddly, I'm fancying Matlock of the fourth section having heard them in Leicester last year - I thought they were excellent. I'd also like to see Long Eaton do well after last years success.

Bakewell have got to be in the running though.

Humm I take it that you were in your hole tonight as you we not at band :roll:

Brian

Re: Another Competition..Midland Area

Baldeagle said:
Brian said:
Good luck to all my friends in the Midland Area, I'll be thinking of you on the day..Two bands for each section
Champ...Desford..Ransomes
1st.........Kibworth..NCT
2nd........Shirley...Harworth
3rd.........Carlton..Shirland
4th.........Bakewell..Long Eaton
But it's only a "HOBBY" so enjoy.....Brian.

Brian
Steve Mercs says have you still got the chair leg ? !!

You can tell Merc'sy It is still being used to good effect in Thailand and Singapore where I also teach a little. Next month off to Japan to try it out there.. although it needed a repair job last year, tough little Korean. Brian

rutty

Baldeagle said:
rutty said:
Di B said:

Oddly, I'm fancying Matlock of the fourth section having heard them in Leicester last year - I thought they were excellent. I'd also like to see Long Eaton do well after last years success.

Humm I take it that you were in your hole tonight as you we not at band :roll:

Not in my hole - trouble at work. :cry:

Di B

HelterSkelter said:
Di B said:
You can tell who are the accountants at our band.... we have a full band, so including you percussiony people who throw things round at the back :lol: that is 27 pairs of fingers!!!

Well you know I'm only a mere percussionist - of course I can't count! And what do you mean by "throw things around at the back" - it's all co-ordinated. Honest... Don't you know we've won prizes????

Yep you won a prize at the Association for 'making the most noise from throwing things around at the back of the band' prize didn't you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huh! Percussionists and egos! :wink:

Still not found out how 4barsrests comes up with their predictions though :?

Di xx
www.matlockband.co.uk

Wonky_Baton

I haven't got a clue about the results but as I am coming down on the 9th I hope there is a decent pint on offer!!! 8)

geordiecolin

What about poor old us??

We did beat Matlock in the 3rd section last year by 4 places and we had a fairly good result in 3rd section at Pontins in the Autumn as well. 4th place at NEMMBA with a below strength band and temporary conductor was a good indicator. I doubt we'll win it but we'll there or there abouts

Di B

geordiecolin said:
What about poor old us??

We did beat Matlock in the 3rd section last year by 4 places and we had a fairly good result in 3rd section at Pontins in the Autumn as well. 4th place at NEMMBA with a below strength band and temporary conductor was a good indicator. I doubt we'll win it but we'll there or there abouts

Ummm.... you *are* in the 4 bars rest top 6 predictions......... which is what we were on about..... so I don't understand, what about poor old you?

*confused*

picju96

Roger Thorne said:
Dark Horses eh! . . .

Not to disappoint or anything but 4br predicted us as dark horses for pontins and we came 20th or something like that, 2nd from last anyway! We did play really badly though, we were just really nervous.

Julia

Brian

Another Competition.. Midland Area

Maybe 4br take into account the change of conductors bands have had..Sometimes it doesn't come together that quick...Changes in conductors over the last year ( off the top of my head)for..Ransomes..Travelsphere..NCT..Riddings..Thorntons..Blidworth.. and thats just a few I can remember....Back to the Beach 8)

Baldeagle

Di B said:
rutty said:
Di B said:

Aww! Thanks me dear! :D Believe it or not, we have also strengthened the band since that contest too! (If you remember we played there with just 2 from row cornets!)

My personal wish would be for Matlock and Long Eaton to grab 1st and 2nd... but as I play with one and the other was my first ever band it is why I said I am biased! :)

Do hope you are right with your predictions rutty! Good luck to all at Carton too... its been a while since I came to help you out!

Di xx
www.matlockband.co.uk

Di best of luck next week and you can come and help out here anytime, just watch out fer Rutty's Art Hole :p Come on Matlock get back inti the big time you can do it :)

Baldeagle

satchmo shaz said:
well for top section desford, thoresby or travelsphere have got to be up there
1st section kibworth or nct
not sure about 2nd section maybe blidworth
3rd carlton or shirland
and 4th bakewell matlock phoenix or long eaton (my band! :wink: )

Baldeagle

satchmo shaz said:
well for top section desford, thoresby or travelsphere have got to be up there
1st section kibworth or nct
not sure about 2nd section maybe blidworth
3rd carlton or shirland
and 4th bakewell matlock phoenix or long eaton (my band! :wink: )

For my money (which ain't much) I think that the 4th section this year is going to be close and should be very enjoyable :lol: , there are 4 bands in the running and it should be a tight contest :p All I can say is "The best of luck to all Bands"

Heather

If there's anyone from Riddings Band here, well done for qualifying for the finals.
My band may have beat you at Derby but you sounded very good to me at that contest.
Good Luck in the finals (unless we get there too!!!).

Di B

geordiecolin said:
I was referring to the predictions of everyone on this board not 4br.

Ahh, well, I predicted who I thought would win, as did everyone else. Why not put your own thoughts down?

For the record, I don't underestimate Dronfield. I don't know the band that well, (although what some do to raise band funds at Pontins weekends scares me!!!) but Ray White is good in my opinion. I'd put you in the top six, yes, but for me, Bakewell and Long Eaton will have strong performances.

At the end of the day, any one of us could come last too! Its a case of what happens on the day that is important.

sparkling_quavers

Di B said:
geordiecolin said:
I was referring to the predictions of everyone on this board not 4br.

Ahh, well, I predicted who I thought would win, as did everyone else. Why not put your own thoughts down?

For the record, I don't underestimate Dronfield. I don't know the band that well, (although what some do to raise band funds at Pontins weekends scares me!!!) but Ray White is good in my opinion. I'd put you in the top six, yes, but for me, Bakewell and Long Eaton will have strong performances.

At the end of the day, any one of us could come last too! Its a case of what happens on the day that is important.

In total agreement Di!

Anything could happen on that Stage. I know Dronfield well and they have a strong band with a very good band sound. It was unfortunate for them to be relegated this year but they did have some dissapointing results in the last year or so. In the past nerves have often got the better of some players and their performance on stage has not really reflected the quality of the band. BUT these things do happen! The rehearsals are sounding good. A new conductor and a band committed to working well together as a team...lets hope it is a good combination.

I have alot of respect for Long Eaton and Matlock bands they have worked hard and (like all of us) been through good and bad times! They too have committed members and the MD's have worked hard to develop players into the bands they have today.

Good luck and I will cya all on Sunday!

For the book my predictions are:

1. Bakewell
2. Long Eaton
3. Kirkby
4. Matlock/Dronfield

stephen2001

After the results all though last weekend, anything could happen!
I would rather gamble on the Lotto than stake a bet on the next few contests!!