Annoying moments

I can feel a rant coming on!

People who decide to 'put things up an octave' to show off. Its not big, its not clever and certainly isn't musical!

Also bass trombonists who think that they are soloists!

And another thing - playing as rancidly loud as you possibly can does NOT sound nice!

Pushy Parents. The kind who are always trying to get their 'Precious Angel' a solo piece at the next concert, or a promotion or trying to get involved in the running of the band and/or getting on the committee. Usually its parents with no knowledge of banding yet seem to think coz their 'Precious Angel' is sat on the back row that they can then take over the band wholesale.

MoominDave

Related to a curse which I've seen more prominently in amateur orchestras than in bands - where a poor player takes on committee duties in order to lay claim to higher parts. For some reason, it's very often a terrible french horn player who becomes chairman; they then (ab)use that rank to allow themselves to play all the 1st horn parts. It's very frustrating when it happens...

There are plenty of people in bands who no one dares to demote just because they're on the committee, though.

Pushy Parents. The kind who are always trying to get their 'Precious Angel' a solo piece at the next concert, or a promotion or trying to get involved in the running of the band and/or getting on the committee. Usually its parents with no knowledge of banding yet seem to think coz their 'Precious Angel' is sat on the back row that they can then take over the band wholesale.

God that is annoying. And it takes away from the people who really have worked hard and deserve the solos, recognition, etc. Isn't it always these people that keep quiet, yet get treated the worst and therefore have the most genuine cause to complain, but don't?
Obviously there is no space for decent people left in the world.

flugelman

Some of these have been said but these are what annoy me!:-

People talking when the conductor is talking
People nicking valve oil- buy your own!!!
People turning up late without a valid excuse

What annoys me is parents that don't show ANY interest! like mine hee hee, been playing for 10 years and i think they have come to about 5 band concerts!

Here is a list of the things that annoy me most

1) People breaking wind at band practice (especially when your sat next to them)
2) Bandsman/women that think having a non alcoholic drink on stage is unproffesional, I need to drink
3) People that pester you every time you see them to join there band! (get a hint)
4) People who blow there spit out really loudly
5) being stuck on band coaches
6) conductors that don't know what there talking about!

MissRepiano

What annoys me is parents that don't show ANY interest! like mine hee hee, been playing for 10 years and i think they have come to about 5 band concerts!

1) People breaking wind at band practice (especially when your sat next to them)
2) Bandsman/women that think having a non alcoholic drink on stage is unproffesional, I need to drink
3) People that pester you every time you see them to join there band! (get a hint)

I agree with number 4 (although sometimes I do it and get annoyed with myself!). Also, people who clunk their mutes all the time whether they're putting them in or taking them out, there's no need!!!

I'd be interested to know who your refering to with number 6!! :confused:

MissBraz

Related to a curse which I've seen more prominently in amateur orchestras than in bands - where a poor player takes on committee duties in order to lay claim to higher parts. For some reason, it's very often a terrible french horn player who becomes chairman; they then (ab)use that rank to allow themselves to play all the 1st horn parts. It's very frustrating when it happens...

There are plenty of people in bands who no one dares to demote just because they're on the committee, though.[/quote]

that happens in brass bands too!

Aussie Tuba

With Number 2 out here in Aus there are more people who do have a drink on stage ( usualy a bottle of Water ) than not.
I agree with number 6 to, seen some of that in my time too.

annieds

"People talking while the conductor is talking/rehearsing another section. I know from teaching just how infuriating this is. The conductor presumably knows something about music or they wouldn't have been appointed. Shut up and listen.
People playing on for ages after the conductor has made it clear that they want to stop playing".

Pythagoras, this does it for me, too

Annie

Last edited:

DMBabe

Supporting Member
My gripe is with the "interesting" idea that the closer someone lives to the bandhall, the later they'll be for rehearsals. most of us who travel get there in plenty of time, but at least would have the excuse of traffic, whereas those who could (but mostly don't) walk, wander in at best with seconds to spare! What's that about??

Also our (now-ex) chairman used to treat me like a clueless 12 year old even though I'd been in the band for 20 years (which was way longer than him I might add!).:mad:

brassneck

My gripe is with the "interesting" idea that the closer someone lives to the bandhall, the later they'll be for rehearsals. most of us who travel get there in plenty of time, but at least would have the excuse of traffic, whereas those who could (but mostly don't) walk, wander in at best with seconds to spare! What's that about??

... :mad:

So true!! Another gripe is a band's inability to shift a rehearsal date that coincides with a major football fixture that's on telly!

Deltabrass

"Also bass trombonists who think that they are soloists!"

You mean they aren't soloists? :eek:
I knew I'd been going wrong somewhere!;)

This didn't overly annoy me, but when I was in a band, if you were 5/10 minutes late due to work (despite letting the MD know you'd be late) you subjected the band to a lecture about punctuality by the MD, yet if you wandered in after an hour you sat down to congratulations from the same bloke: 'well done for getting here son!'

And piece-wise - Instant Concert! *Shudders*

Ruthless

So true!! Another gripe is a band's inability to shift a rehearsal date that coincides with a major football fixture that's on telly!

Why should football get special treatment? You will get everyone requesting that rehearsal be changed because there is something special they want to watch on TV. Football is not the be all and end all in life......

I'm happy to be at rehearsal when football is on - actually I prefer it!:clap:

Product tMP members are discussing