An Idea For Under-strength Bands

Just been reading the discussion about the scoring of Kaleidescope and was reminded of a post on the Brass Band Mailing list about this time last year.

I have cut and pasted it in full:

I've just had the weirdest premonition about next years 4th section area test
piece. In an idle moment at work (some might say I have a few of those) I
saw Philip Morris and Frank Hodges in conversation with Philip Sparke who has
graciously agreed to write the piece to be called "The Year of the Moon and
Sixpence". Messrs Morris and Hodges have insisted on the following
conditions:
1. The piece shall be written for 17 players, with an optional part in case
the 3rd cornet player manages to rope in his dad to play BBb Bass.
2. The 3rd Solo Cornet part shall be tacit for the first movement, because
every band has a front row player who is always late for rehearsals.
3. The bottom 2nd cornet part will have 250 bars rest in the middle to allow
the player to collect the 'bonus ball' money half way through rehearsal.
4. The Bass Trombone shall be resting every time the basses have a tricky
rhythmn so that he can sing it to them as they play it.
5. 2nd baritone will be tacit for the last movement to allow bands with
players on night shift to leave band early.
6. The Bass trombone part shall be written Rasposo Ferocissimo and ff
throughout (cos they all do that anyway).
7. The percussion part shall be written for side drum and triangle and will
be cued in on the solo horn part if no percussion player in the band.

Messrs Morris, Hodges and Sparke are delighted with the agreement of these
conditions as they represent the way forward for lower section banding in the
21st century."

And then I realised my Group Leader was calling my name, and I was still at
work, and it had all been a dream.

Big Chap
Bedrock Brass

Maybe it would work :?

Janet

James McFadyen

IMHO, I don't think composers should support this throughout the contesting platform, instead I believe concentration should be centred at improving Brass Banding by getting some bums on the seats - perhaps if composers would write adequate parts for the whole band, then perhaps performers may feel more needed! 3rd Cornets may feel they do nothing, but they are one of the most important parts in the band.

However, I do respect that in the lower sections players may be hard to find and to accomodate this we need to find a strategy, but the music is no the answer, that is my opinion anyway - perhaps we should be thinking about NEW ways to get people into Brass Banding, to alter the music, is, in my opinion ludicrous and detrimental to the Brass Band movement.

James McFadyen

With all the young composers around now, I say another awakening in Brass Band music is about to unfold, but lets do it with style!

In this industry you have to be able to see the wood from the trees! If you can't then u'll be left behind. Look at the bigger picture, I say!

:)

James McFadyen

I'm glad u can take it light-heartedly! :wink:

:lol:

I'm certainly glad it's just a premonition, just think of it if that's how people actually wrote! :wink:

I consider myself a young brass band composer so would you feel a little less worried if i promise to write for a full compliment of players? And dont worry, i wont be writing optional french horn parts either..

:wink:

eckyboy

After reading the premonition I am sure there are bands arround who already play with a similar set-up :lol:
It's always handy to be versatile :?

Borfeo

Hmmmm......I read the first message and had a chuckle, then I got mightily confused as the humour got sucked right out of it by means of a serious conversation.

Such a waste of a good thread :roll:

Well providing the night shift bit was changed to percussion (for our very own Bagpuss) - I think this would be a great idea! :wink:

Actually Wem are very fortunate that we do a have a talented composer and arranger that does actually cater for the band specifically in many of the arrangements - so although this thread is a chuckle - it holds an element of truth too.

Okiedokie of Oz

A lot of arrangers when doing lighter music, make it very simplistice, with minal harmonies and polyphony. This music, I know because we do it ourselves, comes in handy when a "smaller group" is needed.

So why couldn't some composers work towards an "ensemble"-style test piece?

drummerboy

Okiedokie of Oz said:
So why couldn't some composers work towards an "ensemble"-style test piece?

There's a few about, Apocalypse by Bourgeois is one very good example. However, you could count the bands across the globe who could play it on one hand, so that's kind of out the question when using it as a set test piece.
Some Salvationist 'test pieces' require some fantastic ensemble playing, shame most of them aren't known outside the SA - I'm thinking of something like Variations of Maccabeus by Kevin Norbury. Not technically all that demanding, but some good ensemble playing is needed.

Accidental

Supporting Member
Borfeo said:
Hmmmm......I read the first message and had a chuckle, then I got mightily confused as the humour got sucked right out of it by means of a serious conversation.

Such a waste of a good thread :roll:
I always try not to make "I agree" posts, but.... I AGREE!! :lol: :lol:

Great idea, but I'd make a few amendments: split parts for 2nd horn (so we don't have to choose between them), sop part totally doubled on 3rd man down to save cuing/rewriting parts, and every single melody line on the euph part.... if they're going to out-blow everyone else anyway, it might as well be the tune! :wink:

James McFadyen said:
I'm glad u can take it light-heartedly! :wink:

:lol:

I'm certainly glad it's just a premonition, just think of it if that's how people actually wrote! :wink:

I thought a premonition was forseeing something that really does happen-not just imagining if something did happen?