Alternative FIngering

Hi all

i have been having a look through my copy of Tristan, and i am going to have a lot of fun with Trans V (second 2nd Cornet)!

it is written in 5 sharps and i cannot stand playing sharps, so ...........

does anyone know what, if any alternative fingerings i could use to make this easier ?

the runs start on a bottom b, go up to c#, and back down again several times.

all help greatly appreciated !

FG

PeterBale

Staff member
Not many options for alternative fingering there! I know everyone is different, and maybe it's in part because I did not start off in brass bands, but I find the sharp keys fairly easy - in this case, the second valve stays down all the time so you've only got the other two to worry about. The alternatives, such as using 3rd for the E and A, would probably just make it more awkward.

Maestro said:
Just practice the B Major scale? :wink:
erm..............

sorry for being thick, but could you explan a couple of bits from your post please ......

1) B Major ...... is that like a normal B road, but busier ?

2) Practice ...... surely this is just myth !

:D

FG

Maestro

B Major is the one where you start on B (2nd valve I believe), finish on the B above it, or in this case the C#....then waggle fingers like mad for the middle bits. This may or maynot be helpful. :oops: :oops:

Maestro said:
B Major is the one where you start on B (2nd valve I believe), finish on the B above it, or in this case the C#....then waggle fingers like mad for the middle bits. This may or maynot be helpful. :oops: :oops:
Shhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!

i was trying to keep my technique a secret incase anyone copied it :D

FG

Steve

pull your tuning slide out and play C major or push it in and play Bb major :wink: its so much easier than learning sharps :?

The Cornet King

ooooh.....shall be listening now Chris....dont worry, i believe all the cornet section has the same B major run, it just goes like a canon.

Better get practicing!!! :D :D

iggmeister

Maestro said:
One of my most esteemed playing colleagues has a name for this technique. He calls it 'turkey valving' and tends to employ it quite often to varying degrees of effect! Also known as a 'Ted Rodger's' in some circles I understand.

Igg

Maestro

iggmeister said:
Maestro said:
One of my most esteemed playing colleagues has a name for this technique. He calls it 'turkey valving' and tends to employ it quite often to varying degrees of effect! Also known as a 'Ted Rodger's' in some circles I understand.

Igg
Considering I used to play with Matthews, I guess that's where it must have come from. :wink: :wink:

MoominDave

[quote="iggmeister Also known as a 'Ted Rodger's' in some circles I understand.

Igg[/quote]

Hence, 321 321 321 321... Works an absolute treat for high register Tuba playing with a fluffy articulation.

Dave

Di

I've always found it easier to read in flats than sharps :oops: so how about rewriting the runs using Bn, C#, Eb, En, F#, Ab, Bb, Bn. Also if you use all three for Bb then you never have to lift the second valve.

PeterBale

Staff member
Dinie said:
I've always found it easier to read in flats than sharps :oops: so how about rewriting the runs using Bn, C#, Eb, En, F#, Ab, Bb, Bn. Also if you use all three for Bb then you never have to lift the second valve.
If you want flats, you should try Cb, Db, Eb, Fb, Gb, Ab, Bb Cb :wink:

Good idea, though, about playing the A# on 1,2,3 :lol:

BottyBurp said:
Insist on blowing your water out at that precise moment? Take your valves out and mess with them? :wink:
Youce been watching our front row closely again....I thought they all just liked to wave to the basses

Farmer Giles said:
it is written in 5 sharps and i cannot stand playing sharps, so ...........

does anyone know what, if any alternative fingerings i could use to make this easier ?

the runs start on a bottom b, go up to c#, and back down again several times.

all help greatly appreciated !

FG
Hi FG,
The alternative fingerings are as follows: (from bottom to top:
E=3
F#=123
A#=123
B=13
C#= 3 or 123

HTH

Di

PeterBale said:
If you want flats, you should try Cb, Db, Eb, Fb, Gb, Ab, Bb Cb :wink:

Good idea, though, about playing the A# on 1,2,3 :lol:
Thats what I put to start with, but my "know it all" daughter suggested using the more common accidentals, ie, the Bn rather than Cb and F# instead of Gb and I bowed to her "superior" (ha), knowledge. :( :wink: