Also known as........

bagpuss

Having read throught the Cockney Rhying slang thread, it occured to me that there are many different ways of describing the same thing. Many of them are slang, many may come down to local dialects, but hey WHO CARES!!! See how many we can come up with, here's a start.

Wasp - also known as a Jasper or a wazzock
Bread roll - Batch, barm, teacake, bap.
Bicycle - push iron

Puss

rutty

Re: Also know as........

bagpuss said:
Also known as "Cob" in the midlands, though there is a difference between that and a batch, barm and teacake. All bready things, but different products. A cob is the same as a roll and a bap, as far as I can tell.

Oddly, Wazzock was a quite popular insult when I was a kid in school in Leeds. As was Pillock. Must be a Yorkshire thing. 8)

Cantonian

Some valley-isms.

Trainers are 'daps'
A wash basin is a 'bosh'

Can you see me soon is ' Come by yere now in a minute'

PeterBale

Staff member

rutty said:
bagpuss said:
Also known as "Cob" in the midlands, though there is a difference between that and a batch, barm and teacake. All bready things, but different products. A cob is the same as a roll and a bap, as far as I can tell.
I've always thought of a cob as being a crusty roll, whereas a bap (or bread bun) should be soft. Then again, you've always got the other local variations and specialities such as the stotty (much missed now we're in the south!)

rutty

PeterBale said:
rutty said:
bagpuss said:
I've always thought of a cob as being a crusty roll, whereas a bap (or bread bun) should be soft. Then again, you've always got the other local variations and specialities such as the stotty (much missed now we're in the south!)
Cob is just a general term for a roll around here. Never heard of a Stotty!

PeterBale

Staff member

rutty said:
Cob is just a general term for a roll around here. Never heard of a Stotty!
Stotties, or stotty cakes, are a Northeast delicacy - large doughy bread cakes, ideal for providing a hearty meal when filled with various delights. I'm sure one of our northern comrades can be more specific than I can, but they're certainly well worth sampling if you ever get the chance :wink:

sparkling_quavers

rutty said:
bagpuss said:
Also known as "Cob" in the midlands, though there is a difference between that and a batch, barm and teacake. All bready things, but different products. A cob is the same as a roll and a bap, as far as I can tell
ahhhh you cannot possibly realise how many times i have tried to explain that since moving up north...

it is a cob !

leisa

bagpuss said:
Having read throught the Cockney Rhying slang thread, it occured to me that there are many different ways of describing the same thing. Many of them are slang, many may come down to local dialects, but hey WHO CARES!!! See how many we can come up with, here's a start.

Bicycle - push iron

Puss

noooooo, teacakes have raisons in them!!!! noo how can you have a sausage teakake?@!? its clearly a sausage barm!!!!! :shock:

PeterBale

Staff member

leisa said:
noooooo, teacakes have raisons in them!!!! noo how can you have a sausage teakake?@!? its clearly a sausage barm!!!!! :shock:
Mind, a sausage roll would be something quite different again :shock:

manx_yessir

leisa said:
bagpuss said:

Bicycle - push iron

Puss

It's called a Sausage BAP!! :roll: :lol:

manx_yessir said:
leisa said:
bagpuss said:

Bicycle - push iron

Puss

It's called a Sausage BAP!! :roll: :lol:
No it's a sausage BUTTY

bagpuss

onedrummeruk said:
leisa said:
bagpuss said:
No it's a sausage BUTTY
No no no no no. A sausage butty would be between 2 pieces of sliced bread (i.e. stuff usually found in a loaf). I am with Manx_yessir on this one. It is DEFINITELY a sausage Bap. A sausage barm sounds like something that needs attention in an institution of some sort.

Puss

Fishsta

Nice topic, this... Here in the Wigan area, we have many terms that you may not have heard of.

For example:

Ginnel : A path between houses (like an alley).

Chauve : To extract the urine, take the Michael.

Jar : A pint of beverage in a pub.

Moggy : A Mouse. No, NOT a cat. A Moggy is a mouse. End of.

Yon : A place or location. Used as in "Look over yon", or "Bring yon pint to me". A shortened version of "yonder".

Just a note about bacon butties... Anything that consists of bacon between bread is a Bacon Butty, doesn't matter what sort of bread it is. These are then categorised into "proper bread", meaning sliced bread (which apparently is the best thing ever), baps or barms. 99.5% of the time, a bacon butty will be expected on a barm as this is the best way to enjoy them, and everyone who isn't a bap short of a twelve-pack will know this.

bigmamabadger

Fishsta said:
Ginnel : A path between houses (like an alley).
quote]

Not a snickleway then?
Ginnels are from West of the Pennines, Snickleways are from East of the Pennines.

Nesh - Weak, wussy
Caisty - Fussy, Picky
Doodie/Dodie - Baby's dummy (Never heard this until I came to CHeshire)
BMB
xx