All England Masters 2004

Keppler

Staff member
iggmeister said:
First post of mine that has been 'interfered with' by the moderators.

Right, seems that a little explanation is required here..

As I've articulated before, I'm probably not the world's greatest oracle on the ins and outs of various contest rules. However, I did see a post implying that there be at least some semblance of subtlety regarding test piece votes (whether it be true or not) and so, my actions in masking the various piece names were designed to
a) protect the bands in the possible event of some rule or spirit breach
b) protect tMP in the event of same.

I personally don't see the harm in revealing this information, but as I said - given the information available to me at the time, my opinion was that it was better to mask them and take the flak rather than have some bands potentially take flak down the line. I deliberately made the masking as light hearted as possible in order to avoid "being anal".

As for "interfering" - well, that's my perogative I'm afraid. You guys can call it interfering if you like. I'll call it doing my job. :tup

Anyhoo, hope this clears it all up - No harm was done to anyone and no offence caused.

Kepps

Phil Green

Supporting Member
John,

I don't have a clue, I think our MD voted on our behalf. I myself would have gone for Harrisons Dream and On Alderly Edge (was this on there!). My hope would be that bands didn't vote for the easiest piece to "give themselves a chance" (not trying to offend any bands at all here) like they did at the recent Scottish Open.

JANUARYMAN

Carl 28, Nadia, shedophone,

Thanks for the supporting notes on the previous page. A few years ago we helped out at very short notice after a late withdrawal and were disappointed not to be included last year. Fingers crossed that we get the nod this time as I am sure we are now in a position to contribute fully at this contest. According to BBW I think we are now ranked 18th, so we are probably ranked a bit higher than that against just the English bands? Is the All England Masters supposed to be the top 20 odd English bands?

Cheers,
Dave Horan
Hepworth Band

johnflugel

As it's an invitation contest, I don't think there are any set rules.

Not sure about the 'top 20' thing as my band is not actually ranked in there but has received an invitation again. It could be argued we are not in the top 20 because we only do 3 contests (area, shield and masters) a yeat whereas others above us compete at Pontins, Scottish Open, Wilkinsons too. Plus we have done well at the contest since going in 2001 without setting the world alight.

Are there other bands like Hepworth who deserve an invite as there are bands from so-called 'weaker' areas than Yorkshire & the North West. that regularly compete in the Masters. Are bands like Aveley, Redbridge and Woodfalls really better than Hepworth, Skelmanthorpe etc

It could be argued that if the Masters want a representation of the finest bands from all areas of the country then they have got it spot on.

Have I sparked a whole new debate? :oops:

John

Aidan

travelsphere yes maybe, but in my opinion the others are not the same class as heppy at the moment.

grandfilth

thankyou aidan its good to see someone bvelieves in the power of the mighty hepworth!!
P.S. look out at the area!!!!!!!!

jambo

JANUARYMAN said:

Thanks for the supporting notes on the previous page. A few years ago we helped out at very short notice after a late withdrawal and were disappointed not to be included last year. Fingers crossed that we get the nod this time as I am sure we are now in a position to contribute fully at this contest. According to BBW I think we are now ranked 18th, so we are probably ranked a bit higher than that against just the English bands? Is the All England Masters supposed to be the top 20 odd English bands?

Cheers,
Dave Horan
Hepworth Band

Now then Horanotang me old mukka, hows it going under the bright lights of the Wooldale Arms?

After the bands stupendous efforts to show interest in the Masters a few years back, and to get an invite back then I'm sure that those in the know must be looking favourably at the band for a spot in this years contest given the bands great form at the moment.
C'MON HEPOIL!!!!!!!!
Nice photie too, very innocent, ha ha.
Cheers
Jambo!

JANUARYMAN

jambo said:
JANUARYMAN said:

Cheers,
Dave Horan
Hepworth Band

Now then Horanotang me old mukka, hows it going under the bright lights of the Wooldale Arms?

After the bands stupendous efforts to show interest in the Masters a few years back, and to get an invite back then I'm sure that those in the know must be looking favourably at the band for a spot in this years contest given the bands great form at the moment.
C'MON HEPOIL!!!!!!!!
Nice photie too, very innocent, ha ha.
Cheers
Jambo!

Jambo,
Doesn't look like where going to get a sniff mate. It's not what you know, it's who you know in this game!
Cheers,
Dave
P.S. R U coming accross for Preston this weekend?

Hey Dave!

Good luck for this weekend, I can't come unfortunately because of stuff on at uni but I'm sure the band will be brill.

Jayne

Heppy

Dave mate, could you not find a better photo than that. People think your taking the mick. Everyone who see's januarymans Avatar, that actually is him im afraid. Get it changed!!!

GIMP!

Heppy
Sop
Hepworth

Carl 28 said:
If Dyke and Faireys don't go maybe there are two spaces available?? I'm not sure how this works but I guess that some of the names that spring to mind are:

Hepworth - 2nd at Scottish Open, 2nd at Pontins
Skelmanthorpe - Pontins Champions, Tameside Open Champions
Glossop - Northern Open Champions

Also Fishburn and Pennine are good bands that are usually there or there abouts and so are Freckleton and Haydock. Wingates and Desford are big names that stand out as being absent although 2003 wasn't particularly consistent for them.

On 2003 overall form i would say that Hepworth and Skelmanthorpe deserve the places if there are any spare invites. Thats my opinion for what it's worth anyway.

What do others think?

Carl
Bolton
:twisted:

Carl

Thanks for the vote of confidence last month......but it looks like you were way out.

Good luck to those bands who are invited.

Paul
Skelmanthorpe