Ah so you must be...er...

2nd man down

Staff member
Come on now, it's time to come clean...How many tMPers have you met and only known their user name.

I met Cornetking and Manx_yessir for the first time recently and had to introduce myself as 2nd man down. It's kind of surreal:
"Ah, so you must be...er...cornetking??...sorry, what was your real name again?"

We've got Roy Taylor coming for a blow with us soon, I'm dying to know his real name too!! :roll: :wink:

Dave Payn

Well I've met WhatSharp and HomocidalBennyBoy. I still haven't told anyone my real name yet, I thought it was Dave Payn, but with the amount of people who refer to me as 'Shutup Payn', I guess that must be my real name! ;-) ;-)

lynchie

i spent most of the day in birmingham at CiN, only knowing people by usernames... it got even worse when the drinking started and I forgot those as well... :oops:

sparkling_quavers

I have met alot of tmpers and think I know most of their real names not sure if they know mine though :roll: Saying that I seem to have sparkly as a completely adopted name now! I think on my part it is worse when I introduce tmpers when I know both of them. It is always this is 'X' of tmp this is 'Y' of tmp and I think are too embarrased to ask real names when they have been talking for ages!

Naomi McFadyen

I only know the real names of people if it's either their username or they put it in their signature... if not it's ... "drummergal?" or whoever.... and then I ask what their real name is! :lol:

;-) :D

Keppler

Staff member
hehe there's a lot of truth in that Sparkly... how can you say to someone you've beeni interacting with for 18 months: "ere... what's your name anyway?"

It works well when one's tMP username isn't horrendously long.. for example, is very difficult to address a certain admin as "tMM" all the time. One trips over the definate article when combining it frequently with multi-syllabic nouns. So is much easier to call him other names instead. Of course, if one's username is truncateable then that's useful... Spent most of CiN referring to cornetgirl as "seejee" (CG)

Anyway, tis the mark of a great username when it sticks in one's mind.
Just call me Kepps..

Big Twigge

I certainly felt pretty stupid introducing myself as "Big Twigge" given that am not strictly speaking the biggest Twigge and so I automatically felt like a posterior, plus no one in my entire life pre-tmp has ever called me it!
As for what I called everyone else, if I'd already forgotten the name I avoided names at all, otherwise i guess it depends what they were introduced to me as and what they like to be called....who knows!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Big Twigge said:
I certainly felt pretty stupid introducing myself as "Big Twigge" given that am not strictly speaking the biggest Twigge and so I automatically felt like a posterior, plus no one in my entire life pre-tmp has ever called me it!
As for what I called everyone else, if I'd already forgotten the name I avoided names at all, otherwise i guess it depends what they were introduced to me as and what they like to be called....who knows!

Good God... :shock: can someone translate that for me please... :lol:

rutty

I've just used a nickname as my username, so calling me Rutty would be fine. There are already too many Dave's on this forum, so it'd be nice to be distinguishable from the general rabble ;)

I've met a few tMPers at Test The Nation last year and we soon got the names sorted out when we got there. I've forgotten most if them already though - that bloke that calls himself "Roger", what's his real name? :)

Dave Payn

Too many Daves??? OK, call me 'Abdominal' (goes well with the surname!)

By the way, Rutty, thanks for the credit for the talking dog joke on your website. I pinched that from another site! ;-)

Dave Euph

Well, I suppose you've got my first name! ;)

[EDIT] Just remembered how when I joined Emley nobody for about a month knew me as anybody else but 'Dave' ... then the embarrassed questions came up as registration was required for a contest ...

"Hi Dave ... errr ... what's your second name?"

rutty

Dave Payn said:
By the way, Rutty, thanks for the credit for the talking dog joke on your website. I pinched that from another site! ;-)

That's how I get most of my content ;)

Despot

The name Despot reflects more my position in the band than my name ...and what I've been called in the past! :shock: