Action Research - Blackpool

Steve

OK, following on from a previous thread about the rivalry between youth bands (I think it was actually about Tameside but nevermind) I think it is time we started planning a get together at Blackpool. Depending what days everyone is going up/down to Blackpool it would be nice to meet up over the weekend and have a 'McDonalds'. I know I am going up a day early to get in at least one propper nights partying on the Friday, if anyone else is doing the same it would be a good chance to dispell these rivalry theories once and for all. If not we should find somewhere to go for a glass of 'pop' afterwards.

Naomi McFadyen

I take it you're talking about the Areas?! In which case, if I remember rightly, all the sections are playing on the same day in Blackpool ;-)

Aidan

nope its a youth band contest in april (i think)
its a pile of poo :p all singing and dancing and no music ;)

Steve

Nadia said:

:shock: What a cynic!!!! If it keeps the kids interested then its good for banding and it is one of the highlights of the year for us as the average age is now about 15!!

As for no music, we won everything a few years back with no visuals or dancing. Granted the band sang a hymn in four part harmony but hell, if you have it in you then why not. I will ask Jeansy to put you right after next rehearsal!!!

lynchie

oh... and it's in february!

but really, if anyone's going i'll be there reasonably early on the friday, so if a day of drinking, arcades and fish and chips sounds appealing let me know!

Steve

Lynchie,

Me, Jamie, Sam and Tracey should be up early on Friday but chips and arcades wasnt in the original plan. Will let you know when we know more!

lynchie

If you're up for it, thursday night in manchester followed by general collapsing on my floor is perfectly acceptable...

Euph-Bari

Nadia said:

I agree - had to hel-p a band out at it for the last 3/4 years! - its ok for younger ones i suppose

Dolly

Nadia wrote:
its a pile of poo all singing and dancing and no music

[/quote]

none of you went and listen to Rochdale Borough Youth play there last year i take it?

Di

Nadia said:

Thats hardly fair to all the kids who are practicing their little butts off. Don't forget, you were a kid once too! :wink: :?

Me or hubby (don't know which yet, will be running little 'un (he's only a wee 11 year old, so no beer or late nights!) late on Saturday for an overnight stop. Had the luck to draw number 1 which'll be great for a quick getaway giving us a chance to catch t'other one playing in contest in Derby, depending of course on what time the second section starts :?

HBB

Dinie said:
Nadia said:

Thats hardly fair to all the kids who are practicing their little butts off. Don't forget, you were a kid once too! :wink: :?

Dinie, I don't think he was. I think he was born a 20-something-BOC! :D

IckleSop

Steve, i'll c u there i suppose!!!! i mean if your willing to come for a drink! and you Paul im sure me,leisa and Nicki can manage to sup a couple with you after playing of course.

Blackpool is a strange contest, for years its been so close to the National Youth Champs so for most (not every) of the bands the test piece set for the Nationals has been placed in there program, be interesting to see what people pull out this year. Yet for years people have thought its been fixed!!!

Cant Wait Anyway

lynchie

unfortunately there are some youth bands whose idea of entertainment differs from that of every other human being... doesn't mean it's all bad though!

Steve

Dolly said:
Nadia wrote:

none of you went and listen to Rochdale Borough Youth play there last year i take it?[/quote]

Anyone who did obviously wouldn't be commenting on the poor standard as they were awesome! They also did windows of the world the year before and won then as well. Hopefully Nadia will realise this when YBS do their masterclass and joint concert with Rochdale in a few weeks. They are an awesome band and I understand The essence of time was in their concert programme this year, obviously that is all singing and dancing ion some peoples eyes!!! lol

Dolly

Steve21 said:
Dolly said:
Nadia wrote:

none of you went and listen to Rochdale Borough Youth play there last year i take it?

Anyone who did obviously wouldn't be commenting on the poor standard as they were awesome! They also did windows of the world the year before and won then as well. Hopefully Nadia will realise this when YBS do their masterclass and joint concert with Rochdale in a few weeks. They are an awesome band and I understand The essence of time was in their concert programme this year, obviously that is all singing and dancing ion some peoples eyes!!! lol[/quote]

exactly

Aidan

i have seen rochdale a few times, and been impressed both times (specially windows of the world in the festival hall foyer (i think it was) when we were playing at the youth music festival thing held there.
fallen into the usual trap of saying something which can be easily misinterpreted i spose "tMP OTT syndrome" :twisted: Didn't discredit any band at all. I have been to the contest twice and it always comes across as more of a *beeping* about and dancing contest than a music contest :p i know it makes it more exciting for the kids etc, but if they cant enjoy the playing without all dressing up as women or as the rocky horror show... :p but granted its a good day out for them, and something a bit different etc.
commence the reaming... :twisted: ;)