Absolute beginner torn between playing Baritone/Euphonium or Trombone

No half decent trombone player uses those positions.

I possibly wasn't very clear: when I said "picture", I meant the image at the bottom showing how far out the slide travels for each position. As @2nd tenor said, they are a starting point and need to be tweaked ad hoc, but they are still an improvement over @PeterBale's suggestion of trial and error.

As for alternate positions, I wouldn't tell a new cornet player to use 2+3 for third space C, I'd tell them to use open at first and only tell them they could use 2+3 later when they had developed confidence and some skill on the instrument. Likewise, I wouldn't tell a new trombonist to use 5th for that C at first. One of the mistakes I made early on with the trombone was trying to use alternates too soon, and getting wrongfooted by the additional layer of thinking that I wasn't ready for. The alternate positions, and when to use them, come with time.

Jack E

Noting that slurring on trombone is not the same as slurring on a valved instrument - everything must be touched very gently with the articulation: slurring across the slide without articulation is only possible on some intervals, and can be an ugly effect if mishandled; slurring along the slide without articulation is better known as glissando.
Dave - can you clarify for me, please?

I presume that 'slurring along the slide' means slurring by pushing the slide out, or pulling it in; but what is 'slurring across the slide'?

Many thanks,

Jack

MoominDave

“Slurring across the slide” is exactly the thing that David Broad talked about above - making the slide length longer when moving to a higher note (or vice versa). Exactly the same effect exists on your baritone, but the more conical bore forgives it better than on a trombone - e.g. compare how slurring from upper E to F has a more natural smoothness if you finger the E on 1+2 rather than open. Then compare how the more conical again euph doesn’t show it quite so much. The valves are a big aid here - the movement being so much less than that of a slide means that the change between notes can barely be perceived. So the trombonist needs to disguise the join with a bit of tongue articulation, which also has the advantage that they don’t end up having different-sounding slurs on some intervals to the rest.

These are smaller effects, not something for the OP to worry about yet.

Jack E

Thank you, Dave; I've noticed trombone players lengthening the slide, and then playing a higher note - and it always looks weird, to me!

To quote the Fundamental Precept espoused by the Alfred Garnett School of Philosophy:

"Werrrlll - it stands ter reason, dunnit? The longer the pipe, the lower the note - it's the same as yer actual church organ, innit?"

But that's bones players for you; happy to challenge the Laws of Physics, Logic and Reason :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Jack

David Evans

Jack, try playing a trill on your baritone from upper E to F using firstly 0 to 1, then try again using using 1+2 to 1 and you will see exactly what DT means, it's also less likely to drop to the D by mistake.

Jack E

Good evening, David - yes, my tutor has gone into some of those variations on fingering, and needing to do a fast trill was one of the situations he mentioned where alternative fingering can prove useful. But I do take the point made by @HelenPlaysBaritone, above, where she said:

"I wouldn't tell a new cornet player to use 2+3 for third space C, I'd tell them to use open at first and only tell them they could use 2+3 later when they had developed confidence and some skill on the instrument. Likewise, I wouldn't tell a new trombonist to use 5th for that C at first. One of the mistakes I made early on with the trombone was trying to use alternates too soon, and getting wrong-footed by the additional layer of thinking that I wasn't ready for."

I am currently at the stage of (metaphorically) learning to walk with my baritone, so I'm concentrating on the basic fingering for the time being!

With best regards,

Jack

Product tMP members are discussing