ABEYB

Aidan

we did have special Jw Lees Besses banners for the stands but thats about it... Apart from selling their booze in the bandroom.
Luckily now though, we manage to get cheap stella, carlsberg, carling and worthingtons to keep everyone happy.. along with all the usual spirits :D

sudcornet

Sorry to hear about the upheaval Dave. I'm sure everything will continue as is, and you won't have to play any of those awful sponsors events will you? I've played for two sponsored bands in my time and they were the only two who didn't offer expenses---you had to beg for them!! Even had to buy my own uniform for one of them! Are you still needing cornets? Wouldn't mind a blow sometime if you are; I live up the road in Malton.
Nigel.

Valvecap

Sponsors events aint all bad.... the free beer tent after beverley races is always a highlight of the year...

Suppose at the end of the day, losing a sponsor just means the band has to work harder (or perhaps work as hard as they did before the sponsor turned up)

Driffield Silver are unsponsored and i have to conduct em at a gig on friday night - 500 invited mayors and important people... Our chairman thought it would be a good idea to do a programs of "show" pieces - the organiser asked "can you play a buddy holly selection" to which i nearly replied "no" - our chairman beat me to it and said "how much is it worth"...

Buddy Holly selection is finishing the first half... £100 going to the charity we are playing for. - idea snow balled and we are raising money for the band through similar "choose the program" events....

Anyone used that sort of thing for band funds???

ekimmort

Having just read through this thread, I would like to state that the facts behind the loss of Sponsorship from Aunt Bessies for the East Yorkshire Brass Band are different from those quoted. Tryton Foods did finally end the Sponsorship but were very generous in providing further funding to rebadge, purchase new banners and pay for lots of other items to smooth out the transitional period from March to September.
2003. Not all Members jumped ship, some stayed with the band which is alive and well playing as East Riding of Yorkshire Band.

try this 1 for size and colour aswell, the hebden bridge WALKLEY CLOGS brass band

as they were once anway lol

we were all pleased to remove that name from our mentions in contest/concert programs LOL

Splitone

ekimmort said:
Having just read through this thread, I would like to state that the facts behind the loss of Sponsorship from Aunt Bessies for the East Yorkshire Brass Band are different from those quoted. Tryton Foods did finally end the Sponsorship but were very generous in providing further funding to rebadge, purchase new banners and pay for lots of other items to smooth out the transitional period from March to September.
2003. Not all Members jumped ship, some stayed with the band which is alive and well playing as East Riding of Yorkshire Band.

Jumped Ship!!

From my understanding of it all, some people diverted the ship, made it dock, and then lowered the b*****y gang plank before getting off. Only problem was they were drilling holes in the hull as it went along. Next time you get an uppity drummer, just drown the ******!!

;)

Last edited:

ekimmort

Splitone said:
Jumped Ship!!

From my understanding of it all, some people diverted the ship, made it dock, and then lowered the b*****y gang plank before getting off. Only problem was they were drilling holes in the hull as it went along.
Next time you get an uppity drummer, just drown the ******!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Splitone

:tup Thank you for that generous applause. For an encore, the first comment of this thread by the valvecap.....

Once a pudding, always a pudding!
:lol:

Crazysop

Aidan said:
they only sponsored the bar didnt they!!! and bought some nice badges for our crappy uniforms :D
We used to be sponsored by J W lees, they let us rehearse in an old club, till they demolished it. Oh and they gave us a load of ties. Now we pay a kings ransome to rent a church hall. So It can be done without sponsorship, so chinup and keep on going, loads of bands are going strong these days without sponsorship!
Although I do miss the engagements at the brewery somewhat........

Last edited:

yorkie19

Splitone said:
:tup Thank you for that generous applause. For an encore, the first comment of this thread by the valvecap.....

Once a pudding, always a pudding!
:lol:

Say no more!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
OK, the fallout when bands lose sponsorship deals is always an emotive issue so we'll all do well to leave personal references out of this thread. Comments on the issue at hand are fine, but personal ones not fine - you can take those elsewhere.

End.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Just a comment from me wrt the Besses / Lees time.

The details of this particular association are quite complex, and I'm not going into detail in a public forum. The agreement was made in my period of absence from Band, and before I was appointed as one of the Directors of Besses o' th' Barn Band Limited.

My comment is just to reinforce that you make sure your understanding of the financial consequences of the deal is secure. Some potential partners will look attractive in terms of giving you up front cash, but the terms of the agreement if scrutinised closely may turn out to be that the 'sponsorship' is effectively a loan which could be secured on your Band's equipment or premises and may even involve some individual liability.

Product tMP members are discussing