A Song To Swing?

alks

Ok, needa bit of help here, Our principle cornet player has asked me to search for anywhere where the music for 'A song to swing ' can be obtained. This piece is featured on David Daws 'golden slippers' cd.
He feels that he can play it -(after hering him play Napoli yesterday i'm sure he can. )
(Its by martin Thoms)

Any ideas ?

WorldofBrass.com

I'll check it out for you although I don't think it is published.

Incidentally, Martin Thomas has written another solo for David called Conquering Swing and that appears on David's latest CD 'The Sound of David Daws'.

Dave Payn

Song to Swing

It's published by Salvationist Publishing and Supplies Ltd who are based in Tiverton Street, London SE1. 020 7367 6580

Regards

Dave Payn

Re: Oh well!

Dave Payn said:
PRS records say it's a Salvationist work! Ho hum!

But perhaps that's just publishing rights (royalties. It may not mean the music is in print.....

alks

Yes, i am lucky enough to be amongst the first to listen to Davids latest CD. I asked a friend to get it while at the finals on saturday.

Czardas is my favourite so far... but its a long cd so i'll be listening all week in the car.

If 'a song to swing ' is not available then which other technically demanding pieces are available? 'Golden slippers'?
Surly 'a song to swing' can be obtained somewhere ?

WorldofBrass.com

alks said:
Surly 'a song to swing' can be obtained somewhere ?

OK, here's the situation.
A Song to Swing has not been published and there are no plans to publish it.
The music remains the property of Martyn Thomas who may, or may not, make it available for someone else to play. Bear in mind that David Daws asked him to write it so he may not be keen on someone else playing it.
If you're still interested, send me a Private Message or email and I'll give you contact details for Martyn.

alks

Thanks , for finding out, a bit disapointed that it has not been published as it is a great piece.
I have instead encouraged hime to go for 'golden slippers' I think he put an order in yesterday from you.
i think it will be quite a challenge at 10 minutes long!and all those lip trills !

beard_4b

'world of brass' - on the point of publishing music - do you know of the status of the following pieces with regards to publishing:

timepiece - euph duet
just like him - cornet solo on the glory, glory cd
sounds of singing - cornet solo

do you know if the original music of clear skies will ever be made avaliable?

I was interested to see that you now have on sale the manuscript for the euph solo euphony - will there be more manuscripts on the way?

PeterBale

Staff member
alks said:
If 'a song to swing ' is not available then which other technically demanding pieces are available?

A couple of other solos you may like to look at are William Himes' "Jubilance" (published by SP&S in the Festival Series) and Richard Phillips' "Joyous Song", which I understand was played most impressively by Kevin Ashman at Southend on Saturday.

Martyn_Thomas

A Song to Swing

Hello,

David Daws has recently been in touch and made me aware of this thread.

You may be interested to know that David is re-recording A Song to Swing and the Score and Parts are due to be published in Holland sometime in 2007. The Solo will then be commercially available for purchase.

Kindest regards,

Martyn Thomas

WorldofBrass.com

beard_4b said:
'world of brass' - on the point of publishing music - do you know of the status of the following pieces with regards to publishing:

timepiece - euph duet
just like him - cornet solo on the glory, glory cd
sounds of singing - cornet solo

do you know if the original music of clear skies will ever be made avaliable?

I was interested to see that you now have on sale the manuscript for the euph solo euphony - will there be more manuscripts on the way?

Both Timepiece and Euphony have now been originated and are available in our Judd Street Collection.
The cornet solo Life Abundant is being originated at present for release in the next few weeks.