A Short Guide to Preparing to Record a Brass Band CD

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Any particular reason you've gone for XY over ORTF? It's a only personal preference of mine, but if I'm doing a stereo pair recording on Bands, I tend to prefer the stereo image of the latter. I generally use LDCs for it as well.

TBH, it's very difficult to form an opinion on what you've done from streaming M3s - I only use them under duress - but mastery of the stereo pair techniques (XY, ORTF, NOS, MS, AB etc) is a good thing to have ;)

Crazysop

Hey Keith, you guys did a tremendous job of our CD. So I'd like to say a great big public thanks and well done!!

They are selling like hot cakes and I just can't stop listening to mine at all!!

(If anyone is in Cyprus next week, I'll be treating them very loudly to it on my mp3 speaker dock!!!)

You guys are ace!!!!!

Roger Thorne

I'd just like to add to this thread if I may. Wem Band have just spent this weekend in the company of KMJ Recordings and I can thoroughly recommend this company to any band who is thinking of producing a commerical CD. Their professionalism, attention to detail and the relaxed atmosphere they created during the weekend is certainly a credit to Keith and his team. Recording your own band is a mammoth and sometimes daunting task, but with Keith's guidance it made the whole experience an enjoyable, humourous and memorable occassion.

Many thanks to Keith, Gareth, Rob and Rick for a fantastic weekend.

:tup

Big Twigge

I'd just like to add to this thread if I may. Wem Band have just spent this weekend in the company of KMJ Recordings and I can thoroughly recommend this company to any band who is thinking of producing a commerical CD. Their professionalism, attention to detail and the relaxed atmosphere they created during the weekend is certainly a credit to Keith and his team. Recording your own band is a mammoth and sometimes daunting task, but with Keith's guidance it made the whole experience an enjoyable, humourous and memorable occassion.

Many thanks to Keith, Gareth, Bob and Rick for a fantastic weekend.

I concur! Thought it'd be two really dull days (no offence intended to anybody!) but it was actually quite enjoyable!

I do however now have bruised lips (solely my own fault for not playing since the areas) and quite aching shoulders from trying to be so still and quiet all the time...When you're trying to be quiet, there are suddenly a lot of things that suddenly become exceedingly noisy (my stomach on a couple of occasions, not to mention clothes, buttons, mutes, pencils, breathing...!)

Good work, hope when you put your magic on it it sounds even more special!

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
I concur! Thought it'd be two really dull days (no offence intended to anybody!) but it was actually quite enjoyable!

Glad you found it that way - it's always better for us if we can get you to enjoy yourselves....you can hear it in the peformance if you really don't want to be there.

When you're trying to be quiet, there are suddenly a lot of things that suddenly become exceedingly noisy (my stomach on a couple of occasions.....)

I noticed, but don't worry I'll edit round the rumbles ;)

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member

Many thanks to Keith, Gareth, Bob and Rick for a fantastic weekend.

Thanks for the kind words Roger.

It's always a pleasure to work with an enthusiastic Band who've worked hard in their preparations as you obviously had - it makes our job much easier and enjoyable.

bagpuss

Better late than never I suppose!!!!......

I must add to the comments by Roger and Big Twigge on the recording by KMJ. It was a very enjoyable weekend (despite me aching in places I never knew I had). If anyone is in the process of deciding to make a cd and trying to decide who to record it for them, KMJ should be top of the list. They were utterly professional, very relaxed and had a great sense of humour and as has already been said they put the band at ease. They all seemed happy to mix with the band and answer an unending stream of what were probably inane questions from all of us too. And no, I'm not paid by or related to them!!! Once again, many thanks for a great weekend!!!

Puss

P.S. If Gareth reads this, hope you liked your cake!!!!!!

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
They all seemed happy to mix with the band and answer an unending stream of what were probably inane questions from all of us too.

Not in the slightest bit inane - in fact we're quite happy to accept questions if it helps people to understand what's going on....we find we get better results that way.

P.S. If Gareth reads this, hope you liked your cake!!!!!!

Well he didn't share it with us, so I guess he must have :D

Thanks again for the kind words - it's always nice to know that the customer's happy.

super_sop

Supporting Member
As everybody from Wem has already said we had a fantastic weekend last weekend.

I went into the weekend not knowing what on earth to expect from a full weekend recording sesion.

I turned up at 8.30 on the saturtday morning full of nerves!!! what i didn't expect was that most of the band were in exactly the same boat.

The day went really quicly and aas has already been said the guys made it really easy for us. i think it took a while for us to settle down, but when we did the usuall banter started. One quote that was bounced around all day from the front row "leave that bit to the sops" i don't think the front row played much above a middle c all day!!!:eek:

As well as beeing able to say how easy everbody made it for us as players, i can also say from a conductors point of view that KMJ Recordings also made things easy and stress free.
Sunday morning was started with a recording of our youth band. they were excited, and pretty nerve free, wich is more than can be sad of me.

BUT!!!

After a quick chat with keith and Gareth on what to do and what not to do it everything just fell in to place.

You guys made it an extremely pleasant experience both as a player and as a conductor.

I would have no problems at all recomending you to any band looking to produce a high quality product.

keep up the good work guys:tup

Craig

ROBTHEDOG

Well --- These comments just consolidate our initial thoughts and add weight to our committment in signing up today to use KMJ for our upcoming recording later in the year !!

Keith has been great in providing advise and support and let's hope the end result matches our early excitment !

Looking forward to a great weekend and an even better product !!

Rob

tindagrae

Keith,

Just want to put my sincere thanks on record to You, Gareth & Rob for your hard work last weekend. The service you provided was second to none. I have recorded with Doyen previously and had an expectation of what a 'quality' recording session should be like and in all honesty, you exceded every expectation.

In Gareth, you have a producer who must be one of the finest in the UK. His dry comments and informative insight into good muscianship and the techniques of recording gave us the information we required to perform at our best in the most relaxed of atmospheres.

At Wednesday's rehearsal there was such a 'buzz' about the bandroom with players approaching me saying how much they had enjoyed the weekend and how they wish they could do it again this weekend......... for my band, thats a really good recommendation!!

Can't wait to hear the finished product - as Gareth said at the beginning of the session, 'we can't make you sound better than you are, but we will endevour to make you sound as good as you actually are' - I have every belief you will do that!

Many Thanks Once Again,

Graeme Tindall
Musical Director
The Felling Band

ROBTHEDOG

May we add our endorsements. We had the pleasure during the weekend of 17th / 18th November to experience KMJ.

Seems the feedback from all bands here is equally positive. For sure there is not much much more that we could say, in fact when I read Graeme's post, I thought it was about our weekend.

We await the finished product and as I said privately to Keith, Gareth, Rob & Rick, having been in with 'many other' recording companies this was TOP DRAW and I haven't heard a negative comment at all from our band...

We were lucky to have a fellow Welshman in our band who helped with the translation !!!!...

Seriously many thanks

Rob Stew
Band Manager

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
......and who said turds couldn't be polished? ;)

Thankfully, I won't have to ;)

Gents, you're more than welcome.

The approach of both Bands to the sessions, your warm welcome and hard work has already made my post-production much easier, and I'm glad that the Band Members enjoyed the experience.

Rob, you would've needed another translator if you'd have heard the was Mr Collinson's accent changed within 3 minutes of getting out of the van when he was almost 'back home' :biggrin:

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Rob, you would've needed another translator if you'd have heard the was Mr Collinson's accent changed within 3 minutes of getting out of the van when he was almost 'back home' :biggrin:

Eh? :confused:

Too early in the morning, obviously....that should have been
Rob, you would've needed another translator if you'd have heard how Mr Collinson's accent changed within 3 minutes of getting out of the van when he was almost 'back home' :biggrin:

Keith certainly provides an alternative to KMJ Recordings - as do the likes of Doyen, Reelsound and others.

In our experience, 'best' is fairly subjective...and it's the reason why Faireys are coming to us for the next Acid Brass project, we're recording for the Clarence Adoo Trust and Leyland are returning for their third CD with KMJ Recordings in the New Year....

Jess Tredrea
KMJ Recordings