A question for footie fans

I think Norwich will

• Total voters

Maestro

Dave Payn said:
Thank heavens this is a friendly forum. Otherwise I might be tempted to respond using two words usually associated with sex and travel. And in that order! ;-) :lol: :lol:

You mean a paid holiday for me Dave? :oops: :oops:

Steve

With all due respect I dont think they have a chance of mid table and avoiding relegation will be a MAJOR achievement. It all depends how quickly the team come to terms with the premiership and how much fight they have in them. Leicester had masses of experience, a team of internationals but not the fight they used to have (mainly due to all the new faces) so they still struggled. I havent seen enough of Norwich to answer this as well as I would like but as long as the heads dont drop after a bad start and their home form is solid then they stand a chance, there is some good teams without the battle in them (spurs, man city, everton etc) that could easily take the relegation places next year and obviously the other teams that gain promotion are gonna struggle.

Dave Payn

Maestro said:
Dave Payn said:
Thank heavens this is a friendly forum. Otherwise I might be tempted to respond using two words usually associated with sex and travel. And in that order! ;-) :lol: :lol:

You mean a paid holiday for me Dave? :oops: :oops:

:lol:

Joking aside, well, Ipswich got a UEFA cup spot in their first season so why not Norwich? In fact, wasn't it against Norwich that Lee Dixon scored that spectacular own goal at Highbury?

Heather

Poor old Norwich...they've only just been promoted and you're already talking about whether they'll go down or not next season!
I remember when Bolton Wanderers got promoted a few years back and the bookies were taking bets on whether they'd be relegated the following season BEFORE the current season was over!
All the best to Norwich next season...and I think they'll just stay up. Couldn't bear to make Delia cry!

Chunky

geordiecolin said:
Sorry, but I really don't see any of the promoted clubs (whoever they may be) next year staying up. To be fair to Norwich, there is little doubt that their most influential player is Huckerby, who in all honesty is without doubt a great Div 1 player but has yet to do anything of great note in the premiership, bar a few glimpses of brilliance for Coventry.

I hear what you are saying Colin about DH, but I believe he has matured and openly admits that in his past he has not been a team player and appreciates he needs to be of a we rather than me mind. Also he now has a manager who actually believes in him.

Norwich though? Huckerby has pace and will run at people but as before stated isn't really premiership quality. If Norwich bring in a couple of experienced premiership players who are willing to dig in and fight it out and have a good, dangerous, potent front 2..... who knows. Combine with this with the rapidly imploding Man City, the 2nd season syndrome about to hit Portsmouth and the averageness that is Spurs....

If looking for strikers with a bright future and can score watch Leon McKenzie next season, he has pace and is a real poacher. Also England U19s top two players in recent matches have been Ian Henderson and Ryan Jarvis, all of whom play for Norwich. We also have probably the best uncapped English goalkeeper in Robert Green

But if I had to bet on it right now, my money would be on 3 promoted relegatees. Having watched Sheff Utd v Ipswich the other week, neither of those teams looked anywhere near Premiership quality, so god help them if they get through the play-offs. West Brom, no real goalscorer. And as the mackems??? Don't make me laugh! 6 points next seasons though! :D

As for comparing Norwich City to Sheffield United and the Blue and white rabble check the points difference. 19 between us and the rabble and 21 between us and the Blades. Thats why they are not Premiership quality.

2nd man down

Staff member
I really hope they can do it...the more teams that can get promoted and make good use of it the better...well done teams like pompey, Charlton, Bolton (Finally), Man City and much as it pains me to say it Birmingham with Steve "Oh lets just build up a massive wage bill and sit all the highest paid players on the bench" Bruce!!

I think Norwich will really struggle,but if they're canny and spend what money they can afford to wisely, i don't see any reason why they can't stay up with the others.
Good luck Norwich, teams that play bold, flowing attractive football deserve to ply their trade in the top flight.

geordiecolin

Chunky said:
If looking for strikers with a bright future and can score watch Leon McKenzie next season, he has pace and is a real poacher. Also England U19s top two players in recent matches have been Ian Henderson and Ryan Jarvis, all of whom play for Norwich. We also have probably the best uncapped English goalkeeper in Robert Green

Having never seen the above play, i can hardly comment, but bright youngsters in my opinion mean nothing in the Premiership... soo many England U17/U19s are so hyped up and come to nothing. Take Chopra at the toon for instance... proven goalscorer at every level.. but hasn't ever looked like scoring for the first team..

Having said that though, when they're banging in 20+ goals a season, I'll more than happily eat a large slice of humble pie!!

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see Norwich stay up, I'd rather that the Plastic Geordies down the road were consigned back to the Nationwide once again and convincingly.

Norwich I feel though will be like the Baggies. Fun to watch, but essentially mostly harmless.

Pythagoras

Have to agree with Colin. Haven't seen Norwich play this year, but the general standard of this year's Div 1 is awful. Sheff Utd have had a terrible season and could still make the play-offs. Unless someone like Man City collapses, I think the promoted teams will all come down.

Chunky

geordiecolin said:
Norwich I feel though will be like the Baggies. Fun to watch, but essentially mostly harmless.

Baggies fun to watch, well if you like kick boxing and negative football. And harmless well DH's fractured ribs following the baggies match doesnt seem that harmless. But I do take your point!

Maestro

Can't say I agree that WBA are fun to watch. Personally I would rather watch Cliff Thorburn and Terry Griffiths play the best of 100 frames :roll:

ploughboy

I hope the "yellas" stay up, mainly to help stop the void between 1st and Premier league's widening further, I think it'll be a tough ols year, but as portsmouth have showed this year it's not an impossible task, I think you need to learn from Pompies problems this year, you need a decent size squad, at least 6/7 extra quality players sat on bench, i know this isn't always possible, If your lucky with injuries etc. etc. you might not need more than 3/4 spare subs.

As for Jermaine Pennent, I wouldn't call him a trouble maker, he's done well for Leeds this season, especially when you look at what was going on around him!

Chunky

ploughboy said:
As for Jermaine Pennent, I wouldn't call him a trouble maker, he's done well for Leeds this season, especially when you look at what was going on around him!

I would love to see him at Carrow Road as it would give Norwich options. I had just heard that he has had his problems in the past, but maybe he has turned over a new leaf.

2nd man down

Staff member
Chunky said:
ploughboy said:

I would love to see him at Carrow Road as it would give Norwich options. I had just heard that he has had his problems in the past, but maybe he has turned over a new leaf.

Come on, he was playing for Leeds...what more troubles could he have?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ploughboy

At least he won't be bitting his nails this weekend when i laugh my bottom (clean version) off cos Town bottle it!!!

2nd man down

Staff member
ploughboy said:
At least he won't be bitting his nails this weekend when i laugh my bottom (clean version) off cos Town bottle it!!!

m-i-c...k-e-y...m-o-u-s-e....MICKEY MOUSE...MICKEY MOUSE!!!

COME ON THE TERRIERS, a club Yorkshiremen CAN be proud of!!

Ever heard about the Ledds United Bra? It's got no cups and b*gger all support!!! :twisted: :twisted: :p

lynchie

Chunky said:
As for comparing Norwich City to Sheffield United and the Blue and white rabble check the points difference. 19 between us and the rabble and 21 between us and the Blades. Thats why they are not Premiership quality.

Unfortunately I think the points difference may be your down fall... going from being easily the best side in the division to suddenly being a whipping boy for Thierry and Roman's Millionaires could be a bit of a culture shock!

Will the Sec

Maestro said:
I know he scored with a 'cushioned' header for Ipsw*** a few years ago.

I bumped into George Graham the week after at the Bobby Moore Memorial match. (Waltham Forest Band played that day. I had my workmates going for weeks before that. I am playing, on the pitch OK???) George was managing the Premiership XI.

Having cornered him on a tight staircase whilst carrying down a large box of percussion, I asked him what he thought of Trevor Youds own goal in the Ipswich/Arsenal game. His answer was "I though Lee Dixon's was funnier!"

Never knew the man had a sense of humour.

Will the Sec

I don't think it will matter who goes up - I'm having a bet with Ladbrokes that the three coming up go straight down again.

Chunky

Nigel Wothington confirms that Norwich City have made enquiries about bringing David Bentley to Norwich on a long term loan deal.

OK so there is loads of speculation but it is very rare for our Nige to go public about incoming / out going players. Watch this space, especially you Mr Payn :wink: :wink:

Product tMP members are discussing