A long awaited return to banding

NeilOverton

Howdy, folks.
As a teenager I was principal cornet for Rowntree Band, then baritone then euph.
Now, after my lads bought me a second hand horn for my 51st, i find myself in a local band as 1st horn player.
And I'm loving it.
But I need your help...
I really want a horn copy of some of the pieces I used to play and love.
If anyone has a copy of any horn part for these, you'd make an old man happy.
Sinfonietta ( Langford)
Shipbuilders
Dimensions
Land of the long white cloud
Concerto grosso

Please let me know if you'd be able to send a photo or scan...
Cheers.
N

Jack E

"Old man", he says . . . at 51 . . . pfft!! :rolleyes: 😊 I can remember being 51 like it were yesterday . . . an' killing a woolly mammoth to celebrate the tribe learning how to make fire, instead of just sitting around waiting for a thunderbolt to hit a tree . . .

But, seriously, Neil - welcome back to the Land of Brass, and I hope that somebody can help you out.

With best regards,
Jack

John Brooks

Lol with Jack. I too well remember my younger days! Glad to hear you're enjoying playing again; make the most of it and I will you success. Good luck with your music hunt.
John

NeilOverton

Lol. I'm certainly enjoying getting the lip back in with arban, salvation army hymns and ravenswood and concert prelude for the time being.
Not sure how much more my family can take though!
Last weeks rehearsal was cancelled due to positive tests among several. So covid continues to disrupt the opening up of the band world .
Supposed to be a march contest on the 19th of september in Blackburn. Looks doubtful.
I'm assuming this last 18 months has had a catastrophic impact on us. I hear of many players calling it a day ahead of their time. Lord knows how things will pan out . I imagine many smaller bands will fold. Does anyone have any inside knowledge on the state of things?

Jack E

@NeilOverton - I suspect you're right, and that many smaller bands will fold. What concerns me the most is what happens to youngsters who were only at learners / training band stage; a band shutting down for the best part of 18 months seemed like a very long time to me (and I'm 74). What must it have seemed like to a child of 8 or 9 years old? Or even to a teenager who was only at the learner stage? I fear that many of them will have found other interests in the meantime, and may never return to playing brass at all - and that won't just be a personal loss to them.

If juniors and learners aren't being trained by bands to replace main band members who retire, or move away, then it won't just be the smaller bands that will fold - aside from the championship and 1st section bands, who can snap up the music college graduates, the majority of bands will be at risk of permanent closure.

With best regards,
Jack

NeilOverton

I fear you're correct. As an ex teacher in primary schools, I've also seen a marked swing away from brass lessons either as a class or in small groups like I once used to see. Now, it's all guitars or, worse, Ukeleles, and keyboards.
It's bound to feed through in 10 years.

Product tMP members are discussing