A Good Tip for Contest Secretarys /Secretarys-Registration Cards

ian perks

When your band is going to a Contest its a good idea to make sure you have got all the cards of the players who are plying on the day of contest ;ie
dont leave it till the last minute night before the contest.
I put all the cards out on the floor (at least 14 days in advance) in the positions they will be playing just in case you cant find one/mislaid it:oops:
Works every time:clap:

Mesmerist

Thanks for that Ian. I have been asked if I would do Contest sec job but I`ve not done it before. Is it a lot of work/stress on the day of contest?
And do you have to do a lot of chasing up players and bands for photos ect?

Bayerd

When your band is going to a Contest its a good idea to make sure you have got all the cards of the players who are plying on the day of contest ;ie
I put all the cards out on the floor (at least 14 days in advance) in the positions they will be playing just in case you cant find one/mislaid it:oops:

Pulled straight from the pages of last week's Woman's Realm;)

Thanks for that Ian. I have been asked if I would do Contest sec job but I`ve not done it before. Is it a lot of work/stress on the day of contest?

The job of Contest sec can be very easy or almost impossible. The more changes in personnel you have, the more work you will have to do. if you enter lots of contests it will be more again. Chasing players for photos, other secretaries for transfer forms can also be a pain.

If you enter one contest a year and have a stable band then it's simple!!!

Pulled straight from the pages of last week's Woman's Realm;)

And if you've got a solo baritone missing, replace it with the Queen of Hearts or start a game of happy families!

(Sorry Rafa!)
:lol:

Bungle

If you are involved in the draw be prepared to get abuse if you draw to play first or last, even if it's not your fault.

Chunky

Brilliant tip Mr Perks. Just one question is doing this 14 days before essential. Would it work if I tried it say 8 days before?

zak

Is it April 1st already??? ;)

Accidental

Supporting Member
"Baldrick, I can see a flaw in this cunning plan" . . . .
Would it be that most bands don't have all their players registered 14 days before the contest?!

Seriously though (was this ever meant to be a serious thread? :lol:), given the amount of questions I get from other contest secs and the queries that bounce around on here from time to time, a tips thread actually isn't a bad idea.

FWIW, my top tips would be
1. Learn the rules.
People may mock you for being an anorak, but it saves a lot of hassle if you take the time to understand the rules we're all meant to abide by.
2. Make friends with the registrars - local and BBBR.
They're good people and they'll bend over backwards to help people who are generally stuck (rather than disorganised and/or ignorant of the rules)

ian perks

Saturday worked a treat like it did for the National Final 2007 which was my first contest as contest secretary;
Its so easy and simple to do no panick looking for a card when you hand them out;
Whats known as
Get prepared in advance!!!!;) saves a lot of hassle if you cant find a players card when you are about to sign on ;
i.e leaving it till the last few minutes;)

Anno Draconis

More contesting top tips:

If you're using supplied percussion and the piece requires a vibraphone, take an extension lead with you, in case for any reason you want to move the wretched thing within 10 feet of the band and turn the motors on. :rolleyes:

Sadly this top piece of contesting wisdom comes too late for bands competing in the Butlins 2nd section, who had the choice of Vibes near the band with no motors, or fully functional Vibes on the stage 15 feet away........:eek:

Thanks for the tips - I dont know how i've managed without such wise words!
I would never have thought to check things beforehand. Next you'll be tipping us to read the rules.

More contesting top tips:

If you're using supplied percussion and the piece requires a vibraphone, take an extension lead with you, in case for any reason you want to move the wretched thing within 10 feet of the band and turn the motors on. :rolleyes:

Sadly this top piece of contesting wisdom comes too late for bands competing in the Butlins 2nd section, who had the choice of Vibes near the band with no motors, or fully functional Vibes on the stage 15 feet away........:eek:

And another tip is to remind your percussionist to not trip up over the vibraphone lead, causing a power outtage and feedback mid performance

Bayerd

Thanks for the tips - I dont know how i've managed without such wise words!
I would never have thought to check things beforehand. Next you'll be tipping us to read the rules.

Meanwhile back on page one.............
Would it be that most bands don't have all their players registered 14 days before the contest?!

Seriously though (was this ever meant to be a serious thread? :lol:), given the amount of questions I get from other contest secs and the queries that bounce around on here from time to time, a tips thread actually isn't a bad idea.

FWIW, my top tips would be
1. Learn the rules.
People may mock you for being an anorak, but it saves a lot of hassle if you take the time to understand the rules we're all meant to abide by.

2. Make friends with the registrars - local and BBBR.
They're good people and they'll bend over backwards to help people who are generally stuck (rather than disorganised and/or ignorant of the rules)