4th Section has all the best pieces?

alks

Isnt it true that the 4th section test pieces seam to have all the 'stick in your mind' elements from an audiences point of view? Because they are not over complicated, they seam to be easier to remember and hum afterwards. Put on the regionals 2004 or 2003 cd and and the piece that stciks in mind most is the 4th section partita or northen landscapes.
People moan over the lack of audiences at competitions- but is it because the higher section pieces are too complicated for the general public to enjoy? or am i talking a load of bull?
I did i test on non-banding family members -they all picked out the 4th section piece as there favourite- strange eh?

Alks

Pythagoras

alks said:
Isnt it true that the 4th section test pieces seam to have all the 'stick in your mind' elements from an audiences point of view? Because they are not over complicated, they seam to be easier to remember and hum afterwards. Put on the regionals 2004 or 2003 cd and and the piece that stciks in mind most is the 4th section partita or northen landscapes.
People moan over the lack of audiences at competitions- but is it because the higher section pieces are too complicated for the general public to enjoy? or am i talking a load of bull?
I did i test on non-banding family members -they all picked out the 4th section piece as there favourite- strange eh?

Alks

As someone who was listening to the First Section piece for the first time on Saturday, I found it a bit hard going, but its probably good to play.

Aardvark

alks said:
Put on the regionals 2004 or 2003 cd and and the piece that stciks in mind most is the 4th section partita or northen landscapes.

Alks

Wasn't Northern Landscapes the 3rd section piece last year :?:

Elspeth

AJSOP

Aardvark said:
Wasn't Northern Landscapes the 3rd section piece last year :?:
Yes Northern Landscapes was 3rd section area piece last year. It is a great piece to both play and listen to in my opinion.

Partita is actually my least favourite of all five test pieces this year. I'm undecided which is my favourite, but Coventry Variations has been growing on me quite a lot recently. Interesting listening to Tristan 15 times in one afternoon in Bradford yesterday as well! But then, that Bass Trom gliss near the start of Vizcaya. Cor!

What can I say, I used to be indecisive, but I'm not sure any more...!

lynchie

I think this year, the best piece for me as a listener has been kaleidoscope... although I have to say that Tristan was seriously mind-numbing to listen to. Nothing against any of the bands, just the piece seemed to go on and on for no good reason!!

Straightmute

I think that all of this year's pieces are very good, but this has not always been the case. It doesn't seem like so long ago that the fourth section was fobbed off with music of a very low calibre. Does anyone else here remember Four Fors for Band???

I qualified with it in 1991 (!) but would not recognise it if I heard it today...

D

ScrapingtheBottom

I think CV is a great test piece, but as a piece of music I find it pretty impenitrable. Maybe its my lack of refined musical hearing but after the exposition of the conventry carol at the beginning I never heard it again throughout the piece. Great trombone bits though.

BigD

Here's one to throw into the pot.
How about having the 4th section play a set entertainment programme -say with 4 pieces in it. (All picked by the panel.) This might see an increased entry as some bands would find it less daunting than a heavier test piece. More than one piece should not worry anyone as only a couple of years ago two were used. Might even increase the audience!
Just a thought. :p

Lauradoll

No way do the 4th section have the best pieces. Look at the posts for the best test piece poll. Not many 4th section pieces there are there.

Keppler

Staff member
Perhaps that's saying something in and of itself Laura?

Personally speaking - I think that 4th section gets some really good pieces (as well as the odd clunker). Pennine Moors, for example is a firm favourite..

alks

Sorry i mean 'lower sections' 3rd and 4th.

And i also mean from a Audiences perspective.
I'm sure that higher section pieces offer a lot to the player -but the amount of complex runs/notes/timeings/ erratic changes etc make it complicated for the audience. Hense lack of interest in listening to them etc......
Alks

Naomi McFadyen

When I was playing in 4th section bands I didn't like some of the test pieces that came along... and in light of this, I don't remember what half of them were called...
Definatly 2nd section and above have the best music... Love it! (although, some 3rd section pieces are pretty good too)
This years area pieces are all fantastic though... I quite like Partita!

PeterBale

Staff member
Lauradoll said:
No way do the 4th section have the best pieces. Look at the posts for the best test piece poll. Not many 4th section pieces there are there.
It's probably fair to say that unless you play in a lower section band, or unless the piece concened has become so popular that it has become regularly recorded or programmed, the average bandsman is much less likely to know the 3rd and 4th section pieces than they are the top section ones. Maybe if more were suggested we could take the hint and explore them for ourselves :wink:

geordiecolin

I think a lot of 3rd/4th Section test pieces are more "listenable" to, I could listen to bands play Partita/Vizcaya all day, but my head was exploding after just one performance of Tristan yesterday (and it was nothing to with the standard of the performance).

Perhaps this is to do with the slightly less complex nature and availability of a strong melody to grasp hold of.

Playing-wise however, especially as a bass player, 4th section pieces especially are generally a bore. There are several 1st/2nd Section testpieces that I've enjoyed playing, and can listen to all day eg. Rhapsody in Brass, Purcell Variations, Kaleidoscope.

The 3rd/4th Section pieces I've played with good bass parts are few and far between, St Austell Suite being the only one that I can recall right now.

tim

alks said:
Isnt it true that the 4th section test pieces seam to have all the 'stick in your mind' elements from an audiences point of view?alks

Not all of the best pieces are stick in the mind pieces. sometimes the subtle ones that you don't remeber a not of are the most effective (and most frustrating when you want to recall a melody)

I think most of philip sparke's championship section pieces are very listenable for even non-banders.

The Cornet King

alks said:
Isnt it true that the 4th section test pieces seam to have all the 'stick in your mind' elements from an audiences point of view?
Alks

I think that depends who you are in the audience. After Listening to YBS's Tristan Encounters yesterday that will stick in my mind (and im sure many others) for a very long time! :D

True you can whistle along down the street more to say Northern Landscapes, Partita etc but whatever the piece is, if you become familiar with it, a piece from any section can have the effect of sticking in your mind, especially when played well.

Hollso

The Cornet King said:
True you can whistle along down the street more to say Northern Landscapes...

Did you play percussion for that one? I was tryin to remember...
To be honest, i still whistle Vizcaya, but thats a little off topic.