4br awards 2014

Bbmad

I'll ignore the fact that you spelt 'it's as 'its' whilst correcting my grammar, as it's irrelevant and everyone understands what you meant.
Can I just say thank you for correcting the poster in their spelling.

I am always grateful to those who provide this service to Tmp. I just wish people would do it more often.

And of course it gives everyone the opportunity to see how clever you are.

yoooff

Simonium,

"probably has an easier job than any other secretary of any other band."

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've had the privilege of working with Mike when Govan Salvation Army arranged for them to come to Glasgow and feature with Hayley Westenra at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. I found him highly professional, organised, helpful and courteous - which given the concert schedule Dyke have - is probably for more than I could manage!

Colin

hobgoblin

Simonium,

"probably has an easier job than any other secretary of any other band."

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've had the privilege of working with Mike when Govan Salvation Army arranged for them to come to Glasgow and feature with Hayley Westenra at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. I found him highly professional, organised, helpful and courteous - which given the concert schedule Dyke have - is probably for more than I could manage!

Colin
You do realise the 'sycophancy award' is just a joke don't you? It's good to hear that Mike is a cut above all those unprofessional, disorganised, unhelpful, and discourteous administrators from other bands.

hobgoblin

Awards results out now! I'm feeling a little smug as I was spot on with all my predictions/votes bar two. Massive result for that band from Queensbury who obviously found massive favour with many listeners this year and deservedly so.

Bbmad

Awards results out now! I'm feeling a little smug as I was spot on with all my predictions/votes bar two. Massive result for that band from Queensbury who obviously found massive favour with many listeners this year and deservedly so.
Well done the winners an well done HG you clever thing.

I look forward to seeing the Band of the Kings Division at Butlins, the 4BR write up certainly gives them some credibility.

DS2014

Thought Zoe Hancock would win... Any of you history buffs know how many other players won best instrumentalist at both the Nationals and Open in the same year?

MosleyMF

This is a seriously great result for Black Dyke I agree. Not only did they get the band of the year etc which obviously is totally deserved because they did the double which is a massive feat but added to that they picked up awards in other categories. The voters obviously decided to do the band a favour and celebrate their undeniable quality. What they have achieved this year is akin to Sir Alex Ferguson winning the Treble. I'll be playing my Dyke Cds tonight in my conservatory in celebration of their much deserved success, for me what they have achieved is the greatest thing since the rather rotund chap next door to me passed his Jet Ski license. Brilliant, well done Black Dyke and Doctor Nick.

Bbmad

One small suprise is that there was nothing in the cupboard for Cory, considering that they are sat at the top of the tree as the best band in the world.

Thought Zoe Hancock would win... Any of you history buffs know how many other players won best instrumentalist at both the Nationals and Open in the same year?
Zoe Hancock would have been a very deserving winner and got my vote, there was only a small margin in it. Well done to David Childs.

tuba70

According to 4barsrest, it is the first time:

"... star flugel player Zoe Hancock created a unique place in the contesting history books by claiming the ‘Best Instrumentalist’ award - becoming the first player to claim the honour at the British Open and National Finals in the same year."

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=19320

tkhbss

Their choice of special award is brilliant. Inspired sycophancy. I look forward to seeing how Mike Shenton organises half of Black Dyke to come to Cornwall
in the spring almost as much as trying to second guess which bands in the vicinity will provide the deps needed. Ridiculous award for a man who probably has an easier job than any other secretary of any other band.
I saw Dyke the last time they were in Truro and they brought their full complement of players. I think Dyke and Cory are probably the most dependable bands to field the same band in contests and concerts. Can't understand why you would think it is easy to manage a band with 40-50 engagements a year, and I think the award stated that it was the way he did his job (effectively but quietly and in the background) for which he was given the award. So what's your expertise then, Simon? I see you are a great euphonium player and good looking bloke http://www.pendennisbrass.org/meet-the-band/

I think the special award is well deserved. I have read the explanation for why it was given and it seems more than reasonable. In fact the article recognises the important role of non playing administrative members.
"The unsung heroes of the banding world are the administrators - the grafters who also sacrifice themselves to long hours in the bandroom, the dedication and the practice; the men and women who can never please everyone all the time, but do a remarkable job in keeping the vast majority of them in blissful ignorance of just what it takes to run a successful brass band."
As a non player myself, I think that sums it up very well.

2nd tenor

Point of clarification.

I find it interesting that in the 4barsrest article they clearly state that Mike has (and maybe still might) played both Cornet and Euphonium: "A former cornet and euphonium player, Mike enjoyed banding success as part of the Ecclesfield Band that won the Fourth Section National title in 1978, before moving to enjoy further happy times with Stannington. His increasingly successful professional career limited his time he could give to his banding passions, but he became involved once more at Rothwell on the administration side of things." (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2014/1474.asp).

In my own experience of banding I have found that band secretaries work very hard and for little reward. By chance I happen to know the secretaries of several local bands, including a championship one, and they are all players in their bands too. It seems to me that secretaries, and other band officials, are almost always players in their band and that when not players in it (perhaps they are too old or, as in this case? do not play at the right skill level) they do have playing experience.

Last edited:

2nd tenor

Easy to single out this award for critisism / sycophancy, as there is of course no vote/opposition. I'm sure the logistics of organising Dyke are massive, as are the expenses unless you can fill an end chair with a free 'lucky to be there' malleable teeny. However, I would also suggest that the work involved in making sure the average 4th section band like mine has more than 12 players at a job requires at least as much work. Different problems requiring different solutions, but perhaps just as much selfless unpaid (mostly) work. Sadly there is no vote / nomination for the hundreds of other band secretaries -which I think is simoniums point.
That all seems reasonable to me. Hard to see why a recent poster hasn't picked up on your logic.