40's music ideas

jockinafrock

Need your help again folks! Got a 40's night event in a month or two, and looking for lots of ideas of great 40's music. We've got a fair bit, but I'm sure there're always pieces out there I haven't thought of. Job is for 3 hours! Cheers! :D

James Yelland

Sandy Smith's Light Programme Legends includes British light music from about that era, including the Dick Barton theme tune.

GJG

I assume you'll already have considered obvious candidates, such as Darrol Barry's "Keep smiling through" ... ?

toby hobson

Thanks for that Jim - a new one to me. :)

Howard Snell arranged that 20 plus years ago Fiona, I wouldnt mind betting you could find someone to have a look for it in the Fodens Libary. Its called Devil's Gallop.

What music are you after? Light.. (la vie un rose) classical ( Simple Gifts Copeland ) dance band (Miller Magic ) Film (49th Parallel)

Andrew Norman

"Sing As We Go" was one of the most popular songs during WW2 - thanks to Mony Python it's also known but younger generations...
Has always managed to get my audiences singing along (original or new lyrics!!)
£10 to print & play here
Others you might like to consider are Stardust, As Time Goes By, Begin The Beguine and This Is The Army Mr Jones.
All available to download from www.pdfbrass.com

jockinafrock

I assume you'll already have considered obvious candidates, such as Darrol Barry's "Keep smiling through" ... ?

Hi Gareth - we don't have a huge library and, if I haen't played it myself for a while, I can never remember the pieces. KST's a good one though, thanks for reminding me!
:sup

jockinafrock

Howard Snell arranged that 20 plus years ago Fiona, I wouldnt mind betting you could find someone to have a look for it in the Fodens Libary. Its called Devil's Gallop.

What music are you after? Light.. (la vie un rose) classical ( Simple Gifts Copeland ) dance band (Miller Magic ) Film (49th Parallel)

Hiya toby me old mucker - think I'll be buttering Jimbo up and having a root through the archives! It's for a 40's evening - not sure yet if they're gonna want us to toot the whole night (3 hrs!) so stuff that's easy on the chops! :D

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
Not forgetting Black 7 White nos 1 & 2 - both have wartime songs in there. And whilst written afterwards, you could justify The Dambuters, A Bridge Too Far and the Luftwaffe March from Battle of Britaoin perhaps?

MoominDave

Surprised not to see any swing band music suggestions yet. Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington are the two obvious big names to start with. More ideas here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940s_in_jazz
Early 40s more promising than late 40s - can't think of much in the way of bebop arranged for brass band out there.

'Miller Magic' (arr Denzil Stephens) contains the following tunes off the top of my head
Little Brown Jug (older, but Miller version 1939)
A String of Pearls (1941)
Moonlight Serenade (1939)
St Louis Blues March (1943)

There are various other Miller arrangements out there. Brass bands playing swing is always a slightly awkward thing, but it would fit the bill well here.

Of course, there is also some quality original brass band music from that decade, but I suspect your audience aren't after Rhapsody in Brass​...

You could always add in any of the musical selections from that era:
Oklahoma
Carousel
South Pacific
Another openin' Another Show (Kiss Me Kate)

Cole Porter's 'Every Time We Say Goodbye'

Sandy Smith has done a compilation of tunes that Fred Astaire used to dance to under the title 'Astaire'

We have just played "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" (George Bassman; arr. Bill Geldard) of Tommy Dorsey fame. It went down really well. It requires a band, and esecially a trombone soloist and drummer, who can get into the "feel" of that kind of music.

johnmartin

Aces High (The Luftwaffe March) although that might not go down too well with the audience. Other than that there is tons of well known marches that evoke the spirit of the era e.g. A Bridge Too Far, RAF March Past. What about The Great Escape

Dave Payn

Aces High (The Luftwaffe March) although that might not go down too well with the audience. Other than that there is tons of well known marches that evoke the spirit of the era e.g. A Bridge Too Far, RAF March Past. What about The Great Escape

How about Opus One? (Tommy Dorsey). Bill Geldard's arrangement is more faithful to the original but there is an arrangement in the Bernaerts catalogue which is 'easier on the chops'!

wife divine

Supporting Member
Love Is A Many Splendored Thing. There's a couple of arrangements available. The film was popular and so was the music.