2017 Regional Test Piece Rumours

GJG

Certainly, if someone had the energy, enthusiasm and resources to put together a "Brass Band of the Age of Enlightenment", I'd like to be involved ...

ari01

I saw a lovely comment on facebook suggesting that those bands who play from the original orchestration should be rewarded for historically informed performance practice and good taste - somehow I doubt this will happen.

Whilst we're at it then we should also omit the middle dirge (oops...I mean movement) just like they did for the 1934 British Open....

smaca

Whilst we're at it then we should also omit the middle dirge (oops...I mean movement) just like they did for the 1934 British Open....
Like it or loathe it,it will take a group of special players to pull the middle movement off. One of the best bit of writing for brass bands ever.

nethers

If the fourth section piece is so rubbish, why not take a year off? Pick a fun contest somewhere else and spend money on that instead.

Andy_Euph

Maybe an easier 4th section test piece means instead of some bands starting practice on it Jan 1st, they can work on other, complimentary repertoire and not start until Feb 1st?

We didn't start looking at Phileas Fogg until mid February so I've a feeling this one will be the same.

I share the frustration of others that while all the other sections get a piece that sets technical challenges, the 4th section get something relatively straightforward.

However I think it's a bit unfair some of the abuse aimed at Alan, who is a top bloke, that I've seen knocking about online. The piece will have been written with a specific purpose in mind...I'm sure the area contest wasn't it! After all, he didn't make the music panel pick the piece. Hopefully he won't get threatened with court proceedings this time!!

MoominDave

However I think it's a bit unfair some of the abuse aimed at Alan, who is a top bloke, that I've seen knocking about online. The piece will have been written with a specific purpose in mind...I'm sure the area contest wasn't it! After all, he didn't make the music panel pick the piece. Hopefully he won't get threatened with court proceedings this time!!

I wasn't going to say anything, not wanting to stir the pot, but I do agree. Alan is a great bloke, a real supporter of grassroots banding who works his socks off non-stop putting in effort where it's most needed - with youth bands, lower section bands, and with band associations. He writes the pieces he's asked to write, and he's got a strong talent for supplying commissioning people with exactly what they want. A super musician, and a very humble chap who's had some disgraceful abuse from bandspeople in the past for no good reason on similar subjects.

I wasn't going to say anything, not wanting to stir the pot, but I do agree. Alan is a great bloke, a real supporter of grassroots banding who works his socks off non-stop putting in effort where it's most needed - with youth bands, lower section bands, and with band associations. He writes the pieces he's asked to write, and he's got a strong talent for supplying commissioning people with exactly what they want. A super musician, and a very humble chap who's had some disgraceful abuse from bandspeople in the past for no good reason on similar subjects.

What Moomin said :)

He is indeed a top bloke and a superb musician

Ianroberts

Not for one minute am I slating the composer. Its the people that pick the pieces I am so annoyed with. It clearly states on the sales literature it is a "Beginners band / youth band piece.

As I've said, they do'nt care one iota about lower section banding

Euphonium Lite

With regards to the 4th section piece this year, apparently there are 2 versions – there is a “lite” version aimed at Youth bands, and a fuller version.

I’d echo the other comments about Alan Fernie – one of my abiding memories of the bloke was watching him judge the youth sections at Butlins, not just judging but actively encouraging them and giving standing ovations especially for soloists – the adjudication was in the open.

I’ve also spoken to him in the past and he’s a very knowledgeable down to earth man who would rather build people up than knock them down

With regards to the choice, I’d agree its not the most technically demanding of pieces, and some of the better players will find it perhaps a little boring – funnily enough a similar accusation has been made about Pageantry by some top section players.

However it is still there to be played, and having heard several poor renditions of the last Fernie piece selected (Spanish Impressions) I can guarantee that there will be bands that struggle with it.
If your band is good enough to get the basics right most of the time you have a good chance of qualifying and perhaps promotion – but there are not many bands in the 4th that can do this on a consistent basis

Kiz7

If the fourth section piece is so rubbish, why not take a year off? Pick a fun contest somewhere else and spend money on that instead.
Because then the band will be stuck in that section for another three or four years if they are from the West of England - maximum points will be around 28!

Euphonium Lite

Because then the band will be stuck in that section for another three or four years if they are from the West of England - maximum points will be around 28!

I guess then you have to look at the contest as a means to an end. Whilst you may not enjoy the testpiece, if you're pushing for promotion its got to be done.
The other thing to consider is that it may well be more of a challenge than you first thought.....

Note your comments about 2015 - for us English Pastorale was great as we qualified, and we quite enjoyed Visions too, although I'd suggest it was ridiculously hard for 4th section level (the piece was written for Briton Ferry band when they were in Section 2). I did a couple of concerts depping for a couple of bands that played Phileas Fogg as a concert item - I quite liked it personally, quite good fun although English Pastorale was "nicer" certainly in terms of being listenable-to.

In terms of challenges, the S3 piece this year doesn't sound too difficult either, although its Cory on the recording and they make everything sound easy. I'm sure there will be pitfalls to watch out for although there appears to be a ridiculous standard gap from Darkwood to Rhapsody for Brass in terms of technical requirement - as opposed to last year where I found Mermaid of Zennor easier to play than Cambrian Suite.......

Euphonium Lite

Not for one minute am I slating the composer. Its the people that pick the pieces I am so annoyed with. It clearly states on the sales literature it is a "Beginners band / youth band piece.

As I've said, they do'nt care one iota about lower section banding

Ian - are you looking at this one : ST. ANDREW'S VARIATIONS - Parts & Score - Just Music - Brass Band Music and CDs

As opposed to this one : ( 04 ) St. ANDREW'S VARIATIONS - Score & Parts - Just Music - Brass Band Music and CDs

I think one is a simplified version of the other - I think (at the other end of the spectrum) there was a similar thing done with Year of the Dragon?

I reckon that there will be plenty of bands struggle with even this come March - the quality should (in theory) rise to the top - if you can do the basics well