2017 Regional Test Piece Rumours

smaca

I think last few years people have been spot on and all sections confirmed by "those in the know" before official announcement. Just seems that this year is a bit of a struggle for whatever reason.

bassmittens

Youre 100% on Darkwood for S3 Lindon? Seems an odd choice if so.....although not totally surprised theres a Dan Price testpiece included if so......

From what I understand, my S4 prediction earlier on was pretty good too :)
Also just heard it may be Rhapsody in Brass for S2!?!....anyone else heard this one?

smaca

So, this year we have;

Championship : Pageantry
First Secton : Land of the Long White Cloud
Second Section : Rhapsody in Brass
Third Section : Darkwood
Fourth Section : St Andrews Variations

I wonder what % will be right this year.

Euphonium Lite

What I want to know is how do those "In the Know" know? (if that makes sense). You'd have thought if there was a member of the music panel that couldn't keep their mouth shut they'd have been kicked off by now....?
Just being nosey.....

Kiz7

So, this year we have;

Championship : Pageantry
First Secton : Land of the Long White Cloud
Second Section : Rhapsody in Brass
Third Section : Darkwood
Fourth Section : St Andrews Variations

I wonder what % will be right this year.

I think it will be very lazy and disappointing to use yet another Alan Fernie work for the fourth section when there are so many good composers around who write just as well (if not more so) for this level. That would be three out of the last four years that Alan Fernie pieces have been used. St Andrew's Variations is yet another pastchye piece - why do fourth section bands have to be subjected to these pieces year after year? Think I'll take a year off it's another Fernie piece

MoominDave

is that the 1942 Dean Goffin piece?

Do I need to borrow your G/D Bass Trom Moomin?

You're welcome to if you want... It isn't a stunningly featuresome bass bone part I'm afraid, great music though it is - one of my favourites for brass band.

Anno Draconis

is that the 1942 Dean Goffin piece?

Yep. Cue lots of comments about how "it's a classic" and "it'll take some playing" and "bands these days can't play good music like this", and lots of dewy-eyed reminiscing about playing it at the Josiah Scroggins Tobacco and Opiate Products Invitational Open at Batley under the baton of {insert famous post-war conductor}, back when we had a proper band with none of these new-fangled low pitch instruments, percussionists and women...

Sorry, I've got my cynical head on today, I'll go back in my box now.

MoominDave

What I want to know is how do those "In the Know" know? (if that makes sense). You'd have thought if there was a member of the music panel that couldn't keep their mouth shut they'd have been kicked off by now....?
Just being nosey.....

I guess it isn't a "loose lips sink ships" severity of a situation...

Euphonium Lite

I think it will be very lazy and disappointing to use yet another Alan Fernie work for the fourth section when there are so many good composers around who write just as well (if not more so) for this level. That would be three out of the last four years that Alan Fernie pieces have been used. St Andrew's Variations is yet another pastchye piece - why do fourth section bands have to be subjected to these pieces year after year? Think I'll take a year off it's another Fernie piece
"Another Alan Fernie work"? Of the last 4 years in which you quote there has only been 1 area piece, which was Spanish Impressions which was the S4 piece in 2014. And that's in any section. Appreciate that I haven't included some of the regional contests in that but that's not in the control of the Kapitol music panel.
I agree he's not the best writer out there - but he's not the worst and he does know how to write for the lower sections. S4 especially is likely to have bands with limited percussion and not every seat filled and his pieces DO work with smaller bands. The main challenge in that level is to play together and in tune - which is why you perhaps have so many pieces that concentrate on that rather than how many demi-hemi-demi-semiquaver notes can you fit in a bar

MoominDave

A rare moment of disagreement. I'm not a fan.

Gadzooks, you scoundrel, sir.

It ticks boxes for both heart and brain for me - well structured small-scale symphonic counterpoint (I do love a bit of polyphonic writing...) that's pitched well to prod some basic emotions too - particularly the rip-roaring last movement.

Absolutely knocks into a cocked hat a lot of the other writing from around it historically. IMO, of course.