2015 National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain

Here we go again. Another Nationals weekend upon us. All the best to the competing bands - especially my home village band, Deiniolen, who'll be competing tomorrow in Section 2.

Here are the bands:

Section 1

City of Cardiff (Melingriffith) (Nigel Seaman) - (Wales)
Freckleton (Paul Dalton) - (North West)
Fulham (John Ward) - (London & Southern Counties)
Goodwick (Matthew Jenkins) - (Wales)
Gresley Colliery (Simon Jones) - (Midlands)
Haverhill (Mark Ager) - (London & Southern Counties)
Jackfield Elcock Reisen (Simon Platford) - (Midlands)
Kirkbymoorside Town (John Woodward) - (North of England)
Newtongrange Silver (Lee Skipsey) - (Scotland)
Roberts Bakery (Simon Stonehouse) - (North West)
Roche Brass (Tom Davoren) - (West of England)
Shirley Band (David Bishop-Rowe) - (Midlands)
Strata Brass (Derek Renshaw) - (Yorkshire)
Unison Kinneil (Craig Anderson) - (Scotland)
Unite the Union (City of Sheffield) (David Hirst) - (Yorkshire)
Westoe (Huw Thomas) - (North of England)
Yeovil Town (David Hayward) - (West of England)

Section 2

A W Parker (Drybrook) (Joshua Ruck) - (West of England)
Carlton Brass (Paul Watson) - (Midlands)
Chapeltown (Andrew Dennis) - (Yorkshire)
Colchester Band (David Maddocks) - (London & Southern Counties)
Croy Silver (Kenneth Blackwood) - (Scotland)
Deiniolen (Lois Eifion Jones) - (Wales)
Ebbw Valley (Gareth Ritter) - (Wales)
Eccles Borough (Mareika Gray) - (North West)
Jedforest Instrumental (Phil Rosier) - (Scotland)
Lockwood Brass (John Roberts) - (North of England)
NASUWT Concert (Andrew Hunter) - (North of England)
Old Silkstone (Sam Fisher) - (Yorkshire)
Rushden Town (Adele Hudson) - (Midlands)
Tyldesley (Robert Taylor) - (North West)
Wotton under Edge & District (Ian Dickinson) - (West of England)
Yiewsley & West Drayton (Christopher Cole) - (London & Southern Counties)

Section 3

BAE Systems (Jonathan Crowhurst) - (London & Southern Counties)
Boarshurst Silver (James Garlick) - (North West)
Camborne Junior Contesting (Alan Pope) - (West of England)
Cold Ash Brass (Jemma Evans) - (London & Southern Counties)
Dunston Silver Band (Aidan Hodgson) - (North of England)
Foss Dyke (Simon Oates) - (Midlands)
Horbury Victoria (Duncan Beckley) - (Yorkshire)
Houghton Brass (Tom Gibson) - (North of England)
Hucknall & Linby MC Brass (Paul Whyley) - (Midlands)
Ifton Colliery (Wayne Ruston) - (Midlands)
Irvine & Dreghorn (Helen Douthwaite) - (Scotland)
Littleborough Public (Adrian Woodhead) - (North West)
Old Hall Brass (John North) - (North West)
Renfrew Burgh (Mark Good) - (Scotland)
Rhyl Silver (Keith Jones) - (Wales)
Slaithwaite (Rob Westacott) - (Yorkshire)
Soundhouse Brass (Steve Sykes) - (West of England)
Thomas Coaches Mid Rhondda (Alan Gibbs) - (Wales)

Section 4

Abertillery Youth & District (Joshua Ruck) - (Wales)
BD1 Brass (Lee Skipsey) - (Yorkshire)
Bearpark & Esh Colliery (Tim Oldroyd) - (North of England)
Castleton Brass (Peter Ryan) - (London & Southern Counties)
City of Norwich (Andy Craze) - (London & Southern Counties)
Cubbington Silver (Mark Philips) - (Midlands)
East Coast Brass (Paul Speed) - (London & Southern Counties)
Formby (Louise Hough) - (North West)
Knaresborough Silver (Steve Morland) - (North of England)
MacTaggart Scott Loanhead (Kenny Letham) - (Scotland)
Oughtibridge (Gavin Somerset) - (Yorkshire)
Pleasley Colliery Welfare (Geoff Benson) - (Midlands)
Pillowell Silver (Ian Whitburn) - (West of England)
Porthleven Town (Tom Bassett) - (West of England)
Porthywaen Silver (Dougie Graham) - (Midlands)
Skelmersdale Prize (Karl Stott) - (North West)
Totnes (Alan Wilmott) - (West of England)
Usk (Jeff Jones) - (Wales)
Whitburn Heartlands (Robert Fraser) - (Scotland)

James Yelland

I notice that Brass Band World carries advice from the adjudicators of each section on how bands should approach their respective pieces, and in the case of the First Section, to make sure they are playing the most recent revision of Hesketh's piece. As all this advice was only published four days before the event, several weeks after bands have been grafting away on their performance, it seems rather pointless.

There must be something in Welsh water - what a great day two 1st and a 3rd! Congratulations Usk Brass, Deiniolen and Ebbw Valley.

John Brooks

No comments that I can find about the contest at RAH last weekend. Does that mean they are being posted elsewhere (Facebook etc.) or people that were there had nothing to say. Personally, I couldn't be there but read all the comments on 4BarsRest. They got Cory right but it appeared to me that some performances that they didn't think were so good were viewed favourably by the adjudicators (eg: Camborne) and others that they thought more highly of (incl. Dyke and Fodens etc.) obviously didn't resonate in the box. I know it's all subjective but it appeared to me that there was a bigger difference than in previous years. Any thoughts?

PeterBale

Staff member
There seemed to be a concensus that, after Cory and Brighouse, many bands were very close, and that it would be largely a matter of personal preference. I had thought that Alan Withington's more orchestral view may have been placed higher, and also Grimethorpe, but Dyke didn't quite do it for me this time. Very pleased to see Zone One just outside the frame, as I liked Richard Ward's reading.

Accidental

Supporting Member
its ALWAYS a matter of personal preference, due to the fact that adjudicators have absolutely no rules to adhere to.
Maybe no "rules" per se, but they do have everything written on the score and experience/training/AoBBa guidelines......

but at the end of the day, judging music is always going to be subjective and I for one wouldn't have it any other way - its the nature of the beast

Rob

There seemed to be a concensus that, after Cory and Brighouse, many bands were very close, and that it would be largely a matter of personal preference. I had thought that Alan Withington's more orchestral view may have been placed higher, and also Grimethorpe, but Dyke didn't quite do it for me this time. Very pleased to see Zone One just outside the frame, as I liked Richard Ward's reading.

I didn't hear Fodens and haven't heard the recording of their performance, which many people said was great! Interested to hear how their reading of this particular piece was more orchestral than the other bands there?

JimboFB

Im always intrigued to hear people state 'orchestral' in regards to style or sound... make me laugh honestly. When people say 'ooh, theyve got an orchestral sound' or 'thats an orchestral reading'. I've heard some pretty terrible orchestras in my time. Why cant anyone just say, that was a blimming good BAND reading, or it was a fantastic BAND sound. Wonder how many orchestra or other genre performances are compared in this manner. I can just imagine the LSO in concert being described as having 'a real brass band sound', or giving 'a proper brass band reading' of an overture. Ridiculous really. Especially in this instance when its an original work?!?!?!?!?

My own observations is that the hall was relatively well packed for the whole day. My friends who heard most performances each and between them i think every one, said that they thought there wasnt one duff performance between them and someone coming last was going to be really unlucky as they would still think they'd played well. Even more interesting when you consider the relative difficulty of the piece, although it was a real pleasure to rehearse and play and seemed to be a good piece to listen to many times (not like the Swan Lake effort).

All in all, seems like there was 1 definite winner, probably about 6 bands all tied 2nd/3rd, then everyone else more or less tied for 7th/8th.

Wonder if there is any merit in regrading the results in future so you could have a tie in certain positions? Would it give a more realistic result?

Slider1

Im always intrigued to hear people state 'orchestral' in regards to style or sound... make me laugh honestly. When people say 'ooh, theyve got an orchestral sound' or 'thats an orchestral reading'. I've heard some pretty terrible orchestras in my time. Why cant anyone just say, that was a blimming good BAND reading, or it was a fantastic BAND sound. Wonder how many orchestra or other genre performances are compared in this manner. I can just imagine the LSO in concert being described as having 'a real brass band sound', or giving 'a proper brass band reading' of an overture. Ridiculous really. Especially in this instance when its an original work?!?!?!?!?

My own observations is that the hall was relatively well packed for the whole day. My friends who heard most performances each and between them i think every one, said that they thought there wasnt one duff performance between them and someone coming last was going to be really unlucky as they would still think they'd played well. Even more interesting when you consider the relative difficulty of the piece, although it was a real pleasure to rehearse and play and seemed to be a good piece to listen to many times (not like the Swan Lake effort).

All in all, seems like there was 1 definite winner, probably about 6 bands all tied 2nd/3rd, then everyone else more or less tied for 7th/8th.

Wonder if there is any merit in regrading the results in future so you could have a tie in certain positions? Would it give a more realistic result?

Having sat there and heard all the Bands I agree there was no BAD performances, I had Brighouse in front But Cory had a good sound probably because they played the loudest, for me Fairy's Sop was best soloist but for the odd production
slip they were all excellent. The piece was the let down, to long and tedious in places inducing sleep almost. At this level you need a piece that must test the Bands and the players, and in my opinion when we have the best Bands in the world,
not a five year old European Championship test piece. Then the Adjudicators might be able to Adjudicate, there words not mine. But it was a good but overlong Day

Accidental

Supporting Member
At this level you need a piece that must test the Bands and the players
Apologies if I've misinterpreted, but you seem to be saying that Spiriti wasn't testing? o_O

Its one of the most difficult pieces I've ever had to play - and tbh I believe even a supposedly simple piece would still test the bands on that day, on that stage, well enough to give the adjudicators enough to choose between them.

casanova

The piece was the let down, to long and tedious in places inducing sleep almost. At this level you need a piece that must test the Bands and the players, and in my opinion when we have the best Bands in the world, not a five year old European Championship test piece.

You dont think Spiriti was a tough enough test piece? You need to think again.

JimboFB

Maybe it was because there were more or less 100% good performances so gave the impression that it was easier than it was. Must have been the players getting inspired by the occasion/event. Either way, the piece WAS rock hard, like most things, some parts were easier than others but certainly as far as the trombone parts, there were genuine challenges to the parts in terms of the physicals of getting round the notes as well as the challenges of working out where you fit in to this unusual format of piece. Certainly didnt hear anyone else mention it was sleep inducing...

The other thing that never ceases to amaze me is how different if sounds/feels when you are on that specific stage. It really is quite surreal. Amazing but very different to anything you will experience elsewhere.

My other thoughts were as to how differently the perfomances sound from different seats in this specific venue. From the feedback at Symphony hall for example, it appears you get a fairly consistent sound/feel regardless of where you are sitting, i'm not sure that can be said of the albert hall.

John Brooks

Some very interesting perspectives; thanks for these. I'm going to spend time this weekend listening to each of the performances.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
It's an odd hall both to play and record in.

Personally I was tossing a coin between Cory and Brighouse...but eventually decided on that order.

I was surprised a little by the Foden's result, but only heard up to band 16...

I was sat parallel to the box, though, and with a lot of performances the detail was difficult to discern...not a job I'd want in there!

Slider1

Maybe it was because there were more or less 100% good performances so gave the impression that it was easier than it was. Must have been the players getting inspired by the occasion/event. Either way, the piece WAS rock hard, like most things, some parts were easier than others but certainly as far as the trombone parts, there were genuine challenges to the parts in terms of the physicals of getting round the notes as well as the challenges of working out where you fit in to this unusual format of piece. Certainly didnt hear anyone else mention it was sleep inducing...

The other thing that never ceases to amaze me is how different if sounds/feels when you are on that specific stage. It really is quite surreal. Amazing but very different to anything you will experience elsewhere.

My other thoughts were as to how differently the perfomances sound from different seats in this specific venue. From the feedback at Symphony hall for example, it appears you get a fairly consistent sound/feel regardless of where you are sitting, i'm not sure that can be said of the albert hall.

I'll give you that, my point was it didn't separate the bands enough. Perhaps the atmosphere and the time it took for bands and mutes to come on & off induced the tiredness and perhaps I was expecting more from the likes
Dyke and Grimethorpe. the thing about sound could well be right as I was sitting less than twenty feet from where you sat
sorry if I upset anyone but it was quoted in "my opinion"