2015 Area piece rumours??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianroberts

Curious to see what the 4th section rumours might be this year??

Probably yet another piece that will drain any if not all enthusiasm from the younger members and put them off banding for life. Still, these people that choose the pieces know what's best eh ? :-?

gluestick

Heard a rumour it likely to be Revelations. ...
Hot off the Press! This has been confirmed today.

Championship: Blaenwern - No 7 in the Red Hymn Book, to prove you can play something quiet, slow and in tune.
1st Section: Own choice, no matter what you play you will never last in the top section!
2nd Section: Overture "Raymond" arr J. Ord Hume. Got a nice tune and some hard bits. Also its probably out of print so don't bother and save yourself the time and waste of money.
3rd Section: Life Divine.
4th: Pineapple Poll.It will give the audience of 1 a good laugh

iancwilx

You know, I think that the 1st Section piece every year should be a previously recently used Championship Section test piece. After all, these bands have aspirations to play in the higher section and the Area piece should reflect this challenge.
Just my twopennyworth.

~ Mr Wilx

Bayerd

You know, I think that the 1st Section piece every year should be a previously recently used Championship Section test piece. After all, these bands have aspirations to play in the higher section and the Area piece should reflect this challenge.
Just my twopennyworth.

~ Mr Wilx

Really? Isn't that a bit like saying 'all bands have aspirations of playing in the top section'? There may be some that haven't. I know I've played in a 1st section band in the past that at the time had no desire to be in the top section.

The vast majority of 1st section bands are there because they aren't of sufficient quality to be in the top section either. Mind you, that can be said for the bottom half of the top section too...

2nd tenor

Just my twopennyworth.

~ Mr Wilx

That kind of makes sense, well at first anyway.

If 1st aspire to be championship section then do not all other bands below them aspire to be in the section above (their current one)? So if you play the test piece from a section above will you not end up with championship section test pieces cascading, after many years , down to the 4th section?

Is there also a belief that every band actually aspires to promotion? That would seem a foolish aspiration to me in that the many and varied costs of being in a higher section might well be more than particular bands, and their supporters, could sustain. Isn't it best to play at the best level you and your band mates enjoy and can sustain rather than seek 'glory'?

stevetrom

If a band has no aspirations to move up the sections why is it competing?

Surely that's the whole point, if you don't like competing that's fine don't compete.

Test pieces in ALL sections should be aimed at the top end of that section, or even the lower end of the section above. That way the bands best able to cope at a higher level well be promoted and those who can't will be relegated.

Isn't that what competition is about

Anno Draconis

Er, because they quite like it? I could name a couple of 1st section bands near me that, were they to really put the hammer down, could easily be in the top flight in a year or two. They don't put the hammer down because many of them have been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and don't want to be out every night for a fortnight before the area note-bashing Devil, or St Magnus, or Harmony Music. They're happy with the level the band is playing at, enjoy going to the odd contest and working hard - up to a point - to get a reasonable result. But they don't want to be fighting it out for the scraps from the Fodens/Faireys/Leyland/Dyke/Grimey/B&R table and scrapping it out in the Shield every year. They're not alone in that.

It's quite possible to enjoy the adrenaline of contesting, the social aspect of the day, the joy of a win, etc., while still knowing what your limits are as a player and/or band and being quite happy to stay within them. It's also quite rare in my experience to get a full band of people who have the ambition to go absolutely as far as they can get through the sections, and generally when you do find a band of such individuals they're either already in the top flight or they're on their way up (for example, Oldham Lees seems to be one of those kind of bands). It's more usual to find a range of ambitions within any given band from "I hate contesting" to "why don't we do 8 contests a year and push for promotion".

2nd tenor

Surely that's the whole point, if you don't like competing that's fine don't compete.

Test pieces in ALL sections should be aimed at the top end of that section, or even the lower end of the section above. That way the bands best able to cope at a higher level well be promoted and those who can't will be relegated.

Someone has already given you an excellent reply :clap:, great common sense - which these days seems to be not common at all :(.

Let me give you another example of playing for pleasure through competion. One of my local sports clubs runs several adult teams (playing the same game) plus an under 16's only team. The top team is full of young bucks (say 18 -25 year olds) eager to play in the next division up, the next team down has mostly very skilled older players (inc some ex-young bucks) and a few older teenagers who are good for chasing down balls, etc, whilst the older guys enjoy and think about the play. The old guys are competing but are doing it both for the pleasure of playing and the social side of sport, they like to win their games but don't particularly want to win the league and might even quietly throw a game (!) to avoid that if playing in the higher league could have then doing 30 plus mile trips for away matches.

JimboFB

Just my twopennyworth.

~ Mr Wilx

I think this could and should apply to the national finals pieces for the lower sections. They by default are often moving up a section so should be given a chance to play something more challenging.

Bass Trumpet

many first section bands could give a convincing performance of it [Torchbearer]

Even us ;)

Don't want any more pastiche pieces. At least Revelation and Spiriti are honest and sincere pieces of music. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Torchbearer, but let's try and move forward, not backwards. The bands don't just want a technical challenge, they want a musical and intellectual one too.

The traditionalists can shoot me down in flames starting.....wait for it.....NOW :D

iancwilx

Exactly !

~ Mr Wilx

iancwilx

I think this could and should apply to the national finals pieces for the lower sections. They by default are often moving up a section so should be given a chance to play something more challenging.

That's a good solid logical argument ~ I agree.

~ Mr Wilx

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

Status
Not open for further replies.