2015 Area piece rumours??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nd tenor

..... Do the people who select this stuff realize that there are a lot of people in lower section bands who have played in championship bands, and that many of the remainder are intelligent folk who are quite capable of learning something with a little more structure than the usual rubbish which generally appears from novice composers an Nationals time? ..... CIAO,
CORLEONE.
I have been lucky enough to visit many fouth section and non-contesting bands locally to me :). In my experience it is definately the case that those bands do hold players who have competed at much higher and championship levels. Players have their reasons for stepping down the sections - typically they are looking for an easier life due to: advancing age, family pressures or employment reasons - and other players are in more than one band and the sections differ - not sure how that works within contesting rules.

So want something old, "with tunes", well that's nice for you but maybe some other payers wide like something a bit mordant modern with rhythms and discords?

your post implies that anyone younger than Eric Ball is a novice, a Simon Dobson? Peter Graham? Etc etc

I would like to start an appeal for no 'yellow' music at the areas, just my opinion
No offence to the revered Peter Graham, but he's not young. Have you seen him recently? I have! Anyway HOMER, I imply nothing and what you think I imply is simply something going on in your head. Hmmmm ! trombone player eh? and 'Bull' trombone at that! It's Friday and I'm feeling charitable HOMER,or an offer you can't refuse just might be heading your way wrapped in 'YELLOW' music. Sleep well tonight my friend tomorrow you may sleep with the fishes! (unless of course you are attending the open-in which case I might present to you my personal calling card.
CIAO,
CORLEONE.

st magnus

No offence to the revered Peter Graham, but he's not young. Have you seen him recently? I have! Anyway HOMER, I imply nothing and what you think I imply is simply something going on in your head. Hmmmm ! trombone player eh? and 'Bull' trombone at that! It's Friday and I'm feeling charitable HOMER,or an offer you can't refuse just might be heading your way wrapped in 'YELLOW' music. Sleep well tonight my friend tomorrow you may sleep with the fishes! (unless of course you are attending the open-in which case I might present to you my personal calling card.
CIAO,
CORLEONE.
im going with the torchbearer by peter graham on a theme by eric ball for championship!

pedaller

I have to point out that my good friend the godfather was indicating that all the modern bells and whistles merely mask the fact that many bands in ALL sections cannot play lyrically and in tune. I don't think he disparaged modern composers per se, merely the degeneration towards pages of black fly s@#t at the expense of real heartfelt music which stirs the soul and tests the lips and stamina. I think we are moving towards a time when quality is measured in terms of volume and speed, rather than real music making which can reach your inner soul. See Sandy Smith's recent posts, and have a listen to some recordings he plays on to see what I'm talking about. And by the way, I DO like a lot of "modern" music, but let's try to get away from blast and bluster !

pedaller

And whilst I'm on my soapbox I should point out that mello is one of the most highly regarded and respected soloists in band history, holding a principal chair in the National Champion Band of Great Britain at 15 years old ! A band highly respected for style AND technique, which championed numerous modern compositions. If his ears are offended by some of the noises being made, I think he knows what he's talking about.

Gazabone

I think that for most bands, the area is the most important contest of the year (even if they qualify for the finals) simply because the results dictate what section you will be in the future and (perhaps mainly the higher section bands) a relegation can lead to losing players, in extreme cases, so many of the most competent players leave that the band either folds or has to virtually start from scratch. I've seen it happen a few times in my own county.

With this in mind, it is so important that the playing field is as level as possible and a helpful element to that, in my opinion, is to minimise the chances that adjudicators have preconceived ideas on interpretation (hence preferring newer material rather than the yellowed paper material). That way, adjudicators are forced into adjudicating on the quality of the band's playing, ie the basics; is the band in tune, is the intonation good, is there a good dynamic range as indicated by the composer, is the tone of the band good through all dynamics, is the balance good, are the band playing together etc etc etc. What I don't we want is an adjudication along the lines of "that's not how we played it at Goongumpas Gasworks Band in 1953".

Tin in helmet now firmly fixed and head back down below the parapet!

GJG

With this in mind, it is so important that the playing field is as level as possible and a helpful element to that, in my opinion, is to minimise the chances that adjudicators have preconceived ideas on interpretation (hence preferring newer material rather than the yellowed paper material). That way, adjudicators are forced into adjudicating on the quality of the band's playing, ie the basics; is the band in tune, is the intonation good, is there a good dynamic range as indicated by the composer, is the tone of the band good through all dynamics, is the balance good, are the band playing together etc etc etc. What I don't we want is an adjudication along the lines of "that's not how we played it at Goongumpas Gasworks Band in 1953".
I understand what you're saying, however I don't even think having new music guards against that with some adjudicators. I've seen too many written comments where the sub-text clearly reads "I wouldn't have done it like that if I had been conducting", and not just on "yellow" music ...

iancwilx

I have to point out that my good friend the godfather was indicating that all the modern bells and whistles merely mask the fact that many bands in ALL sections cannot play lyrically and in tune. I don't think he disparaged modern composers per se, merely the degeneration towards pages of black fly s@#t at the expense of real heartfelt music which stirs the soul and tests the lips and stamina. I think we are moving towards a time when quality is measured in terms of volume and speed, rather than real music making which can reach your inner soul. See Sandy Smith's recent posts, and have a listen to some recordings he plays on to see what I'm talking about. And by the way, I DO like a lot of "modern" music, but let's try to get away from blast and bluster !
My feelings too.

~ Mr Wilx

ploughboy

I'd heard 2015's area pieces Summed up as a 'Peter Graham Fest' - although I'm not sure exactly what this meant! What about 2/3/4 sections - as usual everyone is tied up in what the big boys will be playing, and not the majority of bands in the country!

Lofty Snr

I'd heard 2015's area pieces Summed up as a 'Peter Graham Fest' - although I'm not sure exactly what this meant! What about 2/3/4 sections - as usual everyone is tied up in what the big boys will be playing, and not the majority of bands in the country!
Any ideas what section 2 might get from Mr Graham ? All guesses gratefully received.

Lofty Snr.

bassmittens

I heard somewhere that 3 and 4 were rumoured to be new pieces, and also another rumour that section 4 was to be an Eric Ball piece, but have heard nothing else on either of these since, and nowt on 2nd section at all. Well, not long now before we find out formally anyway ;)

simonium

Given the choices for the second section in recent years, I would expect nothing less than Prisms or Land Of The Long White Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.