2015 Area piece rumours??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neillyboy

As long as it's no harder than st Magnus then I'm all for it.

Quite fancy a barchester suite by Derek bourgeois for third section

But for champs would like a shot at Earthquake! By Jaan de Haan

Stracathro

2015 will be 150th Birthday of the Salvation Army. As a tribute, could they pick reasonable test pieces for each section from the Army repertoire/composers?

stevetrom

2015 will be 150th Birthday of the Salvation Army. As a tribute, could they pick reasonable test pieces for each section from the Army repertoire/composers?
Why?

For many years Salvationists were barred from playing with 'outside' contesting bands and salvation army music was not officially available for any other bands.

Some SA music may be very good but it was (or should) not have be written to be a test piece.

Stracathro

Why?

For many years Salvationists were barred from playing with 'outside' contesting bands and salvation army music was not officially available for any other bands.

Some SA music may be very good but it was (or should) not have be written to be a test piece.
Understood but I did deliberately put SA 'composers' not just 'repertoire'. I agree that music not originally written as a test piece may not be appropriate for (particularly the top section/s) contests in 2014. However, using the above criteria, you could basically pick anything by Ball, Redhead, Downie, Graham, RSA etc etc. However, some works not originally intended as test pieces can be a great test for bands. Also, if it were to be a sort of tribute to the influence of the Army on banding then it would make sense to try to pick pieces that were most inlfuential.

Lets get a great work by a european composer for championship, Sketches from Nowhere, Seid, Chain and thats just 3 of many i could suggest!

JR

Lets get a great work by a european composer for championship, Sketches from Nowhere, Seid, Chain and thats just 3 of many i could suggest!
Agreed - but the problem is likely to be a timing constraint as much as anything (extreme difficulty notwithstanding)

With regard to suitablity of SA pieces dont forget many were scored for 4 troms (occasionally 5) - see On Ratcliff Highway as an example and percussion may be limited - RSA's Seascapes (written for finals in 1988) would be a much better choice

I'd also like to see the Music Panel declare their support for young composers and publish their medium term strategy/criteria etc - some signs that they're moving in the right direction I think, though I wish they would announce the pieces immediately after they choose them

John R

iancwilx

RSA's Seascapes (written for finals in 1988) would be a much better choice
John R
Now that would be a really good choice. A great piece and I wouldn't mind having a go at it again though the passage of time may have dimmed my abilities somewhat !

~ Mr Wilx

Ianroberts

a pound to a pinch of s**t the 4th & probably 3rd section will be the usual mind numbing stuff to rehearse that is more likely to drive people away from the movement rather than attract players.

Bass Trumpet

Have we not just had a Sally Army piece? I've tried to forget about St Magnus but it keeps haunting my deepest, darkest nightmares. Pass the valium...

Happy to have a crack at Revelation, but I fear it might be a safer choice than that. Any chance we could have a piece NOT based on religion?

Last edited:

Chris Hicks

Have we not just had a Sally Army piece? I've tried to forget about St Magnus but it keeps haunting my deepest, darkest nightmares. Pass the valium...

Happy to have a crack at Revelation, but I fear it might be a safer choice than that. Any chance we could have a piece NOT based on religion?
At about 18 minutes long I can't see it being Revelation, although I do love the piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.