2012 City of Sheffield Band Club - Concert Dates and Bands

The 2012 season of the ever popular City of Sheffield Band Club is back on 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Feb 2012. As usual it's held at Niagara Sports and Social Club, Niagara Road, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, S6 1LU. (tel 0114 296 4945) - http://www.sypsportsandsocialclub.co.uk/

Please remember to spread the word, this is a very popular band club and it's FREE to attend (well we would like you all to dig deep for the raffle though!)

City of Sheffield Band Club - 2012

5th Feb - City of Sheffield Band
12th Feb - Oughtibridge Band
19th Feb - Stannington Band
26th Feb - Yorkshire Regional Contest Night
4th Mar - No Concert (Yorksire Area Contest)
11th Mar - Thurlstone Band
18th Mar - Deepcar Band
25th Mar - Hade Edge Band
1st Apr - Knottingley Band
8th Apr - No Concert (Easter Sunday)
15th April - Emley Band
22nd April - South Yorkshire Police Band
29th April - Prize Giving Concert

You can find out more about the band club by visiting http://www.cityofsheffieldbrassband.org.uk and follow the link to the band club.

Just in case you're wondering what the Yorkshire Regional Contest Night is on 26th Feb, this is something we ran last year and was such a massive success we're running it again.

As it's the week before the Yorkshire Area, we invite a band from each section to perform their test piece to the audience (which was packed to the rafters last year!). We have an adjudicator in place to formally judge the bands and give constructive comments on each performance.

The bands already confirmed are:

Championship Section: Hade Edge
1st Section: South Yorkshire Police
2nd Section: To be confirmed
3rd Section: Dronfield
4th Section: Deepcar

Entry is free as usual, but we run the raffle and key to the box to fund the night. I'm not exagerating when I say it was full to the rafters last year. It was a great night and one of the highlights of the season.

Important Update for 2012:

Due to the City of Sheffield's sponsorship by Unite the Union, from the 1st Jan 2012 the band will now be known as the Unite the Union Brass Band. The band club will remain the City of Sheffield Band Club however, and we will continue to run it independently for the local bands and community.

We're delighted to recieve the support of Unite the Union, however the sponsorship only covers a portion of the running costs of the band itself, and does not extend to the band club. This means that the band club will still rely entirely on the revenue raised by the raffle and open the box on each evening.

Robhibberd29

The bands already confirmed are:

2nd Section: To be confirmed

Entry is free as usual, but we run the raffle and key to the box to fund the night. I'm not exagerating when I say it was full to the rafters last year. It was a great night and one of the highlights of the season.

It certainly was a fantastic experience and I'm sure I speak for the whole band when I say that we will be chuffed to bits to be performing the 1st Section test piece to contribute towards what will be, I'm sure, an even better night!

Come on 2nd section bands....get signed up! :)

Bones

It certainly was a fantastic experience and I'm sure I speak for the whole band when I say that we will be chuffed to bits to be performing the 1st Section test piece to contribute towards what will be, I'm sure, an even better night!

Come on 2nd section bands....get signed up! :)

Can I have more than 20 mins notice next time please lol

Ok, final places for the Yorkshire Regional Night on 26th Feb now confirmed:

2nd Section: Barnsley Chronicle

Thanks to Barnsley Chronicle for filling the last place.

This Sunday sees the start of Band Club 2012 with a Concert from the hosts Unite the Union Band under their MD Derek Renshaw. There's a fantastic varied and entertaining programme with some really top class soloists. So it should be a cracking start to what's shaping up to be another brilliant Band Club season.

See you all there

Good fun concert last night by Oughtibridge. Thanks Gavin. And nice to see the audience filling up nicely :)

Very important message!:

Unfortunately we've received a cancellation for next weeks concert (19th Feb). I've desperately spent the last 24 hours trying to replace the concert with either another band or ensemble or scratch band, but time was against me, and I had to announce whether the concert was to go ahead last night at the band club concert. So I'm sorry to say there won't be any concert Sunday 19th Feb.

However, the week after is the massively popular Regional Preview night. Everything's in place, and there are 5 bands and 5 test pieces for you to listen to. So see you on 26th Feb - I'd definitely suggest getting there early to get a good seat, it fills up very quickly!

Yorkshire Preview Night - Tonight (26th Feb 2012) - Start 8pm

4th Section: Deepcar - English Folk Song Suite (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
3rd Section: Dronfield - Olympus (Philip Harper)
2nd Section: Barnsley Chronicle - Cross Patonce (Goff Richards)
1st Section: South Yorkshire Police - Mountain Views (Bertrand Moren)
Championship Section: Hade Edge - The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Derek Bourgeois)

Adjudicator - Sandy Smith (with many thanks to Mike Kilroy for his help)

Entry is free as normal (but please be generous on the raffle and key to the box to help fund the evening and the Band Club).

As usual it's held at Niagara Sports and Social Club, Niagara Road, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, S6 1LU. (tel 0114 296 4945) - http://www.sypsportsandsocialclub.co.uk/

Number1euph

Thanks for organising this event again. Great night. Great to see it so full and all the band members listening.

Thanks

james

Thanks James. Yes, packed out again (even with them extending the room to the other side of the bar!!). Great night, thoroughly enjoyed listening to all 5 bands and pieces. And Sandy did a great job in his remarks at the end.

Good luck to all 5 bands at the area this weekend!!

tubafran

Good luck to all 5 bands at the area this weekend!!

Thanks for the invite Edward, we spent last night's rehearsal working through Sandy's comments (plus a few choice ones from our MD).

It was indeed a great night and I'm certain every band will have taken something away to assist the performances over the weekend.

Next concert this sunday (11th march) is Thurstone Band. They've given a fantasticly entertaining concert every single year, so this is definitely one you shouldn't miss.

Scoobydoo

Come on Ed.... I would have thought you would have reminded people by now that it's Deepcar Band at band club tomorrow (Sunday 18th) - 8.00pm start at Niagara as usual !!
- (And they did miss an entertaining concert by Thurlstone Band last week !!)
;)

bassmittens

Thanks Ed! Glad to hear it went down well :)

It's a privilege, as always to be asked along to the band club - so thanks for having us.

Tonight sees a welcome return for Knottingley brass band. Last time they came here they went away with the soliost prize. And if their area result is anything to go by the band's really building in quality. Should be a great concert.