2009 British Open

brassneck

(re: supergrass) No I smoke it.....................lol.

DJ
:clap: or should it be :eek: ???

Despite all, it was still a great contest to attend, with the piece being within scope for all to manage and enjoy playing. No-one suggested to me that their band had a bad day.

I've never posted a private message before, but I thought people would be interested in the following message and my reply.

David James
No.... quite frankly I am not interested at all in the message or the reply. You do yourself no favours. I am however as the band contest administrator of the Australian 2009 Nationals most interested in the process and direction Mead is taking with this issue.

PS Thanks Mod!

Last edited:

Jan H

Staff member
As requested by the sender, quotes from a PRIVATE message have been removed from this thread.

No.... quite frankly I am not interested at all in the message or the reply. You do yourself no favours. I am however as the band contest administrator of the Australian 2009 Nationals most interested in the process and direction Mead is taking with this issue.

PS Thanks Mod!
Quite frankly my antipodean friend, I don’t give a fig whether you’re interested or not.

My grievance is that all this detracts from a superb contest, splendidly run, excellently adjudicated, with a fine result you do not have to agree with. If Mr. Mead had waited a couple of weeks to pontificate on the rights and wrongs of adjudicating in this country I would have no quarrel with him.

I sincerely hope that your contest is as well run, and would strongly recommend My Mead to adjudicate at your next nationals.

David James

It went well thanks! It was adjudicated by DAvid King and James Curnow. You sound like a right pain in the .....

Last edited:

SPMPP

As frustrating as poor adjudication can be, there is one thing which gets on my nerves even more....

Armchair adjudicators! Usually average to poor players with little or no top level experience who turn up at Birmingham/London/Bradford etc and give their considered opinion on tmp the next day in such a way as to get one or two backs up. If I was a member of Desford, Hepworth or Fodens (and in fact I am still a registered member of one of those bands!) that had performed at Symphony Hall last weekend, to see comments like these would be more aggravating than getting a bad result from one of the 'official' adjudicators. Yes, I know I know, you pay your money to sit there with your study score pontificating over the finer points of Mahler, and you have a right to your opinion etc etc..... But I think it's pretty patronising to tell Hepworth they were 'very lucky', Fodens that they were 'very disappointing' and that Desford 'did not deserve' their placing. It's easy to criticise from a comfy seat in the stalls.

Comfy seat maybe ...... :biggrin:

Poor to average?
Little or no top level experience? :rolleyes:

You don't know me obviously, but if you did you would know I only speak about what I know and what I have experienced. I'm sorry the truth hurts, maybe that's what the problem is. People tell other bands, out of courtesy, that they played really well when in actual fact they didn't.

We all know that contesting can sometimes be a lottery and we have to accept the bad results along with the good. But these days, poor results can have a major impact on a band, mostly at Championship level. Loss of sponsorship, loss of players etc....

Anyway, roll on the National Championships, where I will be sitting in my comfy chair, pouring over my score, and hopefully the adjudicators will agree with me, me with my poor to average playing and little or no top level experience. ;)

Nijinsky

Comfy seat maybe ...... :biggrin:

Poor to average?
Little or no top level experience? :rolleyes:

You don't know me obviously, but if you did you would know I only speak about what I know and what I have experienced. I'm sorry the truth hurts, maybe that's what the problem is. People tell other bands, out of courtesy, that they played really well when in actual fact they didn't.

We all know that contesting can sometimes be a lottery and we have to accept the bad results along with the good. But these days, poor results can have a major impact on a band, mostly at Championship level. Loss of sponsorship, loss of players etc....

Anyway, roll on the National Championships, where I will be sitting in my comfy chair, pouring over my score, and hopefully the adjudicators will agree with me, me with my poor to average playing and little or no top level experience. ;)
Before you fire back at me, i'm a garbage drummer from Devon who has very little experience above the second section but, SPMPP, if I was a competing player at the National Finals, I wouldn't be able to contain myself knowing that such a big wig was sat in the audience privately judging my performance and then readily criticising bands through the medium of a brass band orientated internet chat room. I'm sure Mark Wilkinson, Richard Marshall and David Thornton are all meeting with one name on their lips, the phantom SPMPP. 'How will he judge us', 'Will our subtle musical nuances be to SPMPP's liking and will they be in the correct taste'.

There really is only you and The Stig left SPMPP.

towse1972

Before you fire back at me, i'm a garbage drummer from Devon who has very little experience above the second section but, SPMPP, if I was a competing player at the National Finals, I wouldn't be able to contain myself knowing that such a big wig was sat in the audience privately judging my performance and then readily criticising bands through the medium of a brass band orientated internet chat room. I'm sure Mark Wilkinson, Richard Marshall and David Thornton are all meeting with one name on their lips, the phantom SPMPP. 'How will he judge us', 'Will our subtle musical nuances be to SPMPP's liking and will they be in the correct taste'.

There really is only you and The Stig left SPMPP.
The best post of the thread!! Quality...:clap: