2005 Masters Becomes International?!

Should Non English Bands Be Invited To Compete?

• Total voters

Highnote

It will be very interesting to see just how many of the top bands take up their invitation. I reckon the organisers have underestimated the feelings in the bands. Theirhigh handed and dictatorial attitude will ensure that very few of them play at Cambridge in 2005.

Brassbones

glen miler said:
Brassbones said:
Having been redlined by the moderator for your last posting I thought you might have more sense than to underline your stupidity.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHO DO YOU PLAY FOR? In the unlikely event that we get an answer to the above I may entertain further drivel, in the meantime I suggest that you crawl back under your anonymous little stone.

I was expressing an opinion as someone who paid to go to Cambridge and paid to watch the contest.

I assumed this forum was for people to express opinions and do not expect everyone to agree with mine. I enjoy the banter on here which is usually more intelligent than the dishing out of insults -"stupidity", "drivel" , "crawl under stones" etc.

Contrary to Sherlock I have no axe to grind with Leyland, in fact prior to the Masters and insults I had a positive view of them having thought they were brilliant in the Areas.

Phil Shatliff, Lancashire

What band I play in is irrelevant as these views represent me NOT them.

There is a crucial difference between opinions and unfounded and insulting accusations, but then you’re probably just very young and naive. Not insulting you there, I’m just "expressing an opinion", and congratulations on dropping your anonymous status. You can now take personal responsibility for your opinions like the big boys do! Oh, and tell Dave Holland to pack in smoking or he'll never master circular breathing :wink:

Apologies for my slightly prickly exterior!

When we turn up at the Area with dep’s there is a failed attempt (including legal action no less!) to get us banned from the finals. When we withdraw from the Masters because we can’t get dep’s the organisers ban us from their contest.

Over at Leyland we are dug in and waiting for the next salvo!!!

Sonor

I have read Mr Biggs and Mr Franklin's statement and have to agree with a lot of the thoughts of many of the threads appearing in support of Leyland.

Having played there for over two years until fairly recently I know that difficulty they have in attracting players due to being one of the big boys but not able to pay mega bucks for players. I did it for nothing travelling to and from Coventry to Wigan.

Knowing the Band as I do I am sure their decision to not attend the Masters as reigning Champions was not taken lightly. However circumstances beyond anyone's control can overtake one's best intentions.

So for the Masters organisers to slam Leyland in their statement is, in my opinion, very mis-judged. I cannot help feel that they were embarased by us winning last year and given the Band's opposition to Non-English bands competing previously, not the only ones I might add, this latest state of affairs has given the organisers the perfect excuse not to involve Leyland Band in any future event.

For myself I am right behind my former bandsman/women at Leyland, particularly so in view of the vendetta that seems to be being waged against them. It only remains for me to say that the general Masters organisation has gone down in my estimation in view of what has happened this year and I will consider my own participation at next years event, if in the position to be eligable to compete.

Sonor

Just read Alan Littlemore's letter on 4bars Rest.

I can only agree with every word he has said. Well said Alan.

BillyWiz

I have heard from three different and unrelated sources that two of the bands who finished in the first five at this years Masters are to turn down their 2005 invitation in protest at the antics of the organisers.

Two down - How many more I wonder?????

Highnote

In the words of the well known song

"You aint seen nothing yet"

I wouldn't be surprised to see eight or nine bands say NO to Messrs Biggs & Franklin.

I am amazed that these gentlemen could possibly think that imposition of what is a totally new format, without any consultation with bands could possibly work.

Believe me - The Masters is in trouble big time!

Brassbones

Sonor said:
For myself I am right behind my former bandsman/women at Leyland, particularly so in view of the vendetta that seems to be being waged against them.

Thanks Bren! Much appreciated! :D

Chris Sanders

Nice to see so many bandsmen from so many bands sticking together to support Leyland at this time, the band have been treated extremely unfairly. As for Mr Allen Littlemore, his comments on 4barsrest were excellent, he has obviously done his research, what cant speak cant lie, Leyland Bands loyalty to The All-England Masters over the years has been tremendous, I feel that the contest organisers have let them down in a big way.

However, thats life, nothing stays the same, and just at the right time, anyone who has read the front page of todays British Bandsman will be pleased to see the announcment 'New English Federation to launch two-tier brass band championships'. If the contest organisers will not support the loyalty of the bands, then why should the bands support the contest organisers? These new announcements from the EFBB seem like a breath of fresh air to banding as a whole, And Im sure they realise that this has come at an ideal time when English bands need them most.

I am sure upon reading the whole of this thread, Mr Philip Biggs and Mr Richard Franklin will be disappointed to read how unpopular their changes are :?:

critic

masters

having read the report on the new efbb ithink many bands who feel resentfull about the masters situation will be very interested in these new developments. Iwish the new organisation well im sure many other people on this site will have there opinions on this news.

It dosn't matter how many people object to it. The contest next year WILL be different and WITHOUT the Leyland band. The decision has been made, and never the less I think it'll still be a good contest.

Humphrey

2ndcornetvertuoso said:
It dosn't matter how many people object to it. The contest next year WILL be different and WITHOUT the Leyland band. The decision has been made, and never the less I think it'll still be a good contest.
One of your bands might get an invite so you could be playing! :lol:

Humphrey said:
2ndcornetvertuoso said:
If next years contest goes successfully then '''I''' shall be the one laughing.

Humphrey

2ndcornetvertuoso said:
Humphrey said:
2ndcornetvertuoso said:
If next years contest goes successfully then '''I''' shall be the one laughing.

The way things are looking you could be the one winning!! :lol: :lol:

Brassbones said:
you’re probably just very young and naive.

Oh, and tell Dave Holland to pack in smoking or he'll never master circular breathing

Flattery etc. I can't remember when either of those adjectives were last used about me.

As to you last points about sensitivity, that is understandable so no apologies are required re prickliness.

Re. Leyland not being invited I think that to make the decision that has been made the organisers had to make that decision alone as it would not have been accepted by the bands involved. As I said previously on this thread, however, they will live or die by their decision and it looks to me as if the Masters is now gasping.

re. Dave H. - I believe he tried giving up but found the odd sly smoke whilst still wearing his nicotine patches far too enjoyable. On this note there are a remarkable number of players who will never be able to circular breathe in our band.

Good luck in the Nationals

Brassbones

glen miler said:
Good luck in the Nationals

Thanks Phil!

I've gone back into my kennel following Allan Littlemore and Gary Westwoods extremely measured and thoughtful contributions on this "issue"! :oops: