2005 Masters Becomes International?!

Should Non English Bands Be Invited To Compete?

• Total voters

johnflugel

The contest will take place of course but I will be interested to see how long the new format lasts. The big key will be whether Faireys, B&R, Grimethorpe, Dyke accept. If they do not, it will be an expensive trip for the European bands to come and not compete the against the very best that the UK has to offer.

Yes, I suppose it will go ahead, but like you say it depends on who accepts as to the standard and prestige of the contest. Since its inception up until this year it has always been one of the highlights of the banding year - shame that this could change.

nickjones

To be honest who care's if YBS and Other bands dont support the new International Masters..nothing new there in lack of support for competitions.

johnflugel

Nothing personal Nick but I think alot of people would care if YBS, Fairey, B&R, Dyke, Grimethorpe don't turn out. My guess is that the audience would be significantly lower and it can hardly be called the 'Masters' when the top English bands don't go.

nickjones

the WMC , European Open , Scottish Open , the Masters , Pontins all competitions who would like the strongest line up to go for there titles...
Let these bands withdraw , there will be bands who will go there anyway
whats new that 5 bands not supporting events..why waste the invite give it to a band who will go and play and try there best..

nickjones

I know you do Aiden...I have Big Gav moaning everytime you have a run up to a competition....what I mean is why waste an invite on a band who will not accept an invite anyway...not taking into account the YBS reasons for turning down the 2005 invite

Aidan

Oberon said:
I don't want to seem cynical, but perhaps YBS' gesture has more to do with freeing up a little breathing space between the European and World Championships than supporting fellow English bands.
Nope, the 'world championships' have not been mentioned within the bandroom.

Aidan

nickjbeaumarisband said:
I know you do Aiden...I have Big Gav moaning everytime you have a run up to a competition....what I mean is why waste an invite on a band who will not accept an invite anyway...not taking into account the YBS reasons for turning down the 2005 invite
yup i agree with that :)
I always thought it was silly to keep inviting Dyke and Grimey every year when they had made their stance pretty clear.

timps

What a sad state of banding this situation has opened our eyes too!!

Why not everone who has had a invite turn up and give it a go, if it is a complete shambles, then you can say 'oh well I told you so', but if it is a complete success, as I think it would be if everyone who is on the invited list turns up, then pat the organisers on the back. I think if that happened it would be one of the best contests ever, what a line up, so Leyland won't be there, which is a shame, but there are other years, why not let some else have a crack at it!!!

I understand that Leyland and their supporters, friends or other people that are trying to fight their cause, are very upset at this but let's just get on with the contest and stop all this bickering.

I for one hope YBS change their minds because from what I heard at the Europeans, they are the band to beat, and are 'Masters' at what they do best, playing and creating fantastic magical music, not getting involved in politics of banding, leave that to the people who so say run the movement!!

Lee Downie
Ex-Percussion Flowers Band

johnflugel

nickjbeaumarisband said:
the WMC , European Open , Scottish Open , the Masters , Pontins all competitions who would like the strongest line up to go for there titles...
Let these bands withdraw , there will be bands who will go there anyway
whats new that 5 bands not supporting events..why waste the invite give it to a band who will go and play and try there best..

Missing the point though: without the best bands going the contest is much less attractive to the average 'bando'. As an contest-goer and now non-masters competing bandsman :wink: I would find a masters without YBS, Faireys etc a much less attractive prospect. Nothing against the terrific bands like Cory, Co-op etc but it would not feel like a true european contests without the very best from every country represented.

nickjones

It hasnt done these competitions any harm....I mean look at pontins..how many " top band " players did you see depping last year...was amazing .
how would you feel John if RTB got an invite to the 2005 Masters International? bet you would be pretty chuffed to enter a European type competition without the expence of going to Lucerne?

I have competed at both Pontins & the Masters - both are fine contests. But, for me without a doubt having the chance to compete against the elite bands for gives the contest something extra, for bandsmen & audience alike.

nickjones

I would rather play in a Competition where is was not held to ransom by 3 or 4 bands who are looking out for there own intrest and not for the benifit of the audience or other bands entering....if you dont want it , fine dont enter , your loss..

johnflugel

This is nothing to do with RTB or how I feel as player. I have already said, as a listener and non competing bandsman, I would much rather go see a contest with the very best bands, than one like Pontins where yes there are very good bands, but not the 'elite'.

Humphrey

nickjbeaumarisband said:
I would rather play in a Competition where is was not held to ransom by 3 or 4 bands who are looking out for there own intrest and not for the benifit of the audience or other bands entering....if you dont want it , fine dont enter , your loss..
Thats very cynical Nick! Don't you think that standing up for a fellow band is a noble undertaking or are your bitter comments fueled by your own self (or perhaps partisan) interests.

johnflugel

nickjbeaumarisband said:

Again Nick, nothing personal but you do keep writing these things :wink:

Can you explain for my benefit as much as anyones, who these 3 or 4 bands are, how they are holding the contest to ransom and exactly how that benefits them?

lynchie

I think part of the problem with this latest bit of debate is that the organisers themselves describe this as a "Major" competition... therefore, putting it in supposedly the same league as the Open, Nationals, etc, so if the a majority of the very best bands don't attend then that casts doubt on the competitions position as a "Major"...

nickjones

Ah you would make a great MP John , very diplomatic answer....not sitting on the fence there... :wink:
just think its pretty small minded to hold a competition to ransom...why shouldnt Rothwell be classed as an elite band , or any of the 2004 entries to the AEMasters...what do these elite bands do for the other bands that enter or the players they take if they are short of a player or two?nothing , at least you will have a reputation with the audiences if you go.....hey John these bands who have built up a world wide reputation with competition wins , dont want to support the very things that have given them success , concert opertunities etc..then fine dont enter maybe it's time they just Give up and leave it to Bandspeople who want to make sure the movement carries on .Maybe they should do what Man Utd and Arsenal do when they enter the League Cup enter a weaker team?????