2004 Open Results

livyarker

well done to all the bands especially the winning ones!

My favourite was dyke closely followed by ybs. but i have to say i found it hard to judge between the 2 as i like montage better than contest music as a piece so i may have been biased.........i'm sure this was similar for the adjudicators???

i didn't manage to listen to any bands after about number 10 (drinking took over) so i couldn't comment on the results as a whole.......however out of the 10 bands i heard i was shocked with the reults of some of the tops bands especially ybs!!! i have to say tho a lot of people were saying in the bar that fodens had played really well!!!!

well done to carlton, thought you played very well especially with having to play in between some of the top bands.

davidsait

I very much enjoyed the new format with three test pieces - it certainly kept me in the hall longer.

I'd like to make my own awards at this point:

The 'celebrity player' award goes to Dalewool for having Lionel Ritchie on cornet.
The 'funky dancing' award goes to James Gourlay
The 'Dr Atkins Diet' award goes to Nick Childs. I honestly had to check my program to see who was on stage!

Didn't make the concert on the Saturday, but went as usual to the one on Sunday which was excellent as always.

Mike S

Kerwintootle said:
Hi,

Just got back from the concert after the Open.

Congrats to Fodens, Cory and of course my old band the 'co.

I am absolutely thrilled to have been a part of the Dyke performance yesterday it is an experience I will never forget.

By the way, in case of any doubt, none of the Dyke players were in the hall for the results as the door people wouldn't let us in so the booing did not come from the players.

Cheers
Alex Kerwin

I was amongst the many who were astounded at the result. Dyke, Fodens and BAYV were a class above the rest but no way should Dyke have gone as low as 6 - definitely a top three place for all who I spoke with!

Buchanan

This was my first visit to the Open and I must admit to being gobsmacked by the quality of playing I heard throughout the day - even the non-fancied bands gave admirable performances.

Can't say I agree wholeheartedly with the adjudicators placings but then we were sitting in the second row from the stage so probably didn't hear the same sounds as the adjudicators did.

Tremendous result for Scottish Co-op and Kirkintilloch - congratulations to both bands.

Looking forward to next year already.

Jim Buchanan
Kinneil Band

Humphrey

Mike S said:
I was amongst the many who were astounded at the result. Dyke, Fodens and BAYV were a class above the rest but no way should Dyke have gone as low as 6 - definitely a top three place for all who I spoke with!

At last!!!!!! Somebody who listened to ALL 19 Bands and is qualified to comment on the results. I was beginning to think everybody had left the hall after band number 12.
I spoke to people before the results who rated NONE of the afore-mentioned bands!(?)
I wonder how much of the booing at Dykes 6th place was by those people who listened to 3 performances all day and spent the rest of the day in the bar?

Notebook

Heard all 19 either live or in the Doyen Van (perks of job) and IMHO Dyke were back to their best with a classy performance. I had Fodens third but not surprised they got first. Cory (will take years to loose that tag) I had lower down due to early ragged playing and early draw.

Had Briggus second so how they came 11 is a mystery - as is YBS 14.

Band knew they hadn't played well but were not as poor as result suggests.

PS Kerwintootle, as well as getting European photos at last, played a blinder.

Humphrey

Notebook said:
Heard all 19 either live or in the Doyen Van (perks of job) and IMHO Dyke were back to their best with a classy performance.
So, you work for Doyen?
I don't see why any of the results should be mystifying. Your criteria were not those of the judges and for those members of our "top" bands complaining about their placings, ask yourselves this: Although you may have lost contests you felt you should have won have you ever won contests which you did not deserve?
I thought not!

Last edited:

Anonymous_user

On behalf of everyone at YBS, we would like to extend our congratulations to everyone at Fodens for their win on Saturday.

Especially pleased for the long-serving members of the band who have waited a long time for an Open win.

Kind regards,

Simon Gresswell
YBS Band Manager

McChambo

Humphrey said:
I don't see why any of the results should be mystifying. Your criteria were not those of the judges and for those members of our "top" bands complaining about their placings, ask yourselves this: Although you may have lost contests you felt you should have won have you ever won contests which you did not deserve?
I thought not!

Erm.....................yes!! Not with my current band I might add (before I'm sacked).

Nadia said:
its contesting.. rough with the smooth et all...

toby hobson

grezzy said:
On behalf of everyone at YBS, we would like to extend our congratulations to everyone at Fodens for their win on Saturday.

Especially pleased for the long-serving members of the band who have waited a long time for an Open win.

Kind regards,

Simon Gresswell
YBS Band Manager
As a reperesentative of the Fodens old gits commitee,id like to thank Mr Gresswell for his kind words! Hope you all put that mad result behind you quickly. If its any help we all know fine well how your feeling we've been there once or twice!!!!!! See you soon, take care.Toby

Notebook

Humphrey said:
So, you work for Doyen?

Eh....NO!! (unless they want any photos..inlays etc..)

They are good friends and because of the nature of the work I do, I have been at events where they have been present and got to know them well.

It just happened that on Saturday I was passing on to them photos I had taken of them at the Euros so heard some bands in the van.

Humphrey said:
and for those members of our "top" bands complaining about their placings, ask yourselves this:
Who was complaining?

Humphrey said:
Although you may have lost contests you felt you should have won have you ever won contests which you did not deserve?
I thought not!
Yes, as recently as last October. :biggrin:

tartanbrass

Open Comments

Just thought I'd make my first post on tMP with a few comments and observations about the contest and the results.

Overall I was with the majority in thinking Dyke had it in the bag. However, Fodens played very well and got the result on the day - something that has not happened that much for them over the last few years at the big contests! Very pleased for Phil as well as I heard it was his swansong - a man that is a true gent, a superb player and who will be greatly missed I'm sure.

Really pleased for the Scottish bands and thought that both of them played well. Whitburn were disappointing for me and I thought the biggest problem was the intonation which at times was awful - something that they are not usually that guilty of. A few too many slips from he band in general got them what they deserved on the day. Disappointed that some elements of the crowd couldn't just be happy for Kirky and the Co-op and went down the road of 'Dyke didn't win, so the whole result is **** and meaningless'!! Sorry folks but that's banding.

No real surprise about the YBS result. I thought it was a poor reading and Mr. King took too many liberties with the piece, and to be honest looked like he had spent longer practising his showboating conducting moves than he had looking at the score.

Anyway, just my thoughts on a great contesting weekend.

Humphrey

mysterydrunkard1 said:
Who was complaining?
Everybody in the bar after the results!!!

Yes, as recently as last October. :biggrin:
I checked your previous posts to see if you had complained about the unfairness of the result. Couldn't find any such post!
Says it all doesn't it!(?)

Humphrey

Notebook said:
Eh....NO!! (unless they want any photos..inlays etc..)

They are good friends and because of the nature of the work I do, I have been at events where they have been present and got to know them well.

It just happened that on Saturday I was passing on to them photos I had taken of them at the Euros so heard some bands in the van.
I ONLY asked..?
Did you think I was implying something? :)

Humphrey

You didn't need to remove mysterydrunkard1's post. I read it anyway and found it unoffensive.
In reply, I've played with the top bands (including Dyke (for a long time)) and I know most of the personnel from most of the top bands. If that makes me a BOC then so be it. I know many bands were disappointed and the "we was robbed" arguement will go on for a few days yet but real bandsmen understand that it doesn't alter the results and just get on with it.
I'm sorry if you intended to offend me and I just hope that you are more succesful in your other pursuits!!! ;)

Notebook

Humphrey said:
I ONLY asked..?
Did you think I was implying something? :)
No I didn't - but I felt I needed to calrify the point in case others felt I did.

It will be intresting to see what the judges thought in their remarks when they're printed.

P.S. I can't remember Humph if you said that you were at the open (apologies if you did).

MoominDave

Humphrey said:
As a prelude to complaining about subjectivity you head your post with a subjective comment (2 in fact). Which aspects do you refer to which can be sensibly compared? Sound? err... Aside from that being a totally subjective judgement, what else is there? Volume? Notes per second? They're measurable so I guess we could be objective there. It's a shame that we can't commision some contemporary Arban to write technical band exercises for competitions. Just to test technique!! Until we reach that Utopia we have to use real music which unfortunately touches us on a more personal level. Our responses are inevitably bound to be subjective. Judging a contest on volume and a soprano cornet split count; that's the usual brass band bull****! I think I prefer the approach of Messrs. Sparke, Ball and Read.
As an afterthought, a splendidly shaped and intelligent performance may need to more closely follow the score which after all is one of the only objective judgements we can make. :)
Yeah, okay, I was trying to have my cake and eat it in my previous post. The comment about YBS's low placing had a measure of disbelief in it that the trained men in the box (who you assert ignored TUBBBS to judge on more subjective grounds) didn't share my subjective musical judgement on their performance to any close degree. I may not have played for Dyke, but my subjective estimation isn't usually so far out! Willingness to downgrade the importance of the occasional splat in the name of superb music-making - it's just as well I'm not an adjudicator, eh...

Less subjective aspects of performance - now you're being a little facetious :D . All aspects are of course on a sliding scale - (when does an uncentred note become a split, say?), but there are some which are more amenable to rating than others. Assuming no-one is going to play any wrong notes (and where would Paul Thomas' pedalling for Desford sit there?) I'd start with tuning/intonation and balance. Just there one could have picked out a lot to criticise on Saturday. One could also consider things such as evenness of tone across instrumental registers - was that Euph high Eb a bit strained? Tone quality? Well, as you say, a bit trickier, but would anyone suggest that, say, an airy sound is a good one? If you take care, there are ways to approach pretty much anything which maximise objectivity and minimise subjectivity.

Reviewing my previous posts, I don't think I judged or said that I judged anything on "volume and a Soprano Cornet split count". Did I?

The more I debate and listen to people debate the point of contests, the less I find meaningful about them; really, I'm finding more and more that the results are of less and less importance to me personally. Arguing over them is part of the game but attempting to rank the different performances in order is almost a Zen activity... Like saying "An apple is greater than an orange". The only sensible way to proceed (artistically, anyway) is to divide the perceptions of them both into a number of categories deemed worth judging on that are also easily comparable (size, shininess, regularity of texture, whatever), and remove as much arbitrariness from your judgement as possible. Or maybe one should embrace the Zennosity of one's activity, and say "I decree: the apple is indeed greater than the orange. No further argument is necessary". Opinion seems fairly split here.

Product tMP members are discussing