2003 European DVD

Anyone else got their hands on this yet? I think it's really good. YBS and Cory are class and the soloists are outstanding.

The DVD thing is the way forward I think, wouldn't it be great if they could do one of these for contests such as the Open, Nationals and Masters too? It's fascinating getting to see it all, really is.

There's a good review of it on 4barsrest somewhere.

Before I go, congrats Whitburn for the excellent result at the Open!

iggmeister

I got it off 4br and had it last thursday. I am quite impressed with it really. The picture is fairly decent- never gonna be hollywood quality though. The sound though is just as goos as CD and it sounds good on my chome cinema system.

Martin Winter is a bit of a star.

As for DVD's I think that the producers have missed the point here. DVDs dont play on normal CD players. What they need to do is make cd's with DVD content. I know that some chart CD's have both normal CD tracks and some DVD content. Why not do a cd which has the winning performance in CD format and also separately as a DVD. Perhaps I'm talking crap but I would gladly buy a CD which I can play as a DVD on my DVD player and also as a CD in my car. I know there would be less tracks per CD but who cares.

Igg

Yep , got my hands on it and yes its really good. I like the way king advertises his new cd!
Still lacks some decent explosions and good acting like any hollywood DVD :lol:

Once criticism - can't say I enjoyed Stavanger band's contribution with all that chanting and dancing round their instruments to be honest...

Moy

Hi Moira... nice pic! Have you changed instrument? :shock:[/quote]

Thought you might notice Rhod...yip was asked to help out at gig end of June and loved it so bought my own....look out Sandy Smith etc ........lol
Seriously though can't believe how much I am enjoying it and it's getting better all the time.

Keppler

Staff member
hellraiser said:
Once criticism - can't say I enjoyed Stavanger band's contribution with all that chanting and dancing round their instruments to be honest...

fair enough... but they can't half play them too..

The Cornet King

I got my hands on mine today. Think its awesome.

The all round playing is phenominal. One question, can anybody hear the bass section of Cory at the beginning of Revelation????

Gavin Saynor(Eb Bass of YBS) went a bit wild after Concerto Grosso didn't he. Mind you he did win the soloists prize and play simply amazingly.
All round its a rather good purchase :D

PeterBale

Staff member
The Cornet King said:
All round its a rather good purchase :D

If it wasn't "all round" it wouldn't fit in the player :wink: :lol: :lol:

One thing that I found fascinating when I got round to watching mine properly was seeing all the glances and signals exchanged by the players, even in the middle of such complex pieces.

Seedhouse

I bought the DVD at the Eric Ball concert, and I think it's really good. Definately the step forward, so keep them coming out World Of Brass please!!!!!

The Cornet King

PeterBale said:
One thing that I found fascinating when I got round to watching mine properly was seeing all the glances and signals exchanged by the players, even in the middle of such complex pieces.

Indeed, the nods and winks that were evident amongst YBS players shows that they appreciate the good soloists in their band just as much as we appreciate them as the audience.
Bob Blackburn on Baritone in Audabe was simply awesome :D

If World of Brass are seeing this, what is the next few DVD's you have planned??

johnflugel

I think it's a very good too - my only criticism is that it would have been good to have had more of the contest performances itself. It's a shame that contest performances represent about a quarter or so of the disc. I would have gone with one disc of contest performances and one of concert/fringe events.

There are loads of items on there that are so familiar and that have been recorded countless times before. e.g Cory soloists: excellent, but how many times have we heard those pieces(?), Le Corsair etc. Instead, we only get half of Willebroeks 'Dove Descending' which was a top performance.

B&R gave 'Masquerade' a whipping (in the words of 4barsrest!), Cory gave what the composer felt to be the closest performance to what he envisaged in 'Aubade' (it would have been great to have YBS & Cory next to each other on the disc), Manger gave a strong performance of 'Harmony Music' (where Allan Withington wore Norwegian National dress, how funny is that?!?!): I feel all the above would have been more appealing than some of the tired gala performances offered.

John

p.s anyone thinking of going to Glasgow 2004? I am up for it, will be a top contest with Cory, YBS & Fairey there, not to mention some of the other top Euro bands.