1st section own choice test pieces!!

Looking for some information from other 1st section bands who have been in the prizes at an own choice contest.
Us at Jackfield Band often do own choice contests but always struggle to choose pieces to play. So I figure if you guys can tell me what you have played at own choices in the past this might assist us in choosing our next piece!! And also where, when and what was your result! Cheers guys
Many thanks
James

Last edited:

stevetrom

Recently we ahve done Ok with

Paganini
Cloudcatcher

We try to find something that will stretch us and that we will enjoy rehearsing/playing - not sure what we are doing this year

nickjones

The Forest of Dean - Derek Bourgeois
Symphony of Marches - Gilbert Vinter
Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden - Gareth Wood
Endeavour - Philip Sparke

Ali

You could try a few of these:
Spectrum
Variations on a ninth
Land of the Long White Cloud
Shine as the Light
Journey into Freedom
Festival Music
Les Preludes (The old version)

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
London Overture - Sparke
James Cook, Circumnavigator - Vinter (in fact most of Vinters pieces)
Downland Suite - Ireland (?)
Ballet for Band - Horovitz (although just used at Butlins)
Dances and Arias - Gregson - before you all jump on my back I have heard this played well by a 1st section band and jimmythesaint did say they wanted a challenge. ;)

Bass Man

We've always done well with Purcell Variations. Diversions on a Bass Theme and Music for the Common Man are also excellent pieces to play.

GJG

We did quite well in the 1st Section at Folkestone a couple of years ago with "California Legend" (Bruce Broughton) - good if you're looking for something a bit different, as well.

Craigsav83

At the Carnagie contest last year, Ch/1st section bands played; Dances and Arias, Land of the long white cloud, un vie de matelot (sp?) and Trittico, and finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively. Diversions on a bass theme all the way for me though! :)

Naomi McFadyen

Essence of Time is a good challenge for 1st section... played it with Blackburn at Preston contest last month... cracking piece.... and I'm sure a good chance of a win if you can pull it off :)

Ali

I forgot to add Golland's Concerto for Band and Vinter's Triumphant Rasberry to my list.

ian perks

Here are a few for you to try:
A Kensinton Concerto(Used for 2003 Nationals)Eric Ball
Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms(Used for Area 2003)Arthur Butterworth
Rhapsoy In Brass:Dean Goffin
Coventry Variations(Used for 2004 Area)Bramwell Tovey
Le Roi D'ys(Larlo arr Frank Wright) 1st Section Bands are quite capable of playing it to a goodish standard.
I would love to see it at this years 1st Section National Finals

PERKS
GRESLEY OLD HALL BAND

you have to be carefull what you pick to play in first section, becuase you have the worry or the adjudicator saying that the piece is too easy for the band (pieces like spectrum, triumphant rhapsody, royal parks, land of the long white cloud, even though they are hard are considered more 2nd section)
The other hand is that you have the worry of the adjudicator saying that the piece is FAR too hard for the band, and theres a case of stretching the band and going too far. Ive heard first section bands attempt pieces like Paganini, variations of an enigma, cloudcatcher and absolutely ruin them!
We have been quite succesfull playing pieces like Tritico (curnow) Pagentry (Howells) London Overture (Sparke) Coventry (Tovey)

cornet.kid

Tallis variations?
Pageantry?
Suite gothique?
i think many of the best have alredy been said...
Has this thread helped you ?

cornet.kid said:
Tallis variations?
Pageantry?
Suite gothique?
i think many of the best have alredy been said...
Has this thread helped you ?

Very much so! considered replying to evryone individually and thanking them but thought I would do it when they slowed down a bit!!!
Many thanks!!
Jimmy

Craigsav83

ScreamingSop said:
you have to be carefull what you pick to play in first section, becuase you have the worry or the adjudicator saying that the piece is too easy for the band (pieces like spectrum, triumphant rhapsody, royal parks, land of the long white cloud, even though they are hard are considered more 2nd section)
The other hand is that you have the worry of the adjudicator saying that the piece is FAR too hard for the band, and theres a case of stretching the band and going too far. Ive heard first section bands attempt pieces like Paganini, variations of an enigma, cloudcatcher and absolutely ruin them!
We have been quite succesfull playing pieces like Tritico (curnow) Pagentry (Howells) London Overture (Sparke) Coventry (Tovey)

Then we have the age old question - do you pick an easier piece that the band can play very well, or a harder piece with more pitfalls? Thats the tricky choice!

Product tMP members are discussing