180 bpm

This may be the first post combining two interests that don't go together often: brass bands and running...

I've just taken up 'barefoot' running and one of its important features is getting a cadence of around 180 footfalls per minute. There are various playlists available of music at that speed to help you stay in the right cadence, but these are entirely clear of brass band music, and I'd love to run to some great brass tunes rather than the pop tunes on the playlists.

So, for those out there with libraries of pieces with metronome markings in their heads (I know you're out there), can you please suggest pieces at/near 180 bpm that might work? (or 90 in a 4/4 or 2/4 would work - but I think I'd trip over my feet if I tried anything in 3/4 or 6/8...)

brassneck

It has to be a galop or similar ... Comedian's Galop (Kabalesky) or the one by Shostakovich, both arranged by Howard Snell and recorded by Fodens.

yoda

or invest in some simple sound editing software which will change the tempo of the music to whatever you want it to be without changing the pitch :) there are some freeware titles that do this too ;)

simonium

A Championship Section test piece that is marked crotchet = 152 currently being used would provide 180bpm, if you listen to some of the recordings about...

Trum

Not sure if there are any recordings about of it - but Trepac really motors, so worth a look.

kiwiinoz

I remember in 1989 watching a military band from Italy running and playing at Earls Court tournament .......... not only were they dressed immaculately, they sounded ok to.......... for a military band !!!!

TrumpetTom

or invest in some simple sound editing software which will change the tempo of the music to whatever you want it to be without changing the pitch :) there are some freeware titles that do this too ;)

audacity, but i would avoid this if possible ;)

Ok that's every Galop I've got loaded onto my ipod... Unfortunately they're all over quite quick and although I don't run far by any means, 2 minutes of comedian's galop only gets me to the end of my road!

Any thoughts on upbeat stuff at 90bpm since 180 is a bit too speedy?