100 Greatest Brass Players. Ever!

1. Lyndon Baglin (the inspiration that actually started my interest in brass playing)
2. Brian Cooling ('cause he was my first Brass teacher and another inspiration)
3. Peter Roberts
4. Nick Hudson
5. Roger Webster
6. Jim Shepherd
7. Derek Garside
8. Sheona White
9. John Clough ('cause I'm a Baritone player)
10. John Gillam (most fantastic BBflat Bass sound I've ever heard)
 
why has wynton not reeched the number 1 spot!

This is the first thread i have replyed to, and i find it a little worrying... it would appear that wynton marsalis has only been mentioned once or twice! Wynton has remained an absolutely breathtaking player - and his CD recording of Carnival or Venice, Napoli and flight of the bumble bee ( to name but three) are amazing. His recording of Carnival of venice for me, far exceeds the interpretations put forward by the likes of Roger Webster.

I can only conclude that the majority of posts have proceeding in listing 'any old brass players' (well not quite), but lets all look that bit further than 'brass bandsmen', as some of the truly great players have made their names outside of brass band, look to Jazz - some of the best brass players to have put mouth to instrument.
 

brassneck

Active Member
One trumpet player I have been waiting to see listed on this thread (and haven't!) is Maurice Andre. An inspiration for most trumpet students a few years back and his recordings are testimony to his skills as a musician! For today, I believe that Sergie Nakariakov is difficult to beat for the same type of lyrical qualities! :D :tup
 

Chris Sanders

Active Member
Richard_Brigg said:
This is the first thread i have replyed to, and i find it a little worrying... it would appear that wynton marsalis has only been mentioned once or twice! Wynton has remained an absolutely breathtaking player - and his CD recording of Carnival or Venice, Napoli and flight of the bumble bee ( to name but three) are amazing. His recording of Carnival of venice for me, far exceeds the interpretations put forward by the likes of Roger Webster.

I can only conclude that the majority of posts have proceeding in listing 'any old brass players' (well not quite), but lets all look that bit further than 'brass bandsmen', as some of the truly great players have made their names outside of brass band, look to Jazz - some of the best brass players to have put mouth to instrument.

Wynton Maralis is without doubt the best Brass Musician ive ever had the privelage of watching... Him and Louis Armstrong are the two best brass musicians ive ever heard of...

However, the question in the opening thread does clearly state to have played in a brass band. If you wanted to start a thread incorporating all brass musicians im sure the results would be different...
 

DublinBass

Supporting Member
BreadOfHeaven said:
Entries close Sunday 1st May and you'll have the list for the Spring Festival Weekend. Cheers and get thinking!

I wonder if any of the players at Blackpool made the list?
 

Hoss

Member
toby hobson said:
I know that this is all about opinions and I totally respect that but COME ON some of the names that have been mentioned wouldn’t make it into the 100 greatest morons list. Do some of the people who submit names actually listen to brass music? Do they know what makes a great brass musician? Maybe people should bear in mind before they submit there list that a player isn’t great simply because you know them or they vomed in you beer at Pontins three years ago!! .

I know its often said that the word genius is banded around to often (especially in football) well maybe the word great is as well.

Well I commend the first sensible voice in this pointless thread..obviously emanating from someone that despite their modesty does know a thing about MUSIC. Those who inhabit bland clubs, read the Blandsman and believe the hype are too indoctrinated and ill educated to proffer any rational opinion.

A top 100 of anything is wholly subjective but the Top 100 Brass Players is too wide a parameter to measure and there have been some startling if not frankly barking suggestions. If the poll was for Top 100 Blanders then there it would have more relevance to the opinions of the greater majority of forum contributors and then their nominations would be time bound based on age and where applicable performing experience (or lack of)

There is a world outside of that group of unpaid purists in the outskirts of Bradford that we are suposed to measure ourselves against and perhaps the bandspersons should open their horizons to the wider world of musical genres and educate themselves so they could at the very least retain some credibility when joining in on the world wide web...

PS The guy that played 3rd Baritone in Chorley Pickleworks Silver Prize was a reet good un....
 

Parp

Member
Hoss said:
Well I commend the first sensible voice in this pointless thread..obviously emanating from someone that despite their modesty does know a thing about MUSIC. Those who inhabit bland clubs, read the Blandsman and believe the hype are too indoctrinated and ill educated to proffer any rational opinion.

A top 100 of anything is wholly subjective but the Top 100 Brass Players is too wide a parameter to measure and there have been some startling if not frankly barking suggestions. If the poll was for Top 100 Blanders then there it would have more relevance to the opinions of the greater majority of forum contributors and then their nominations would be time bound based on age and where applicable performing experience (or lack of)

There is a world outside of that group of unpaid purists in the outskirts of Bradford that we are suposed to measure ourselves against and perhaps the bandspersons should open their horizons to the wider world of musical genres and educate themselves so they could at the very least retain some credibility when joining in on the world wide web...

PS The guy that played 3rd Baritone in Chorley Pickleworks Silver Prize was a reet good un....
It's just a bit of fun. Do you really have to be so dismissive? I'm afraid your post has just made you look awfully bitter about banding, for whatever reason.

Why not sit back, take a deep breath and ignore the thread if it offends you so much? I personally can't wait to see the results and see what a variety of players we'll have on there.
 

groovy

Active Member
Personally I think all it takes to be great is to inspire someone with your music. It could be playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star but if you provoke some kind of emotion or even inspire someone to pick up a brass instrument themselves then I think that is great. Maybe that's why some people in this thread have posted players from their own band or uni or whatever. They may not have the top class technique, style, experience of the legendary brass players of history but they have obviously created enough impression on the poster that they believe them to be "great". Isn't that what it's all about, music in it's simplist form? Music that can make you cry or be immensley happy just because it is music. The players that can make me feel like this are the ones that I would call great, not necessarily the ones that can double or triple tongue incredibly fast or reach "super" F. And of course, that includes brass players from all genres.
 

stevetrom

Well-Known Member
Quote: (Originally Posted on tMP by BreadOfHeaven)
Entries close Sunday 1st May and you'll have the list for the Spring Festival Weekend. Cheers and get thinking!
So where do i find the final list of top 100 ! (maybe i am on it, it would be nice to know :) )
 

GBH

New Member
Parp said:
It's just a bit of fun. Do you really have to be so dismissive? I'm afraid your post has just made you look awfully bitter about banding, for whatever reason.

Why not sit back, take a deep breath and ignore the thread if it offends you so much? I personally can't wait to see the results and see what a variety of players we'll have on there.

I guess theres a couple ways to look at this.

From an optimistic point of view what this list may do is prompt people to go out and listen to or get recordings of some of the artists mentioned in the top 10 and be inspired to emulate those people. This can only be a good thing.

From a pesimistic point of view asking an understandibly partisan and, predominanly, brass band orientated readership to vote for their greatest players, especially while restricting it to brass band related players means you get an extremely narrow and dare I say "sub-par" choice of brass players on the grand scale of things, especially when you start getting into the 50+ range and your Roger Websters/David Thorntons are gone.

I think the point he was trying to make, albeit rather vitriolic in tone, was that on the world stage, brass banding has been and still is a "niché" genre almost exclusively performed and played by amateur musicians. This does not, of course, imply that there are not some exceptionally talented players in the brass band scene as there are some undoubtedly talented people playing. However as a whole I would suggest that the number of exceptional players outside the realms of brass banding to be considerably higher. This is both as a propotion of the total players and in pure numbers due in no small fact to there being a much greater number of people dedicating their whole working and playing life to it. The upshot to this is that a list like this will by defenition not contain most of the best brass players in the world and as such be somewhat hollow.

Of course, if you don't care about anything but brass banding then this list might have some relevance but I think that would be a gross shame as, to be honest, while I love brass banding theres so much more to be discovered outside the movement by musicians that are in a different class altogether to all but the top one or two players in the brass band movement.

Just as a small aside theres the question of judging criteria. Take someone like Arnold Jacob. An exceptionally influential tuba player who succeeded in pushing the boundries of tuba playing forward for his time and is considered one of the best tuba teachers that has ever lived. However, from a puerly technical viewpoint there are any number of players today who can play faster, louder, higher, lower and arguably "better" than he ever did. If you had a blind test side by side with some of the more recent tuba virtuoso players I can guarantee most wouldn't rate him near them. Does that make him a greatest "player" or not? As a pure player, these days there are many better than him however for his influence on the instruments development and prominence few could come near him.

Thanks

Gary
 

Parp

Member
GBH said:
I think the point he was trying to make, albeit rather vitriolic in tone, was that on the world stage, brass banding has been and still is a "niché" genre almost exclusively performed and played by amateur musicians.
I think I objected to his pompous and patronising comments rather than to the points that he was making, some of which were fairly accurate. The top 100 brass players is too wide a field to measure, especially since we don't have any specific criteria that we've been asked to measure it with - but it doesn't make this thread 'pointless' as he labelled it.

I don't think that anyone believes the results will be the final word in 'who are the best brass players' but equally I think the results will make interesting reading - nothing more.

My issue is with the post that 'Hoss' made - he appears to think that he is too good for the banding scene (or the 'blanding' scene as he calls it - I wonder how many hours of thought he took to come up with that) and his remarks about people belonging to the movement being ill-educated and unable to think rationally are quite uncalled for and in most ;) cases hugely inaccurate.

But I must thank him for alerting me to the fact that there are musical genres outside of banding. I'm sure we're all grateful for that nugget of information which he must have recently discovered and now feels compelled to share with us. Maybe I'll go and listen to an orchestra and then post to a brass band forum to tell them that they need to broaden their horizons like me and stop being so ill-educated?

Sorry if I appear a trifle rude but I don't really appreciate some unknown guy (or gal - let's not be sexist!) pouring scorn on a movement that I have a lot of respect for (despite its faults) and telling me that I have to educate myself in different styles of music - especially when he does it in a bizarre pretentious writing style in an attempt to make us believe that he knows what he's talking about.

Rant over! :cool:
 

Keppler

Moderator
Staff member
I believe we'll return to topic at this point folks if you please.
We all know that this is highly subjective, but Martyn is willing (and has) put hard work into compiling the data, so let's at least respect that, even if you don't feel like submitting any to him, eh?

Kepps
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top