Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: theMouthPiece.com Improvements & suggestions ...

you obviously haven't worked with computers for long enough! sorry, don't mean to annoy, but i've seen stranger.
    bibo ergo sum

"Most people leave their bodies to medical science, I'm leaving mine to Le Louvre!"

Hi Tuba_Girl and NeilTwist... and everyone else,

Thanks for your comments re locking certain threads, and please believe me, I do understand your concerns here

As tMP continues to grow, with more hits, more members and many more posts - myself and our Moderators are always keeping a close, keen eye on proceedings here on tMP. I'm sure you both agree that this is indeed the case, and also both understand why we need to do this. Most of the time (in fact 99.9% of the time), it actually goes unoticed that certain threads are temporarily locked whilst we (myself and Mods) discuss the content. We are usually extremely quick in our response (as was the case for those who remember with Uncle_Norbert) as we don't want to attract attention to this or cause any offence to anyone here on tMP. It is for this reason that - up to now - we have not ammended a post whilst it is temporarily locked. We feel that we, as a team, indeed act quickly enough, and simply don't wish to draw attention to the fact that a thread is "under discussion".

I have total faith in all our Moderators, and I back them 100% as you probably have seen. They simply would not lock a thread for 'fun' or for any reason other than based upon my guidellines or policy/pragmatic common sense/experience etc. They wouldn't be Mods if that were the case...

We're all learning our trade as well.... I've not been Site Admin on a www site with so many members/hits before, and perhaps our Mods are in the same situation. But please believe me when I say that we're all here for the benefit of tMP and mean absolutely no offence when we Moderate our forums. Sometimes it is inevitable that I'll make an error or mistake, can I ask that you bare with us as we grow and learn.

I don't think we're doing too bad a job eh!!! I hope this is a satisfactory explanation for how I wish to operate.

If you're still concerned, please contact me directly and we can discuss further. Thanks for your understanding.

John

I understand why some threads need to be made sticky, but is there a way to "unstick" them when they're no longer topical/out of date? On some of the forums (fora?!!!) there's half a page of stickies to wade through before you get to the new stuff and its a tad irritating. Sorry to moan - I think you're fab really!!

Oooo just thought of another one!

Can you add a space for people's (real) names in the profiles so we can search for them rather than wait to see if we recognise them thru postings?

(I know I already mailed you about this John, but I'm still trying to track a couple of peeps down and its starting to bug me! )

how about different forum's depending on what instrument, this way you won't fill up the rehearsal room with loads of instrument related posts?
    Tim Benson MEng CEng MICE

Occasional Trombone - Oughtibridge Band
    @tim_ed

another thing...
    in the msn brass forum.. (the one between delphi and this!)
    people were only admitted to the forum if they supplied their band, contact details and real name.. maybe something along these lines would cut down on malicious and mischevious threads?
    Aidan

tMP Friend in Training
    wheres the MSN Brass website??? Room thingy?

thanks

its not used anymore.
    Aidan

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia
    its not used anymore.
    Essentially because it's fantastically clunky and slow compared to this site. Also, you have to give your email address to MSN, who invariably fail to protect it from spammers, ultimately resulting in the 100+ usually obscene spam emails a day my old home email account used to receive.

Stick with tMP, I would, Ben... No sense in fragmenting the online community!

Dave
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Master Friend
    I don't think you can even access the old msn forum.

I don't know how this would work but i've seen a few forums now with a picture gallery where users can add their own pictures and others can rate them and add comments. I know you can already add pictures into a message but I think this would be much more interesting if you could add galleries of a certain event, tour, concert. I imagine this may be difficult to moderate though as well because there are always people who would spoil it by putting unsuitable pictures up! I know msn had a gallery which was interesting but wasn't very good because you could only post so many pictures before you had to purchase extra space!

Jon, I do have plans to integrate a gallery feature into tMP. It will be a fairly large job, but it is on the radar.

John

tMP Newbie
    hi dunno if this is the right place to ask this but how do you change your member profile thing? new to this site-recommended my cousin and uncle!

alex ramsay

Hi Alex,

Welcome to tMP, good to have you here.

There is a section on the how-to's on the new look tMP that you will find here... you may find some useful posts in there as to how to achieve certain things using the tMP application.

To change your profile you simply need to click on the User CP link at the top of any tMP page. That will take you to your profile wher eyou can change a multitude os personal settings.

Let us know if you still have trouble.

John

tMP Senior Friend Janet Watkins's Avatar
    Would it be possible to indicate when a thread was started?

Then we can tell if it is really old thread being resurrected, or someone with new thoughts on an old topic.

Many thanks for all your good work.

Janet

Hi Janet

When you do your search of 'New POsts' using one of teh pre-built searches I have provided in the links Bar - check the column titled "Replies". If the number is there is zero, or close to zero, then you can safely assume that this is a new thread that you might not have seen before. However, for any individual (who may not have seen the thread at all), there may be many replies to that specific thread between now and their last visit... so caution if you are going to use this method.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast