Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brass Band Arrangements of Pop Songs - Your Opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by DRW View Post
    I don't really know what to say other than I'm really glad that I don't suffer these frustrations and instead enjoy the hobby that I've subscribed to for what it is.
    Our Hobby will be lost for future generations if we continue as we are.

Our Hobby - what it is, is still what it was ... and nowhere near what it could be.

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by its_jon View Post
    Do more music with teeth and you may get some dudes in the venue for a change, with no links to brass bands at all.
    (instead of just friends / family or those who see a brass band as a mini classical outfit in the absence of an orchestra)

Roll out the foot tappers, Bring in the head bangers !
    That's one aim I suppose, but on the day when brass band audiences are full of head-banging dudes, who's going to entertain the foot tappers?

tMP Senior Friend
    Absolute rubbish!

Last Saturday a group from our band were out in Sheffield at Bungalows & Bears when the following piece was being played, an instrumental of Toto's Africas. We all thought it would make a great arrangement for band so I asked the DJ who was playing it, to be told it was a Brass Band (which seemed at odds as we could clearly hear saxs in there) It is however the Hackney Colliery Brass Band and the You Tube video has had over 50,000 viewers. They are only a 9 piece but to some people that's what a brass band sounds like
    Mr Francis Hargate
    EEb Bass - Dronfield Genquip Band
    www.dronfieldband.co.uk

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    It's funny, they chose the name "Hackney Colliery Band" (not the quoted "Hackney Colliery Brass Band") as something of a joke - a tribute to Britain's banding heritage, but at the same time an obviously ridiculous title (not many collieries in Hackney) to show that are 'fun'. But I keep seeing people getting confused about it. The term "brass band" means various different things in various contexts, and they are more in the Dirty Dozen Brass Band mould. We have no patent on the term, strange though it sounds to us to hear something else called that.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

This is the moment when brass bands "jumped the shark":

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1654421602422

(if Facebook works!)
    Last edited by GordonH; 16.08.2012 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by tubafran View Post
    Last Saturday a group from our band were out in Sheffield at Bungalows & Bears when the following piece was being played, an instrumental of Toto's Africas. We all thought it would make a great arrangement for band so I asked the DJ who was playing it, to be told it was a Brass Band (which seemed at odds as we could clearly hear saxs in there) It is however the Hackney Colliery Brass Band and the You Tube video has had over 50,000 viewers. They are only a 9 piece but to some people that's what a brass band sounds like

Absolute Class !

Yes.. its a Brass ensamble... but have caught up with Big Band stylisation.

We would call this a nice bouncy latin number at the Big Band.

Note, the absolute Lack of dynamics ... ACE !!!!

Rock on !

You could play this in your car and not have to dive for the volume button once ! ... Brill !

This IS a GOOD choice for a Rock anrrangement

Lets Ditch the pop ey ?

Originally Posted by its_jon

Quote Originally Posted by DRW View Post
    Absolute rubbish!
    Please explain why

tMP Senior Friend
    Originally Posted by its_jon

Please explain why
    Simple - there is absolutely no evidence of decline in my band. In fact the opposite is true.

If there are bands that are in decline and feel that abandoning non-original music is something that will help save them, then they are at liberty to do this. If they believe that the current brass band image will hold them back, they could consider rebranding and creating a new genre (maybe "Brass for Rocking Dudes"? ). If it proves to be successful, I'm sure there will be great interest and other bands will consider following suit. Until then, it is somewhat unfair to suggest that other bands are doing the movement injustice by continuing with what works successfully for them.

With your evident passion, it sounds like if anyone can make this happen, you can.

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I don't believe that popular music arrangements are necessarily a bad thing for brass bands, any more than arrangements of Jazz, Classical, or any other genre of music are bad for brass bands. What is important is that something interesting and musically wothwhile is done with the arrangement.

I did once pick up a CD of "The London Symphony orchestra plays the music of Oasis," as a bit of a laugh, and I'm actually really impressed with the calibre of the arrangements now I look back at it. When one also considers the popularity of their 'classic rock' series of albums, and the enduring nature of some of those recordings, why on earth do certain sectors of our membership (I'm looking at you its_jon) think that it's not OK for popular music to be part of a brass band's repertoire?

OK, with the LSO it's the exception to play this type of repertoire rather than as it is with some bands (though not all) the rule. Though I have also heard the Halle orchestra finish with the Knightsbridge march, billed by their MD as the theme from 'in town tonight' as their encore - A low-brow choice for them, but it earned them a standing ovation.

There is nothing wrong with a good pop arrangement. The important factors are first, the quality of the original material, and second, the care taken to make the arrangement musically interesting and rewarding. I'm clearly not going to name names, but it's obvious to all who takes care and who doesn't. If you're really that annoyed by bad arrangements, then vote with your wallet and don't buy them! Pay for quality where you find it, and don't play anything you as a band are not happy with the quality of. Problem solved!

In my opinion, what's the problem with pop arrangements is the frankly awful musical quality of what passes for pop music today (three chords, if that, meaningless, banal lyrics and the odd predictable gear-shift key-change in the last reprise of the chorus) and the fact that several large publishers feel they can make money by publishing low-difficulty arrangements of said low-grade music.

When one couples a poor arrangement with poor subject matter, what do you expect to happen?

My advice? Vote with your wallet. Pay for quality, play scores where the arranger has taken care to ensure the interest of both the audience and the player. Ignore anything that's clearly written in four parts with a lot of copy-paste to expand the parts out and a massive repeat to add length without adding any redeeming features whatsoever.

The quality of music is not diminished simply because it is an arrangement from another genre any more than it is increased by being an original work for that ensemble. Quality will shine though whatever - as will a paucity of the same.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

LSO have built their reputation performing Original classical work to the very highest of standards.
    Not by releasing pop covers.
    Hats off to them that they can let their hair down and release pop or rock albums as well.

Make no mistake though, the LSO are first and foremost exemplary exponents of Original Classical music

By comparison,

Brass Bands now have a reputation for performing pop covers unfortunatly, and not always to the highest of standards.
    We also perform other genra of music to a lesser extent, some original Brass Band works

Make no mistake though, Brass Bands are now first and foremost exponents of pop arrangements.

Im not against pop arrangements for Brass Bands.
    There is a place for all types of music.

Its the balance thats all wrong.

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    And black dyke have built their reputation by playing everything that is put in front of them to a very high standard - a lot of it original repertoire. That is entirely beside the point. The LSO do not do project like the 'classic rock' series to let their hair down. the do it because it sells records.

Your position is consistently that we're more likely to see bands flourish if they ditch the popular music and revert to original repertoire - yet go to any bandstand in the summer and you'll find out precisely how worng you are.

Also look back through what is considered some of the finest regular brass band repertoire for around 100 years and you'll be lucky to find a quarter of it that is truly original band music.

Brass bands are musically omnivorous, and always has been. Putting a band on a solid diet of bespoke compositions would not only be counter-productive, it would undermine everything bands have ever done.

Getting rid of the 'popular' music has never been the answer, so why on earth should it be now?
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

My position is consistently one of Originality.

What is consistantly misinterperated is that 'Original' means non popular.

Another misinterperatation that 'Original' means traditional.
    ie. "revert to original repertoire"

Very true that Brass Band original repitoir is the smaller fraction of our libraries.
    Musical magpies and always has been.

"Getting rid of the 'popular' music has never been the answer, so why on earth should it be now?"
    Your words not mine.

Im not against pop arrangements for Brass Bands.
    There is a place for all types of music.

Its the balance thats all wrong.

"And black dyke have built their reputation by playing everything that is put in front of them to a very high standard - a lot of it original repertoire. That is entirely beside the point."
    I agree

"yet go to any bandstand in the summer and you'll find out precisely how worng you are"
    What will I see ?

"The LSO do not do project like the 'classic rock' series to let their hair down. the do it because it sells records"
    Probably that as well... but I bet they get the feeling of letting their hair down at the same time.

More Originality please
    If that Originality happens to also be Popular than thats fantastic !

again... Popular does not neccesarily have to be 'pop'

Less Cover Versions please.

Gone quiet... :P

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetTom View Post
    Gone quiet... :P
    I don't see why you have went quiet ... . What attracts attention to a band playing in public is music that is recognised. In your original post you said that sometimes pop(ular) music sounds cheesy. This can only be because of the quality of performance style and/or the arrangement in my opinion. You track back since bands started recording/playing chart music and how much of it is cringeworthy? I've always wondered if bands recorded these albums just to try and get a share of the easy listening market, which exploited the pop music of the times then pampered it for an older audience? I don't think it holds as well in present times.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast