Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spooky walk music ?

spooky walk music ?

In Cartoons, when someone/something is creeping up on another... You often get that spooky walk music (often played on a xylophone)

What is it originally from ?

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by its_jon View Post
    In Cartoons, when someone/something is creeping up on another... You often get that spooky walk music (often played on a xylophone)

What is it originally from ?

Scooby Doo?
    Nothing to see

Could be ... Or could it actually be a bit of Bach ??

Im sure I have heard it in Cartoons from the start of the last century, way before Scoob.

Was it originaly created for a toon or an excerpt of classical music popularised by a toon ?

Its atually for a piece im writing called Zoinks (with mystery machines in mind) but I just want to make sure its not something in copyright.

I know versions of that motif were around during the silent movie era, maybe you should be looking to composers who wrote for those early films?
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

tMP Friend in Training Euphanasia's Avatar
    To my shame I know that the motif you refer to appears in the brass band version of the Addams Family, arranged by Alan Beaumont........so it has been used in an arrangement before, with (presumably) no copyright issues?

Last edited by Euphanasia; 10.08.2012 at 10:28. Reason: Teeny tiny font!

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by its_jon View Post
    Could be ... Or could it actually be a bit of Bach ??
    The first 5 notes are similar to the theme from the Musical Offering, which is maybe what you're thinking of? Only similar though, not the same - rhythm's the same, but the notes are C, Eb, G, Ab, (low) B.

Haven't I heard this used for Keystone Cops movies? Not sure at what date the soundtrack would have been attached though.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Master Friend
    Apparently it's called "The Slimy Viper" although here it is called "The Villain"
    see here from 6.13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19lf_NrxR4
    I can't find any more info though....

Composed in 1918 by Gaston Borch (1871-1926)
    http://www.freewebs.com/photoplayer/
    so looks like you're ok on the copyright front!

The "Slimy Viper" cue, as played on the freewebs site, is not the same as the cue posted by Jon at the start of the thread ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

Drat - no midi player on the machine I posted from. Sorry.

Not your fault; the bum steer came from a 3rd-party comment on the Youtube link ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Master Friend
    Jon - if it is Mysterioso Pizzicato as above it is still in copyright and controlled by Universal so best avoided. Write something "suggestive" of it instead....

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Norman View Post
    Jon - if it is Mysterioso Pizzicato as above it is still in copyright and controlled by Universal so best avoided. Write something "suggestive" of it instead....
    Update on the copyright - it is Public Domain in Uk and Europe although not in USA and Ivory Coast (?) so as long as you put a disclaimer to the effect that it is only for download in UK & Europe you will be legal.
    My thanks to Faber for their help in clarifying this so quickly.

Thanks Everyone !

Looks as if it IS Mysterioso Pizzicato.

I will include the Mysterioso Pizzicato
    motif in the music with a Disclaimer as proposed by Andrew Norman.

additional..

Following on from recent feedback (during this thread) from one of our valued contributers at FMFK
    It has been suggested that we could mirror the success Open Source/Free software has had in the I.T. world by allowing master files on the FMFK site.

This would allow everyone access to original files which would probably offer a huge head start for many, allowing everyone to participate, contribute, improve and tweak for the benefit of all.

In the light of this suggestion, I thought I would do two things....
    Firstly, offer this idea open for public debate and secondly, dip the toe in the water by offering the Halloween Special number I am working on as the first open work.for example, many learner bands often have too many cornets and no horns, so anyone could rework the score to suit.

Publication of master files in the proposed way would be restricted to free and open formats such as MXML or native MuseScore (which is free and multiplatform). It would be counter-productive to publish files that required users to first have to buy software to participate. This is what I will do with 'Zoinks !' - (The Halloween Special for FMFK) I will put the master MuseScore Zoinks ! On FMFK in a new section called M-M-Pot for Music Melting Pot in native MuseScore and MXML format.

Basic Guide Lines... final submissions and or changes to be sent no later than October 25th to allow time to prepare the final work for Halloween.
    Of course after this date, the file is still open to adaptation by anyone.

Either change, adapt, FIX or even start new movements.

The finished work will be freely 100% open source licensed under the :-

Zoinks ! by FMFK Collective is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Hopefully the piece will be cohesive

I will set up the M-M-Pot section on FMFK ASAP and include the first very draft like Zoinks ! For deliberation.

Any thoughts on the Melting pot idea ?
    I also can not see any reason why any composer should not be able to offer original copyright free master files on FMFK should he or she wish to do so.

Any thoughts on the Melting pot idea ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast