Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Olympic National Anthem

tMP Master Friend

Not! I think it sounds like the work of a poor GCSE student, who only has one ear - and that's his deaf one....

They obviously asked the wrong Philip.
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

tMP Master Friend

On the other hand, only 38 countries have won gold so far, so that's 166 of his arrangements we haven't had to endure to date. Every cloud has a silver lining!
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

Least they didn't ask Jedward or NDubz or Tinchy Strider or someone like that to do it....

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    ... and don't patronise me by suggesting I'm unable to distinguish between "different" and "technically incorrect, and therefore weak" harmony. If people had wanted "different", they could have used the Gordon Jacob harmonisation ...
    if everyone thought like this, how could progress ever come about?

Quote Originally Posted by ben16 View Post
    if everyone thought like this, how could progress ever come about?
    Sorry, I don't follow ... ?
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo Music Press View Post
    Not! I think it sounds like the work of a poor GCSE student, who only has one ear - and that's his deaf one....

They obviously asked the wrong Philip.
    Thats nice!
    Last edited by simonium; 07.08.2012 at 21:17. Reason: A bit too full on criticism of a venerable senior member.
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    I wonder what thought process led him to arrange it that way. "Rearrange the national anthem" is really a very simple assignment, and I daresay there are tens of thousands of musicians all over who fancy that they would have done a job of it that would have pleased more people (I know I do, and I bet a lot of you do too). My guess is that he's tried to be a bit too clever - breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules, without devoting sufficient thought to the reason those rules exist in the first place. We could get a bit highflown, and see a more general problem with academic music illustrated in this - the throwing out of the past without thinking much about what is to replace it. But maybe that's reading a bit much into it. Maybe he just had so many anthems to arrange that he ran out of time to polish!
    Last edited by MoominDave; 07.08.2012 at 21:38.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    I wonder what thought process led him to arrange it that way. "Rearrange the national anthem" is really a very simple assignment, and I daresay there are tens of thousands of musicians all over who fancy that they would have done a job of it that would have pleased more people (I know I do, and I bet a lot of you do too). My guess is that he's tried to be a bit too clever - breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules, without devoting sufficient thought to the reason those rules exist in the first place. We could get a bit highflown, and see a more general problem with academic music illustrated in this - the throwing out of the past without thinking much about what is to replace it. But maybe that's reading a bit much into it. Maybe he just had so many anthems to arrange that he ran out of time to polish!
    Possibly, but he did rearrange it for the closing ceremony in Bejing I think, don't know if it's the same one. He probably just got abit bored :P

and GJG, I think Ben meant how would music move forward and new music and harmonies be created?

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetTom View Post
    Least they didn't ask Jedward or NDubz or Tinchy Strider or someone like that to do it....
    At least then it would have been a totally different approach - this is just a "classical" style rehashing

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo Music Press View Post
    On the other hand, only 38 countries have won gold so far, so that's 166 of his arrangements we haven't had to endure to date. Every cloud has a silver lining!
    Pity then the Gamesmakers who welcomed the respective teams to the Olympic Village and thus heard their anthems played...
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

tMP Friend in Training
    If your going to change it, you might as well make a BIG change, instead of this feeble illiterate effort. Too bad Bill Evans isnt alive, now that would have been an arrangement worth listening to.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by fabled inferno View Post
    If your going to change it, you might as well make a BIG change, instead of this feeble illiterate effort. Too bad Bill Evans isnt alive, now that would have been an arrangement worth listening to.
    Instead of the traditional drum roll, maybe a 14 bar drum solo as an intro, then instead of the "tah tah tah dah" a 4 bar rift a la Maynard Ferguson ? Im sure Lizzie would love it !
    Last edited by Ianroberts; 08.08.2012 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by JesTperfect! View Post
    It's grown on me. I quite like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetmike View Post
    So will mould, eventually
    True enough

In fairness, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's good....

Perhaps I'm just getting caught up in the olympic spirit (did you know that, until a couple of days ago, Cornwall had won more golds than Australia?! ), and therefore have grown to 'like' it because of what it represents. Or something.

''after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible''

True enough

In fairness, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's good....

Perhaps I'm just getting caught up in the olympic spirit (did you know that, until a couple of days ago, Cornwall had won more golds than Australia?! ), and therefore have grown to 'like' it because of what it represents. Or something.
    Hey Yorkshire are about 11th in the medals table :P

... Cornwall had won more golds than Australia?! )...
    Poor old Oz. A few days ago the Sydney Telegraph was reduced to combining Australia's and New Zealand's winnings in the medals table under the name 'Aus Zealand' to make things look a bit more respectable. No gloating, now.
    Jim Yelland
    Hinckley

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast