Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Olympic National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
    Absolutely!

tMP Senior Friend
    Shame Stravinsky wasn't around to arrange the Olympic Anthems...

Although according to "urban legend" he was arrested for re-harmonising the Star-Spangled Banner as apparently this was illegal?! I think this may have been his exaggeration though, much like the infamous "Rite of Spring" riot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYCqFfpNGQ
    Alan Duguid
    MD Redbridge Brass

tMP Master Friend
    the bloke is a philastine ! its not the National Anthem without the "Ta da da da"

Quote Originally Posted by Ianroberts View Post
    the bloke is a philastine ! its not the National Anthem without the "Ta da da da"
    To which my kids insist on singing "And Prince Philip!"

Quote Originally Posted by T Winch View Post
    To which my kids insist on singing "And Prince Philip!"
    Brill !

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

I'm so glad that we've got a crappy old box telly with dodgy sound then!

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    You know what?

I think the bloke deserves a bit of credit for trying to do something original.

Let's face it, God Save The Queen is not the most musically interesting anthem ever written - (the Russians probably have a big shout for that one) and was well overdue a bit of a looking at. We don't mind when an arranger inverts a few chords and puts a couple of clever harmonies in hymn tunes to we?

OK, I'd agree it isn't the best example of a re-interpretation.... in fact, it really ain't a brilliant arrangement by any stretch if I'm being blunt... but I'm not going to object to a re-working of the anthem on principle. Least of all one as dirgey as GSTQ.

And I for one REALLY don't miss the 'first four notes to eastenders' now they've gone. Good riddance to them. From what I recall, they're a later addition to the original tune anyway, so it seems a bit of an over-reaction that people are protesting about what amounts to the same thing.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

I appear to be in a minority....I quite like it.
    Donna Towse

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball View Post
    We don't mind when an arranger inverts a few chords and puts a couple of clever harmonies in hymn tunes to we?
    No, not when the basic rules of 4-part harmony are adhered to. But that's not the case here, is it?

My objections to Mr. Shephard's reworking are not based on taste, or subjectivity; my objective assessment is that it's harmonically unsound, (although, as I said before, not as unsound as the US anthem) if not downright incompetent.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

It's grown on me. I quite like it.

Although that's not an open invitation for bands to start recording it with us. I don't like it that much

''after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible''

tMP Friend in Training
    There was a programme on the telly which explored this in more detail than the Foreign Office Vid on you tube.

It stated that the Queen is the copyright holder for God save the Queen - so any changes had to have her approval and , apparently, she's never liked the 'missing' bar.

Also the fact that all the arrangements are different to the 'official' versions means LOCOG don't have to pay royalties on them (not that Australia would have made much money anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by JesTperfect! View Post
    It's grown on me.
    So will mould, eventually

tMP Master Friend
    The problem is brass banders always utter the same unimaginative, terrified squeaks of dismay when faced with anything different (or most of the time, something new), be it Vinter, McCabe, Bourgeois, Bingham or a variation on the national anthem. It's not my favourite but I'd rather listen to this than the turgid hymn book version.
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    But, Simon, the complaints this time appear to be that this arrangement is bad, not that it is new. Incidentally, if MDs take it slightly quicker than normal, at circa 90 bpm, (which according the Irish Guards is HM's preference) and actually play number 61 rather than sleep walk through it, it comes across a lot better.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

generalise much Simon?

I think you're missing the point a bit here - its not just banders objecting to this new version of the anthem, and its not just about 4 missing notes, its about the weird and unfamiliar harmonies that (in the opinion of many musicians whose views and knowledge I respect) have been poorly done.

I've got nothing against modern sounds if they're well written; what I don't like is change for the sake of it, and poor quality. Each to their own I guess!
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast