Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Olympic National Anthem

Olympic National Anthem

Has anyone else listened to the hideous rehashing of the National Anthem (which we are hearing so often at the Olympics) and asked themselves "WHY?!?!?!?"

The more worrying thought is that I am sure there are some arrangers out there who are now going to produce a brass band rehash of the rehash.

Is it just me who has had this thought?
    Is there any way to stop them?
    (aside from musical taste - which never seems to worry some arrangers)

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    The way to ensure that no one arranges something, Mike, surely, is not to state publically that they shouldn't....
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Previously all anthems were re-arranged at each olympics but this years are going to be reused, so we are going to be stuck with it for the next couple.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetmike View Post
    Has anyone else listened to the hideous rehashing of the National Anthem (which we are hearing so often at the Olympics) and asked themselves "WHY?!?!?!?"

The more worrying thought is that I am sure there are some arrangers out there who are now going to produce a brass band rehash of the rehash.

Is it just me who has had this thought?
    Is there any way to stop them?
    (aside from musical taste - which never seems to worry some arrangers)
    Have a look at the video below that might shed some light on your question. I won't have to worry about hearing the Irish anthem anytime soon although we do have a great chance in the boxing. Anyway that video might explain some of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmJHHp3Q1Hw
    Stephen Murray
    Principal Cornet Drogheda Brass Band

(I think you kind of missed the point there Stephen....)

Anyhoo, to answer Mike, no you definitely aren't alone! I've heard (and seen - on Twitbook etc) an awful lot of people talking about how awful Philip Sheppard's arrangement is, but have yet to hear even one person defending or praising it.

I'd like to think common sense and a little dollop of musical sense will prevail and the majority of bands will continue to use the versions they and their audiences know and love. Fingers crossed eh!
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
    (I think you kind of missed the point there Stephen....)

Anyhoo, to answer Mike, no you definitely aren't alone! I've heard (and seen - on Twitbook etc) an awful lot of people talking about how awful Philip Sheppard's arrangement is, but have yet to hear even one person defending or praising it.

I'd like to think common sense and a little dollop of musical sense will prevail and the majority of bands will continue to use the versions they and their audiences know and love. Fingers crossed eh!
    Number 61 !

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Worryingly, when interviewed by Chris Evans on the Radio 2 breakfast show, Philip Sheppard was asked if the Queen had approved it - the answer was "The Royal Household approved it". Anecdotely, I have heard that the Queen is not tone deaf (the usual test being "Can you tell the difference between God Save the Queen and Stairway to Heaven" If you can you are not tone deaf...), but it seems that someone in the Royal Household is.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Quote Originally Posted by Will the Sec View Post
    the answer was "The Royal Household approved it".
    That is a far cry from "yes, that is fantastic" coming straight from the Queen's lips, lol.
    They were hardly likely to say "off with his head."

And yes Alex - I am hoping for some musical sense and restraint from the brass band arranging community - I fear I may hope in vain.

Bring back capital punishment for treason, I say ...

Mind you, we should be grateful; his version of the US anthem is even worse ...

Seriously, it's appalling; he ignores all basic principles of harmony, and masquerades as a "professor" of music at the RCM ... ?

... would have been better off using the Stan Kenton version (for those who are wondering, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKNItauCQ8 ) ... at least it's harmonically sound, even if a little "colourful" ...

(for those who are also wondering, of course I haven't done a brass band version ... )
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

I read on a US based site, that they are not too pleased with their Anthem either. And that's being polite.
    Blow in the little end. Noise comes out the Big end.
    Simples !

Better to be a Has Been, than a Never Was!

I very much doubt Phillip Shephard is "Professor of Music" at the Royal Academy of Music. Maybe professor of cello: that's a whole different matter. I've heard only his arrangements of the USA, Australian and British anthems (I live in the USA). Based on what I've heard it's difficult to understand why he was chosen for this prestigious assignment. If a student had submitted them, I think there'd have been lots of red ink all over them.

And what's the deal about the LPO recording them in the same Abbey Road studio that the Beatles used. The LPO were recording at Abbey Road before the Beatles were born!
    Brian Bowen

Never liked it anyway.
    Anything that cheer's it up is welcome.

but

I think it should be changed to something more inspired when we loose the Queen (whenever), and potentially the union itself in 2014.
    It has often been said theat 'Jerusalem' is a more fitting song both musically and lyrically for Englands national anthem.

HERE is Jerusalem

For Scotland I would nominate "On the Turning Away - by the classic band Pink Floyd" Based purely on its sentiment, Scottishness and emotive message.
    However... I think Flower of Scotland may have grown strong roots by now.

So as not to scare people with a rock band on a brass band forum... here is a cover

Just heard the USA national anthem.

It's even worse than ours, sounds like a 12 year old asked to give the tune to everyone somewhere in 32 bars.
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nat Anth.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	3172
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

Quote Originally Posted by accidental View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nat Anth.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	3172
    Excellent!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast