Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drum sizes

tMP Senior Friend
    Many thanks to the people who actually answered my initial question. All the un-looked for info also gratefully recieved.

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ploughboy View Post
    I was taught at college to tune a 4th apart . . . .
    Eyup Garry, please excuse my ignorance but I was given to believe that it was a 5th, but am probly wrong

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by simonium View Post
    As for my kit (8/10/12/14/16 toms)...
    Please tell me you don't bother carting these about to all your rehearsals, park jobs, or ents contests! Unless you're playing some cringe-worthy arrangement of EastEnders, when in a brass band would you need all of these?! Maybe I'm lazy, but I pretty much only ever take a four piece kit
    (i.e. two toms) out with me no matter what the job is. The only time this has ever caused me any problems is if Lincolnshire Poacher gets dusted off - this sounds pretty poor with too much of an interval between toms! I'd probably be happy to blag through most things with just a snare, bass, hats and a ride if it came to it...

As for sizes, I'm happy cutting through a band with my little portable kit - 10" and 13" toms, 16" bass. If I can be bothered I might bring out my proper kit (12", 14", 18" bass), or if I want to scare people I'll bring out the 22" bass drum. Largely this decision is based on 1) what I can be bothered to carry with me and 2) whether I want to risk using my proper kit - don't think I've ever taken it to an outdoor gig.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Shed View Post
    Please tell me you don't bother carting these about to all your rehearsals, park jobs, or ents contests! Unless you're playing some cringe-worthy arrangement of EastEnders, when in a brass band would you need all of these?! Maybe I'm lazy, but I pretty much only ever take a four piece kit
    (i.e. two toms) out with me no matter what the job is. The only time this has ever caused me any problems is if Lincolnshire Poacher gets dusted off - this sounds pretty poor with too much of an interval between toms! I'd probably be happy to blag through most things with just a snare, bass, hats and a ride if it came to it...

As for sizes, I'm happy cutting through a band with my little portable kit - 10" and 13" toms, 16" bass. If I can be bothered I might bring out my proper kit (12", 14", 18" bass), or if I want to scare people I'll bring out the 22" bass drum. Largely this decision is based on 1) what I can be bothered to carry with me and 2) whether I want to risk using my proper kit - don't think I've ever taken it to an outdoor gig.
    Ha ha! No I swore many moons ago never to play drums in a brass band again and have mostly stuck to this. If I did, it would be a 4/5 piece tops. With plenty of cymbals, but that's another issue.
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

I don't think it matters too much whether you go for the fusion kit sizes or the rock sizes. As long as the kit is in tune and the snare is reasonably tight (for marches and stuff) that's if you're not using a seperate concert snare for marches or overtures etc. I personally like to use a four piece for concerts, 10" 14" Toms, 20" Bass, it depends what we're supplied with at the concert venue. But as far as general kits for bog standard concerts go, I suppose a five piece consisting of 10", 12", 14" Toms, 20" or 22" Bass Drum is an ideal set up and gives good range. It's all down to personal taste at the end of the day.

tMP Friend in Training
    Its amazing how little kit you can get away with in some circumstances. In a previous life I used to play jazz piano, and came across a drummer called Caroline Bowden from Dronfield. She had a tiny kit, snare, bass drum, hit hats and two cymbals. She could make it sound like a massive outfit, I had to keep looking round, trying to work out how she made such amazing sounds from such a minimalist kit.

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    The late, great Norrie Grundy regularly accompanied the Fulham Brass Ramblers with only a snare drum, a hi hat and a tambourine ("For special pieces like 'Tea for Two', Will"). Oh, and some sticks. If anyone ever felt anything was 'missing', I'd be amazed.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

I would tend to take my full kit to concerts 12, 13, 14 rack toms, 16, 18 floor toms and my 14 x 8.5 snare, 15 hi-hats, 22 crash ride and 2 18 crashes. BTW did i mentioned I play with 3S Varter sticks?

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by matthetimp View Post
    BTW did i mentioned I play with 3S Varter sticks?
    Are they lighter or heavier than Vick Firth 5AN ?

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by animal.22 View Post
    Are they lighter or heavier than Vick Firth 5AN ?
    And are they anything like Vater sticks?! they're tree trunks essentially, beloved of metal drummers determined to use heavier sticks than anyone else.
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

They are most probably the biggest and heaviest drum stick you can get if I'm honest......but I like them and its my own sound....not a brass band drummer sound by any means......which has been commented on before.....

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by matthetimp View Post
    They are most probably the biggest and heaviest drum stick you can get if I'm honest......but I like them and its my own sound....not a brass band drummer sound by any means......which has been commented on before.....
    A guess al not bother wi them then coz av bin told am too evy anded anyroad

Quote Originally Posted by fabled inferno View Post
    .....The most important things are, the best snare and snare heads you can afford, a loud deep bass drum, and the most expensive cymbals you can find.
    I would say a fat 'clicky' kick drum would be best, a deep kick can be muffled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2