Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drum sizes

tMP Senior Friend

Drum sizes

What is generally the prefered drum sizes for kits in brass bands? The old favourite of :-

12" 13" 16" toms & 22" kick (rock sizes) or

10" 12" 14" toms & 20" kick (fusion sizes) just wondered.

tMP Friend in Training
    I think it is very much a personal choice. Top end kits offer near limitless options as opposed to fixed shell packs. It is also more common now to have shallower toms in "quick or fast" sizes. Add into that different skin choices and tunings and you can get all sorts of sounds from your drums! Lots of my pupils get a mixture of the two sets you mentioned - 10, 12, 14 with a 22 bass - this seems a very common combo in mid-range kits. For me personally, I like "power" size toms with a smaller kick - 10x9, 12x10, 14x12 and 20x16.
    Colin Gray
    Percussion The Flowers Band

tMP Senior Friend
    It was just a general musing as to what sizes were most popular for brass. It does seem to be that a lot of people are down sizing throughout the music scene and wondered how it was with brass bands.
    Cheers

tMP Senior Friend
    General apathy then! I guess I should have expected it.

tMP Friend in Training
    I would say it doesnt matter what sizes or how much you spend. Good heads and good tuning are much more important. The most important things are, the best snare and snare heads you can afford, a loud deep bass drum, and the most expensive cymbals you can find.

tMP Senior Friend
    <<< walks away and gently but rythmicly bangs his head against a wall

Quote Originally Posted by fabled inferno View Post
    The most important things are, the best snare and snare heads you can afford, a loud deep bass drum, and the most expensive cymbals you can find.
    Shouldn't that be "the loudest cymbals you can find" ... ?
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Master Friend
    Our drummers have a 10/12/14/22 set up. It makes far more sense than the 12/13/16/22 combination that was prevalent a few years back. It makes tuning much more easy as well as setting up and transport. Having played drums in brass bands before transferring to euphonium, I will say that of all band instruments in my experience drum kits are usually the least maintained and of poorest quality.
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    I'll ask the dumb question that springs to mind, and probably shows me as a total philistine...

What's the procedure for tuning a kit drum? I don't think I've ever seen a percussionist doing this... Do you need to tune in certain resonances, or is it just a case of getting the thing tight? In my ignorance, I'd assumed that "unpitched" meant exactly that - i.e. higher or lower than the next drum, but not with any huge degree of pitch precision.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    I don't know precisely, but there was a clip on You Tube of Phil Collins tuning his drums ahead of recording Goody Two Shoes with Adam Ant.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by fabled inferno View Post
    I would say the most expensive cymbals you can find.

Surely bin lids are more than adequate ?

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    Shouldn't that be "the loudest cymbals you can find" ... ?
    Choice of cymbals is very important. In particular, finding the right blend of metal can improve the sound of not only the drum kit, but the whole band by reducing certain ugly frequencies. After years of research into this, I found that melting the bass trombone down to make a cymbal vastly improves the sound of the band...

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    I'll ask the dumb question that springs to mind, and probably shows me as a total philistine...

What's the procedure for tuning a kit drum? I don't think I've ever seen a percussionist doing this... Do you need to tune in certain resonances, or is it just a case of getting the thing tight? In my ignorance, I'd assumed that "unpitched" meant exactly that - i.e. higher or lower than the next drum, but not with any huge degree of pitch precision.
    Each drum shell has a natural resonance which suits it and I usually try and tune both heads to this pitch. The bottom head (resonant) amplifies the top head so getting them similar is important although interesting effects can be generated with disparate pitches. As for my kit (8/10/12/14/16 toms) I like to have an octave difference between the 8 and 12 and another between the 12 and 16. The 10 and 14 are tuned exactly midway their neighboring drums. I don't use specific pitches but some drummers - Terry Bozzio most notably - do. It's all good clean fun!
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Shed View Post
    Choice of cymbals is very important. In particular, finding the right blend of metal can improve the sound of not only the drum kit, but the whole band by reducing certain ugly frequencies. After years of research into this, I found that melting the bass trombone down to make a cymbal vastly improves the sound of the band...
    Brilliant!
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post

I was taught at college to tune a 4th apart . . . .
    Garry Hallas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast