Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Brass Band Dictionary

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    PP - A musical direction that allows players to discern that there are only two dynamics. This one being pretty powerful
    FF - A musical direction that allows players to discern that there are only two dynamics. This one being frightfully frantic (edited for family viewing)

These are mostly appplied to Trombone players
    Nothing to see

mp - One of a pair of musical dynamic markings which are used to indicate the same level of noise. mp is used to mean Mighty Powerful. Its counterpart mf is used to mean Mighty Forceful. Both of these dynamics are meant to be played louder than f. (2 letters makes it louder!)
    Last edited by mikelyons; 05.08.2012 at 09:16.
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

Trumpet - a dog that suffers from flatulence.
    Tympani - Like orphan Annie, but more badly beaten.
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by James Yelland View Post
    It's probably just me being dense, but I don't understand your point - could you explain, please? Sorry.
    My point was facetiously expressed and off topic - in essence put with the old and in with the new! The sooner we stop harking back to halcyon days of Mortimer, Boddington, Hargreaves et al the sooner we can develop as a movement. Mr Gay, as a senior member of banfing's elite is happy to stay precisely where he is. I'd love to develop this as an idea so new thread perhaps?
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by simonium View Post
    My point was facetiously expressed and off topic - in essence put with the old and in with the new! The sooner we stop harking back to halcyon days of Mortimer, Boddington, Hargreaves et al the sooner we can develop as a movement. Mr Gay, as a senior member of banfing's elite is happy to stay precisely where he is. I'd love to develop this as an idea so new thread perhaps?

OK, I'm with you. Although to be fair, Mr Gay was very much a force for advancement back in the seventies. As Music Editor at Novello he nurtured, encouraged and commissioned new music from composers unknown to the brass band fraternity - Joseph Horovitz and John McCabe are two who come immediately to mind. As Editor of Sounding Brass magazine he tried to find areas of mutual interest between bandsmen and other brass players and bring bands more into the musical mainstream. And of course, not only was he the man responsible for inventing the entertainments contest format, he persuaded Granada Television to broadcast the first entertainments contest to a nationwide audience for 14 years before Granada called time.

The 1970s were exciting times, with new music being commissioned from a wide variety of sources and bands reaching new audiences through television and prestigious engagements at the Proms, London's South Bank, Cheltenham and Harrogate festivals and much more. Bram Gay was one of the people who brought some of those things to fruition. If it's reactionaries you're looking for, I can think of many more eligible candidates.

Anyway, back on topic, and I'll keep an eye out for any new thread on this subject!
    Last edited by James Yelland; 05.08.2012 at 15:31.
    Jim Yelland
    Hinckley

Tutti = The easy Bits
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    (Paraphrased from someone's siggy) Rallentando = slowing down as you approach a bit you cannot play.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Topic =1. A chocolate bar with a hazelnut in every bite; 2. a very loose interpretation of the subject of an internet forum thread
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Solo - So quiet we can't hear it!
    Andante - The range of speeds that a marching band sets off at. In order to control this tempo and avoid unsightly shuffling, you need to ensure the trombones are all shorter than 5'6".
    Puppy juggler wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour_Laura View Post
    If only you could "like" posts!
    A long time ago, tMP had reputation points, where you could + or - a person's reputation if you liked or disliked a post. It all seemed a bit silly to me, especially when I realised I was miffed about a negative laid against me. The problem was, you didn't know who was 'dissing' you, so had no right to reply. (Sound familiar?)

For whatever reasons, TMM pulled the plug.

I do like the concept of a simple "Like" button, though.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

'Contest' - Trying before you buy a new Trombone
    Nothing to see

Quavers - a light cheesy snack obtained in conjunction with "bar lines" and "bar" (posts 8 and 7)

Semi-Quavers - the result of your bass player sitting on the above.
    Last edited by bassmittens; 06.08.2012 at 15:52.
    Lindon Bolt
    Conductor - Deepcar Brass Band http://www.deepcarbrassband.org.uk/

EEb Bass (not playing regularly)
    BBb Bass 'If I have to.......but just this once!!!'
    Bass Trombone - slowly in progress.

tMP Friend in Training
    Cornet - a receptical for Ice Cream

'Repiano' - (Re: Piano) An email to all players, asking them to play quieter.
    Nothing to see

Quote Originally Posted by bassmittens View Post
    Quavers - a light cheesy snack obtained in conjunction with "bar lines" and "bar" (posts 8 and 7)

Semi-Quavers - the result of your bass player sitting on the above.
    For old tMPers:

Sparkling Quavers: Cake maker extraordinary
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast