Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Classical music published by The SA or arranged by 'SA' composers

Coronation march from The Prophet (Meyerbeer arr Jakeway).
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

Quote Originally Posted by stevetrom View Post
    with reference to another topic re: why don't more non SA bands play SA music.

a post was made stating that ALL SA music had to have a religous reference.

Do all the classical pieces meet this?
    Arrangements of Classical music were one of the original types of non-religious allowed; hence quite a lot of them in the early years.
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

As I recall from questioning this as a young SA player, apparently "quality" (classical) music was seen as a way of proving the musical ability of emerging SA bands; it also attracted non-SA musical devotees; there was also a view that most of the classical composers recognised their gifts as being God-given and indeed inscribed scores to that effect.......all (or none!) of these may be correct.

Re Unity Series "Great Composers" - remember it well!! Band lads (few girls back in the 60s/early 70s) everywhere tok great delight in giving big licks to "William Tell" in front of the old dears.......

One classical arrngement that comes to mind is the beautiful "Gymnopedie No 1" which if I recall did have SA words set to it.
    perthshirebrass.co.uk
    Three time tMP Caption Competition winner - only thing I've ever won...........

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    One classical arrngement that comes to mind is the beautiful "Gymnopedie No 1" which if I recall did have SA words set to it.
    It's published in the Festival Series, No. 486, but I'm not aware of anyone setting words to it -- and probably best not to.
    Brian Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowen View Post
    It's published in the Festival Series, No. 486, but I'm not aware of anyone setting words to it -- and probably best not to.
    I stand corrected by two impeccable sources re my imagined words - the estimable Mr Bowen and also my wife who assures me that I am talking nonsense (for once?!) !
    perthshirebrass.co.uk
    Three time tMP Caption Competition winner - only thing I've ever won...........

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    ...Unity Series "Great Composers" - remember it well!! Band lads (few girls back in the 60s/early 70s) everywhere tok great delight in giving big licks to "William Tell" in front of the old dears...
    Along with Me always splitting the Top G's in the earlier schubert (I think it was) bit. Those Orange, Blue, and Green Books got an absolute hammering!
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

Previously known as "Essex Elvis" Red Elvis's Avatar
    Can't for the life of me remeber what it was called / who composed / arranged it but there was a lovely euph part in one of the classical transcriptions in the orange Unity Series books (well , to be honest it was mostly arrpegios and scalic runs but as a young euph player at the time I thought it was the business !!) - a Mozart or Beethoven I think , or even Haydn perhaps. Long time ago now !!
    "Then raise the scarlet banner high , beneath its folds we'll live and die.Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer we'll keep the Red Flag flying here"
    Phil
    TMP Political Commissar
    EEb Bass
    Aveley and Newham Band

Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis View Post
    Can't for the life of me remeber what it was called / who composed / arranged it but there was a lovely euph part in one of the classical transcriptions in the orange Unity Series books (well , to be honest it was mostly arrpegios and scalic runs but as a young euph player at the time I thought it was the business !!) - a Mozart or Beethoven I think , or even Haydn perhaps. Long time ago now !!
    i think it might have been a theme from Schubert's 5th Symphony

tMP Friend in Training kiwiinoz's Avatar
    I remember in a jnr SA band flogging March in Scipio !!!!...........yuck

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
    I remember in a jnr SA band flogging March in Scipio !!!!...........yuck
    some of the arrangements were quite poor, and I'm afraid one of my least favourites is Treasures from Tchaikovsky, but, they did introduce us to classical music, and i am glad of that, and whilst not all classical music is overtly religious, it opens the mind to other possibilities, and other spiritual experiences.

I would love to hear a recording of 3rd movement from Rachmanioff 2nd Piano Concerto arr. William Himes. I've got a cassette from The Canadian Staff band accompanying Howard Evans in 1991,so I could do with a replacement please

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2