Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Classical music published by The SA or arranged by 'SA' composers

  1. #1
    tMP Prime Friend johnflugel's Avatar
    Join Date
    28.12.2002
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,217

    Classical music published by The SA or arranged by 'SA' composers

    Simple one this - name your favourites and/or the ones that you think should be recorded again or perhaps even for the first time..............
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

  2. #2
    tMP Senior Friend pbirch's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    364
    George Marshalls transcription of the first movement of Schubert's 8th Symphony
    William Himes transcription Elsa Procession
    Micheal Kenyons transcriptions of Chabriers Marche Joyeuse and themes from Schubert's 5th Symphony

  3. #3
    tMP Prime Friend John Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    30.09.2003
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,013
    Themes from the Italian Symphony - Mendelssohn, arr. Dean Goffin and I agree with Mr. Birch re Brian Bowen's transcription of the Schubert 5th.

    Dvorak's New World was recorded not too long ago by Enfield Citadel but not RS-A's Melodies of Dvorak which I really like.

    When can I place my order

  4. #4
    tMP Senior Friend pbirch's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brooks View Post
    Themes from the Italian Symphony - Mendelssohn, arr. Dean Goffin and I agree with Mr. Birch re Brian Bowen's transcription of the Schubert 5th.

    Dvorak's New World was recorded not too long ago by Enfield Citadel but not RS-A's Melodies of Dvorak which I really like.

    When can I place my order

    I am sure that it was Michael Kenyon who arranged the Schubert, my only quibble with RSA's New World is that he recomposed the ending, Dvorak finished on a quiet note of some ambiguity, rather than a loud note of triumph. I think I prefer Dvoraks ending

  5. #5
    tMP Prime Friend John Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    30.09.2003
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,013
    Just thought of a couple more: Fugue in G, Bach, arr. Erik Leidzen - only recording I'm aware of is by the New York Staff Band back in the 60's. It's short but really works well with brass. Also, someone (sorry, I can't remember who) arranged the Litolf Scherzo from Concerto Symphonique for a Canadian Staff Band concert in Toronto. It's never been recorded and, to my knowledge has never been used since (Black Dyke recorded a different transcription on Ivory and Brass with pianist Keith Swallow).

  6. #6
    tMP Prime Friend John Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    30.09.2003
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by pbirch View Post
    I am sure that it was Michael Kenyon who arranged the Schubert, my only quibble with RSA's New World is that he recomposed the ending, Dvorak finished on a quiet note of some ambiguity, rather than a loud note of triumph. I think I prefer Dvoraks ending
    Can't say I'm aware of a Michael Kenyon arrangement of the Schubert 5th; maybe Brian can clarify but it's Brian's transcription I have in mind.

  7. #7
    tMP Prime Friend stevetrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    19.03.2003
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,794
    with reference to another topic re: why don't more non SA bands play SA music.

    a post was made stating that ALL SA music had to have a religous reference.

    Do all the classical pieces meet this?
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

    The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

  8. #8
    tMP Prime Friend Brian Bowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.2003
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brooks View Post
    Can't say I'm aware of a Michael Kenyon arrangement of the Schubert 5th; maybe Brian can clarify but it's Brian's transcription I have in mind.
    Yes, the version of Schubert's 5th Symphony published by the SA is mine.
    Brian Bowen

  9. #9
    Super Moderator PeterBale's Avatar
    Join Date
    18.12.2002
    Location
    Hadleigh, Essex
    Posts
    20,510
    Sains-Saens: Marche militaire francaise (arr Kenyon); Tchaikovsky: Marche slave (arr Phillips); Tchaikovsky: Finale to 4th Symphony (Bill Gordon?)
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

  10. #10
    tMP Senior Friend pbirch's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bowen View Post
    Yes, the version of Schubert's 5th Symphony published by the SA is mine.
    sorry about that, it has been far too long since we played it, and I think it is a great piece, both in its original version and yours.

  11. #11
    tMP Friend in Training kiwiinoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    19.06.2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    71
    I remember hearing a Trevor Davis arrangment that the ISB played in New Zealand around 1997 when they were there. i think it was the overture to sleeping beauty or similar. Does anyone know of it

  12. #12
    tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.04.2003
    Location
    Wellingborough, NN8 2QH
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
    I remember hearing a Trevor Davis arrangment that the ISB played in New Zealand around 1997 when they were there. i think it was the overture to sleeping beauty or similar. Does anyone know of it
    The music was Excerpts from Act 1 of Swan Lake and the visit to New Zealand was in 1995.

  13. #13
    tMP Friend in Training kiwiinoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    19.06.2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofBrass.com View Post
    The music was Excerpts from Act 1 of Swan Lake and the visit to New Zealand was in 1995.
    Thanks so much for that. My bad on both the name of the piece and the year of the tour. The years are flying arent they!!

  14. #14
    tMP Prime Friend John Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    30.09.2003
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,013
    Treasures from Tchaikovsky, arr. Bramwell Coles
    Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 - Liszt, arr. Robert Redhead
    Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart, arr. Erik Leidzen
    Concerto for Trombone - Rimsky-Korsakov, arr. Robert Redhead

  15. #15
    tMP Senior Friend pbirch's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    364
    anyone remember playing 'Melodies from Great Composers" in the old unity series books? I think it was my first introduction to classical music.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •