Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uniforms - Black Shirts

tMP Senior Friend

Uniforms - Black Shirts

My band is considering changing its uniform from the traditional blazer and white shirt to something more modern and/or less formal.

One proposal is for the band to simply wear black shirts/blouses (possibly with a coloured tie) at some of the less formal jobs such as summer fetes etc. However, the problem with this is that, if the band is asked to buy black shirts, there will be a number of different 'shades' that appear, which could look quite untidy.

Do any other bands play in just black shirts, and if so, how do you get round this problem? One option is for the band to buy everybody a shirt, but what about deps?

If you wear a waistcoat with the black shirt, then I expect it will not be a problem because the waistcoat will cover most of it up - although again, comments and advice from any bands who have such a uniform would be welcome!

Thanks
    The only reason Sopranos play loudly is to cover up for the inadequacies of the front row!

Andrew Cooper
    Soprano - Waterbeach Brass Band

Grimethorpe used black shirts for Brass in Concert 2010. I simply got everybodies sizes and then visited Matalan. 5 each - bargain

Yorkshire Co-op used to play in black shirts all the time and whilst I was there there were no problems with shades. I suupose the only problem is when its sunny outside. The band buying everyone a shirt sounds expensive, especially with constantly changing personel and players come in many different shapes and sizes, personally, I would save your money and get people to buy their own.
    Thomas Brown

Quote Originally Posted by bannisa View Post
    Grimethorpe used black shirts for Brass in Concert 2010. I simply got everybodies sizes and then visited Matalan. 5 each - bargain
    If the band weren't able to pay for everyone's shirts, I don't think it would be unreasonable to get everyone to pay for their own, but get someone to get them all from the same place, as Andrew said. I'd get a few various sizes for deps though - me, my hubby and the young 'un depped for a local potteries band who wear black shirts (you know who you are), not knowing that this was their uniform. If they'd told us I'm sure we could've got some, unfortunately they didn't and we were the odd ones out wearing white shirts - didn't really stand out - MUCH!! To make it worse we got earache off certain band members for not having black shirts! Only prob is when they start to fade, and then don't look so smart. I think a black shirt and coloured waistcoat would be pretty smart myself
    Fiona Rolfe

tMP Friend
    My youth band wear black shirts with no tie and a blue waistcoat.

It looks really smart, and is very comfortable to wear for the players.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Most people can source a black shirt - and as said above, the waistcoat covers the majority of it.

Additionally, we issue the waistcoats at each job, so there is no problem with not having enough for deps. Being waistcoats they don't take up much room for storage either.
    Andy Grace
    MD Driffield Silver Band
    MD East Riding Youth Brass Band
    Flugel Simply Brass

I much prefer playing in an open neck shirt rather than an 18th Century lion tamers jacket!

Black shirt every time gets my vote
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

tMP Friend in Training
    At Ebbw Valley we wear open black shirts for everything. Much comfier and a lot less warm on stage I find!

With regards to where to get them from (if the band is buying) George at ASDA would probably be a decent bet. Go out and get a load of each size, should be covering for all eventualities then, and I can't see them costing that much!
    Ross Baxter
    2nd Cornet - Penclawdd Brass

tMP Friend in Training
    Plain black shirts, open neck are definitely the way forward!
    Luke Dempsey

Dalewool use these - we actually spent a bit of money on nice ones and usually wear a jacket over too. Four years on, mine is as black as ever
    Marc Nethercot

Trombone Dalewool Auckland Brass
    Conductor for hire

I think black shirts (particularly with black dinner jackets can look very very smart. The only problem I have is this............with a lot of bands now taking the option of going more 'casual' on stage (which I'm all for), are bands in danger of losing their own identity? Interesting one this. We want to stay in touch with other musical ensembles, so changing the way we look (to the general public at least) is surely a natural step forward. Maybe bands could have a more casual attire for concerts and the more traditional look for contesting?? There's something about putting on your band jacket before walking onto the contest stage, almost like a suit of armour. Thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    There's something about putting on your band jacket before walking onto the contest stage, almost like a suit of armour.
    ... more like a straitjacket ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetrom View Post
    I much prefer playing in an open neck shirt rather than an 18th Century lion tamers jacket!

Black shirt every time gets my vote
    Like button!!!
    Lindon Bolt
    Conductor - Deepcar Brass Band http://www.deepcarbrassband.org.uk/

EEb Bass (not playing regularly)
    BBb Bass 'If I have to.......but just this once!!!'
    Bass Trombone - slowly in progress.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Interesting - we do it the other way around; jackets for concerts, open neck black shirts for contests. The logic is that at contests the auditorium is usually hot and unsuitable for heavy jackets, making it harder to play well when wearing one in a situation where playing as well as possible is the whole point; however, at concerts, the jackets show the audience what we are immediately.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Master Friend
    A few things to bear in mind if you opt for black shirts:

Long or short sleeves? - cant have both

Blokes - They've got to be tucked in....and you should wear belts... but what style belt? different styles look naff

What will the women wear? same style as the men? 5 Matalan/Asda/Primark? maybe, maybe not.

They can look scruffy after a short while

What's the conductor going to wear? same attire or different colour?

We've done several concerts with trad jackets first half and black shirts in the second - can be effective
    JR

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    I think black shirts (particularly with black dinner jackets can look very very smart. The only problem I have is this............with a lot of bands now taking the option of going more 'casual' on stage (which I'm all for), are bands in danger of losing their own identity? Interesting one this. We want to stay in touch with other musical ensembles, so changing the way we look (to the general public at least) is surely a natural step forward. Maybe bands could have a more casual attire for concerts and the more traditional look for contesting?? There's something about putting on your band jacket before walking onto the contest stage, almost like a suit of armour. Thoughts please.
    I would like to agree with this, but if you go to any contest with a suitably large selection of bands the amount of duplication of uniforms you see is amazing. As far as I can tell the only difference may be in the logo on the tie or lapel badge. Having said that I've never seen a band with a copy of Brighouse's stage get up or indeed Cory's nightmarish kit. I can think of several bands in the south west that have opted for the classic Dyke look of black, red and gold though. From my own point the jackets are sartorially repulsive, uncomfortable and outmoded. Black shirts all round certainly gets my vote, as long as they are double cuffed and made from suitably fine cotton.
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast